Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Xmaxx top speed runs, post yours!!!!

Okay my bone stock 8S xmaxx hit 41mph on the traxxas GPS. It gets to 39-40 real easy, but takes a longer run to reach 41. I run the traxxas 6750 25C lipo batteries. I plan on changing the gearing to the taller gear soon to see the difference.

RC Racer
    My stock 8s X-Maxx did GPS measured 57mph with 6700 4s LiPo's and 22/46 gearing.

Mine V1 is Leopard/Castle 6s with 54/29 gearing, and so far my best speed (in the dirt) is 56 miles per hour.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Wow...tall gears 2.09-1.86 vs stock at 3.0...... 56-57 is FAST.... so of course I'm gonna have to try it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaXX209 View Post
    Wow...tall gears 2.09-1.86 vs stock at 3.0...... 56-57 is FAST.... so of course I'm gonna have to try it
    I see you have a Need For Speed! Wait till you experience 20 plus lbs. racing pass you at that speed! But also be careful.

RC Competitor
    Bummer I ripped a tire.......was gonna install the taller gear today and put artic silver to help keep engine cool

RC Racer
    60T pinion, 55T spur, 35t/10t ring and pinion. TP power 6 pole 1550Kv motor, Pro-Box 420AMP ESC with lots of extra CAP PACKS, two 6S batteries equaling 12S, 8.5" Mad Maxx tires. Best run ever was 121MPH. Can hit high 90's without issues. Above 100MPH the issues yet to solve are the tires holding together and the center aluminum drive shaft likes to split at the ends and or it bends in the middle. Part of this is the 55T spur it will hit the drive shaft when the chassis flexes. Guessing that's why traxxas only makes a 54T. Got a stock chassis and bulkheads, use to run a 1/5 scale servo which required cutting up the tub but since the new black servo from traxxas came out I've had no steering issues.
    de oppresso liber

RC Racer
    ODA7224, 121 mph is unreal!!! I'd like to see that beast run. Are you on You Tube?

RC Qualifier
    Video or it never happened !!! ........................

Al.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    60T pinion, 55T spur, 35t/10t ring and pinion. TP power 6 pole 1550Kv motor, Pro-Box 420AMP ESC with lots of extra CAP PACKS, two 6S batteries equaling 12S, 8.5" Mad Maxx tires. Best run ever was 121MPH. Can hit high 90's without issues. Above 100MPH the issues yet to solve are the tires holding together and the center aluminum drive shaft likes to split at the ends and or it bends in the middle. Part of this is the 55T spur it will hit the drive shaft when the chassis flexes. Guessing that's why traxxas only makes a 54T. Got a stock chassis and bulkheads, use to run a 1/5 scale servo which required cutting up the tub but since the new black servo from traxxas came out I've had no steering issues.
    Get the aluminum chassis fast lane rcs sells...the type of power your putting down requires that...tp engines are for real

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Video or it never happened !!! ........................

Al.
    Indeed.

Really can't understand why you would want it that fast in the first place!?

It's a monster truck after all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    121mph lol that's the funniest thing I've seen today. 121kph maybe, but you did not hit 121mph lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is hard to believe those tires would hold up to those speeds. Ive had jaco foams and belted grps come apart on me and their speed run wheels & tires.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightning2 View Post
    I've seen 100mph on you tube. So who knows. But vids help for sure haha.
    This guy is not doing 121mph with off-road tires. Fastest xmaxx is udluuz which got to 98mph. Unless a new vid has showed up he never broke the 100mph mark.

RC Competitor
    To say you did it ofcourse lol
    But it's all a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post
    But it's all a lie!
    We get people like this all the time on our group on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    This guy is not doing 121mph with off-road tires. Fastest xmaxx is udluuz which got to 98mph. Unless a new vid has showed up he never broke the 100mph mark.

What was the setup to achieve 98?

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    What was the setup to achieve 98?

Not exactly sure.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 06redssr View Post
    ODA7224, 121 mph is unreal!!! I'd like to see that beast run. Are you on You Tube?
    By December I'll be able to make one. We tried several times but the problem is I'm deployed on a US Military base in a warzone. Even though the videos are with the go pro on the truck bed facing the back window where the GPS is mounted the issue is you can still see buildings in the background on the base which is a security issue. I return home in December for 30 days. I'll be able to make a video and do it then.

I'm not bragging, I'm just sharing information of what I was able to achieve. Any of you can build one to do it and I'm very willing to share how it was accomplished. There was a lot of trial and error . There's a number of ways to do it I just wanted to keep the chassis and driveline stock. WHen you start using other chassis's it's no longer a XMAXX. It comes down to gearing, motor, ESC and batteries which need lots of cooling, but the most important of all is the tires. Finding the rite tire is key. You need something that holds together but is tall. The taller tire has a higher top speed at the same RPM vs a smaller tire.

I'm certain if others try they will discover things that can be improved on from what I built.
    de oppresso liber

RC Racer
    ODA7224, thanks for getting back to us and Thank You for your service to this great nation. I'd love to know how much $$$ you have invested in your X-Maxx to be able to run at those insane speeds.

RC Competitor
    I've found the proline badlands mx43 are very strong. Minimal balloon and excellent steering at high speed....the v2 8S tires would balloon and become difficult to steer....the prolines do not do that. I hit identical top speed of 41mph with both tires...I'd guess the v2 tires accelerate faster due to lighter weight, but loss of control is not worth it

RC poster
    We go faster here in the UK.

