RC poster

Mini E Revo diff shredding

Hi guys I'm looking at getting a Mini E Revo again. My first one was brushed but I'm looking at brushless. I will be running a Traxxas 2s lipo and the only other upgrade is a savox servo. Will I be able to do nice smooth wheelies without shredding diffs? I want to go easy on it, thanks Michael

RC Qualifier
    Hello.

It would take wheelies easily on 2s.
    Diff will hold up very well if you try to land without trottle on jumps.
    My mini have go many hour on 2s, and around 10 packs with 3s.
    Still running with stock driveshafts. I also use to run big joe 2 tires.
    Only issue i had after mounting them is that if you jump hig enough and land at side on the frontwheel the plastic gear get stripped in the servo.
    Servo is the only thing you need to upgrade.

RC Competitor
    Ray,you say you used to run Big Joe 2 tires. I was just about to order some for my MERV. Is that the only downfall to them? Sorry to hijack the thread Michael RC. You'll have wheelies galore with a brushless and 2s. It'll wheelie for you with the stock NIMH battery. Even more with the 2s.

RC Champion
    I run big joe II's, they are awesome. In addition to a metal gear servo, you will want an aluminum servo saver/steering bellcrank. I broke 3 in short order after i got my big joes, then upgraded it to alloy and have had no issues since....
    I run 16/50 gearing, a pair of 2000mah 2 cell packs in parallel, and get just over 28mph top speed (gps verified) I only have heat issues when I run in a small area, so do a lot of acceleration and braking, otherwise have not had a problem.
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    I run big joe II's, they are awesome. In addition to a metal gear servo, you will want an aluminum servo saver/steering bellcrank. I broke 3 in short order after i got my big joes, then upgraded it to alloy and have had no issues since....
    I run 16/50 gearing, a pair of 2000mah 2 cell packs in parallel, and get just over 28mph top speed (gps verified) I only have heat issues when I run in a small area, so do a lot of acceleration and braking, otherwise have not had a problem.
    Hi.

I ordered the servo saver parts but i have not break one yet with big joes.
    Maby because my servo strip before something else happen?
    Have still not get a metal servo but i will soon when the local hobby ahop get them in stock.
    Im very impressed how this little machine holding up.
    If this was a 1/10 on 3s i had replaced multiple drive shafts already
    Last edited by Ray87; 08-04-2017 at 11:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about running a shorter gear,considering how much taller the big joe ll's are. My LHS owner said the stock 28/50 gearing,would be fine,which i thought was odd. I'll definitely gear it down,when i get a set of them. I just wish i had a decent hobby shop near me. I have 2 nearby,and they both seem to ignore their customers. I don't know how they stay in business.

RC Racer
    Don't worry about 2s. It will take it like nothing...problem is people using it on jumps with throttle on or on 3s doing the same thing... not even a 1/8 racing buggy will survive that....

Most Traxxas users don't know squat about RC and think they can do anything and everything into them... do that the same to a 1:1.....

A must have is really an upgrade from stock servo and not forgetting swar bars... No more need to go flip back on the 4 tires (belly up) anymore! :P

I think rather strange "traxxas" still today haven't released an upgrade from themselves of swaybars...you need to go aftermakert! Maybe they want to sell more body's!
    Which is a good thing... nice and pretty faces are always welcome! :P
    Last edited by targeting; 08-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.

RC Champion
    28/50 might be ok just running back and forth on asphalt, but for off road or any real bashing, no way, it would overheat quick...
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    I rarely drive it on asphalt. 99% offroad/bashing. I have a 23t pinion i might try. If that's not enough,ill lower it even more.

RC Qualifier
    That is not enough. I used 19t to get the same speed as a stock truck on 2s lipo.
    Then it also heat up quicker so i checked temp often when driving offroad.
    In hot summer weather on gravel it took 5 minutes before it needed a break with a lot of trottle on gravel.
    But if it not sun and hot outside it run mutch longer before it getting hot.
    I take a break more often vs pushing it close on the overheat side...

If i wanted to run bigjoe on 2s i had mounted a 18t and tested it. If not try a 17.
    16t will run great since it is stock summit gear, but it do run a bit slow for me on 2s.
    Really depend on your driving style, grass and breaking up heat up things fast.
    Get yourself a temp gun. Test out different gears and check the temp every 2 minutes the first runs
    Last edited by Ray87; 08-05-2017 at 11:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael RC View Post
    Hi guys I'm looking at getting a Mini E Revo again. My first one was brushed but I'm looking at brushless. I will be running a Traxxas 2s lipo and the only other upgrade is a savox servo. Will I be able to do nice smooth wheelies without shredding diffs? I want to go easy on it, thanks Michael
    You need the hot racing diff. Unfortunately they appear to be discontinued and hard to find. I put one in the rear years ago after having my son strip the diff every 2 runs or so and have not stripped the diff since.