stripped out micro servo already

we were just bashing around my 7 year old was playing with he lockers while on the go with a 3s battery in there and the rear locker servo started going crazy. replacing it was a bit of a pain in the butt. they really bury that wire behind all the other wires. But hey buy it break it fix it right? the hardest part was getting the servo lined up with the locker so it operates the way it should.

I know one guy here had a problem with the high low range micro servo. I wish Traxxas used metal gears in the micros as well. I heard the plastic gears grinding away when the servo went bad. there was little warning.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

I think most of it is the endpoints and/or servo savers. My transmission shifter was pushing way too far for low, and was constantly at a strain. I had to put a new one on (because of course it gave out), and moved the saver over a tooth or two. Haven't had any issues yet with that.

I do however have intermittent issues with the rear locker, but it's either the transmitter or receiver, as when it goes out no servo works in that channel. It's bizarre.

Glad you got it working again!
    Get it? Got it? Good.
    Nitro Is Hazardous To Your Health.
    4x4 Jeep-Pede:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165913

yeah it seems like I have the servo in the right spot. I wanted to make a how to video but I was unsure it was even going to work in the position I installed the cable. but it seems to work as it should . I guess I lucked out. lol

RC Qualifier
    The new replacement I just installed last night started clicking constantly today in high gear

I made sure there was as little tension on the servo horn as possible for the servo throw, but what it really needs is adjustable end points so there's no constant tension at all

What's a decent metal gear/waterproof replacement?

RC Champion
    I used the Savox 1230 sg for the steering servo, replace the horn with an aluminum one. Axial and some other brands make some good ones. I bought the Traxxas link, installed it and it makes setting the end points on the servo a breeze. You can also set the endpoints with the menu tree on the transmitter. The thing I don't understand is the micro servos are the same ones on the Summits. I have had 3 summits for 5 years and never had a problem with the micro servo's, and have heard or very very few going out. I'm wondering if at the factory they are not installing the spring horns improperly and when shifted they are not at the end points causing them to burn out.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I used the Savox 1230 sg for the steering servo, replace the horn with an aluminum one. Axial and some other brands make some good ones. I bought the Traxxas link, installed it and it makes setting the end points on the servo a breeze. You can also set the endpoints with the menu tree on the transmitter.
    Will the Link adjust end points for the switchable channels (lockers/tranny) or is it limited to just the steering?

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    Will the Link adjust end points for the switchable channels (lockers/tranny) or is it limited to just the steering?
    No, endpoints are only manually adjustable with the linkage.

RC Champion
    Unfortunately it will only do the Steering Servo.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

I spoke to soon. the new 2065 I just bought is dead. No movement. I switched it to the front locker servo location. I called Traxxas there sending a new servo. Im really disappointed at this time with the quality of these micro servos. The servo worked fine after I replaced it. But today it dead no noise no clicking nothing.

Traxxas Employee
    The new replacement I just installed last night started clicking constantly today in high gear

I made sure there was as little tension on the servo horn as possible for the servo throw, but what it really needs is adjustable end points so there's no constant tension at all

What's a decent metal gear/waterproof replacement?
    Be careful with this. The stock servo horns are spring loaded for a reason. It is unlikely that you would ever get a servo perfectly aligned so that there was no buzzing. They eventually burn out without the spring's tension. Mounting the stock horn to an aftermarket micro servo is tricky.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 08-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.

stinks waiting for a part in the mail. I hope the 2nd replacement does not fail again! this is frustrating

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    stinks waiting for a part in the mail. I hope the 2nd replacement does not fail again! this is frustrating
    Yeah, Traxxas is sending me a new gearset, but in the meantime, I just pulled the good gears out of my original servo that was smoked and installed it on the botched replacement servo.

Working fine now, but I still don't like the constant spring tension of the servo saver when in high gear.

From now on, I'll only be in high gear when actually using it, otherwise, I'm staying in low

RC Competitor
    All this tension on the 3 servos is fixed by tinkering with the spring and servo horn, for it to have some slack and, adjusting the links to get the servo travel to the same "light" tension on both extremities. I did this to all my 3 micro servos. The ESC now runs a lot cooler and the servos never get hot. The problem is the servos have to much travel and they bind even if you set the links correctly. The only way is to add some slop at the servo horn. (cutting the notch were the silver spring sits in) and leaving the servo screw a bit loose so the silver spring moves freely.

nice thanks traxxas. they sent me not just one replacement 2065 servo but 2.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
    All this tension on the 3 servos is fixed by tinkering with the spring and servo horn, for it to have some slack and, adjusting the links to get the servo travel to the same "light" tension on both extremities. I did this to all my 3 micro servos. The ESC now runs a lot cooler and the servos never get hot. The problem is the servos have to much travel and they bind even if you set the links correctly. The only way is to add some slop at the servo horn. (cutting the notch were the silver spring sits in) and leaving the servo screw a bit loose so the silver spring moves freely.
    Could you show us how to do it in a video?

RC Qualifier
    I ended up changing my shift servo to a larger servo. The steering servo from my MERV, which I forget the part number. It took some trimming but I no longer worry about burning that servo up at least and man does it shift easy now!!

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I ended up changing my shift servo to a larger servo. The steering servo from my MERV, which I forget the part number. It took some trimming but I no longer worry about burning that servo up at least and man does it shift easy now!!
    Do you have pictures? That would be great.

what other micro servo will fit? links please

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
    Any chance you have a video or pics of the "light tension" setup process? Im looking to drop in these cheap MG servos, RioRand ES08MA 9g Mini Metal Gear Servo Upgrade mg90s for trex align 450 rc helicopter E (4 Pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8T4SEA..._d4zzBb79B7324
    but betting ill still have issues until i get this tension thing figured out.