RC Racer
    tingtong333, I assume you mean 122 MPH. I have found the Traxxas telemetry speed reading is incorrect and on the high side. Did you verify using a GPS device or speed gun? Do you have a video?

With Trx dashboard app, unless you have the Trx gps unit those calculated speeds are not correct! I have it on one of my stampedes and tested it against gps unit. The faster you go the more its off.

RC poster

Cool False Speed

[QUOTE=tingtong333;6405003]We go faster here in the UK.

Only having a joke with you guys, the GPS does have a mind of its own sometimes!. The fastest speed so far is only 45mph on 18/46 gearing on 8s but that is plenty fast for such a big truck.

RC Competitor
    What's funny is based off my math at 41mph on stock 18/54 I calculate the 18/46 will go about 47...not the 50 advertised. The guys above that hit 56-57 at 1.9-2.0 gear ratio also makes sense.

41mph at 3.0 gear ratio. Change to 2.54 is a increase of 15.3%. 41mph x 15.3% = 47mph. The 29/54 is 1.86 or 38% taller which equates to 56.5mph....

RC Racer
    I finally stopped being lazy and can post some results lol. XMAXX 8s, stock system.

Gens Ace 4s 5000mah batteries

20/46- 54mph (hotter temp gearing)
    22/46- 57mph (cooler temp gearing)

I actually thought I would get more than 3mph out of it between the gearing. But to be fair the V2 tires are just pizza cutters on 22/46 and it just tries to wander on pavement haha.
    Bluelightning2, as I posted above 57mph is the same GPS measured speed I got with my stock 8s and 22/46 gears. I found the tires wander if the TSM is turned up too high. Try reducing the level and see what happens.

RC Enthusiast
    59mph with 22/50 gearing - Traxxas 6700 4s batteries, Max Max tires and Max 6 ESC. The tires give a couple mph over stock tires due to their height and the Max 6 gave an extra 2mph on the top end.
    Last edited by xmaxxsol; 09-29-2017 at 07:48 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't see how you get that fast with that gearing. The mad max tires are taller yes but the stock 8s tires probably end up being bigger than mad max tires with ballooning.
    Nope, my top speed has been a consistent 2mph higher with the mad max tires no matter what gearing I'm running and I've run all of the following so far:
    18/54
    18/46
    19/46
    22/50

The mad max tires are significantly taller than the stock 8s and balloon some as well (though not nearly as much as the 8s tires).

Edit: I kinda see your point and it actually reminded me that I haven't run the stock tires yet on my current 22/50 gearing. So it may be even faster than 59mph with those since they'll be spinning faster (and ballooning more) than ever. But the numbers are what they are as it sits.
    Last edited by xmaxxsol; 09-29-2017 at 11:02 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Running V2

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by xmaxxsol View Post
    Nope, my top speed has been a consistent 2mph higher with the mad max tires no matter what gearing I'm running and I've run all of the following so far:
    18/54
    18/46
    19/46
    22/50

The mad max tires are significantly taller than the stock 8s and balloon some as well (though not nearly as much as the 8s tires).

Edit: I kinda see your point and it actually reminded me that I haven't run the stock tires yet on my current 22/50 gearing. So it may be even faster than 59mph with those since they'll be spinning faster (and ballooning more) than ever. But the numbers are what they are as it sits.
    22/50 is the gearing I run with my 8S, although I run the proline wheels.

Do you know the weight on them madmax?
    Last edited by scoobied77; 09-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post
    22/50 is the gearing I run with my 8S, although I run the proline wheels.

Do you know the weight on them madmax?
    not sure, they're pretty heavy, about the same as the prolines. A buddy of mine has the prolines, but he actually lost top speed with them because they don't balloon like the stock 8s.

RC Racer
    i got mine to 60mph on a gravel road. though i rarely hit that speed when i play. so far i havent crashed the xmaxx into me lol. my brother had one of the first jato's when they came out and it crashed into my shins at full speed. i'd hate to know what a 30lbs rc truck would do.

RC Qualifier
    I reckon the answer's quite simple - queue the ambulance and a plaster cast!!

That's the thing, we all love the idea of controlling ever-increasing size and power, but there is a responsibility to ourselves and other members of the public to act in a manner which doesn't harm others.

Easier said sometimes!!

Al.

RC Racer
    yea. especially with those 6s xmaxx tires with water in them. blow outs and out of control xmaxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    How much did that 121 mph cost you?
    You can't fix stupid.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaXX209 View Post
    Okay my bone stock 8S xmaxx hit 41mph on the traxxas GPS. It gets to 39-40 real easy, but takes a longer run to reach 41. I run the traxxas 6750 25C lipo batteries. I plan on changing the gearing to the taller gear soon to see the difference.
    If you increase the "C" rating your speed will increase.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by docowens View Post
    How much did that 121 mph cost you?
    He didn't hit no 121mph with his xmaxx.

RC Competitor
    The closer in size the pinion gear is to the is to the spur the faster you go. All other things being equal. The higher the "C" rating the faster you will get to top speed. The higher the mAh the longer you can run at top speed.
    You can't fix stupid.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to resurect an old thread but it has some legit entries less the guy claiming 12x mph.

My best is 71.5mph with the following setup
    MadMax 1/5 tires (they are close to exploding at this speed) (no way they could do 100+)
    Leopard 5882 1/5 scale motor
    29T/50T gearing
    MAX 5 esc on 8s

I have video of 69mph run where I didnt get fully up to speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQELaKk3UE

If you pause the video near 1:54 you can see the tires are expanded pretty bad. I lost steering ability which lead to going off the road. (zero damage)

-Liberty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast