RC Qualifier

Traxxas Lipos Puff Up No Matter How Good I take care

I've been doing RC for years. I take care of the traxxas batteries perfectly yet every one I buy swells up. Has anyone had better luck with a different brand. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by garywi View Post
    I've been doing RC for years. I take care of the traxxas batteries perfectly yet every one I buy swells up. Has anyone had better luck with a different brand. Thanks.
    LiPo batteries are fairly new to RC's and require completely different
    care and maintenance then older batteries. I've used Traxxas LiPo's
    since they become available and have never had a puffed one. I would
    have to say your doing something wrong to puff all your batteries, here's
    a quick read for do's and don'ts with LiPo's.
    Click here>lipo_batteries

RC Racer
    Nice read, thanks Rich2. some good pointers: LiPo batteries should be stored at 50% capacity; The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus chargers (part #2970, or #2972) make it easy to store LiPo battery packs properly; just select the Storage mode, and it will charge or discharge the pack to the proper storage voltage. I'm guessing charge close to using time.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by garywi View Post
    I'm having a similar experience with the Traxxas Lipo's. I bought 4 3s 5000's when I preordered my XMAXX, then I'd say within a few uses the packs appeared swollen and were hard.

I can't tell if its the cells swelling or gas trapped in the pack - if left in storage mode a long time the gas seems to dissipate. The packs have probably only been charged about a dozen times and with the EZ Peak Dual charger and I'm insanely careful with them never allowing the voltage to dip below 3.8 or so.

I thought I had read in the XMAXX forum about someone wondering if the original ESC caused damage to their packs. Given that was the only vehicle I had at the time and I believe they were charged and stored properly I think this could be the issue.

I had contacted Traxxas in the warranty period about the swelling and was told to keep using them unless the swelling worsened so I think I'm out of luck. Now 1 of the 4 won't charge properly as it seems the cells get out of sync and the third cell's resistance measures around 236 vs low levels for the other two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    I'm having a similar experience with the Traxxas Lipo's. I bought 4 3s 5000's when I preordered my XMAXX, then I'd say within a few uses the packs appeared swollen and were hard.

I can't tell if its the cells swelling or gas trapped in the pack - if left in storage mode a long time the gas seems to dissipate. The packs have probably only been charged about a dozen times and with the EZ Peak Dual charger and I'm insanely careful with them never allowing the voltage to dip below 3.8 or so.

I thought I had read in the XMAXX forum about someone wondering if the original ESC caused damage to their packs. Given that was the only vehicle I had at the time and I believe they were charged and stored properly I think this could be the issue.

I had contacted Traxxas in the warranty period about the swelling and was told to keep using them unless the swelling worsened so I think I'm out of luck. Now 1 of the 4 won't charge properly as it seems the cells get out of sync and the third cell's resistance measures around 236 vs low levels for the other two.

Send them another email and see what they say. I just had mine exchanged (5000mah 25C 3s) that came with my x-maxx. They are not safe to keep using once they get swollen. IF they swelled like mine, I would not even bring them in the house.

Those Lipo are so poorly rate for the x-maxx.

Get the exchanged and sell them!

the whole RMA process was quick

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by welfareboy View Post
    Send them another email and see what they say. I just had mine exchanged (5000mah 25C 3s) that came with my x-maxx. They are not safe to keep using once they get swollen. IF they swelled like mine, I would not even bring them in the house.

Those Lipo are so poorly rate for the x-maxx.

Get the exchanged and sell them!

the whole RMA process was quick
    Thanks maybe I'll check into that. Another interesting note is that I recently bought the Spartan and when I did that I bought four new 3s 5000 batteries. I had only used them in the boat until tonight when I tried them in the XMAXX.

With those new batteries the XMAXX V1 is significantly faster and will actually wheelie which it would never do with the original traxxas batteries. Really makes me wonder if something was wrong with those cells from the beginning now.

RC poster
    I have an Xmaxx 6S and (4) Traxxas tra2872x 3S lipo batteries and I know it's the VXL6S esc that's causing the swelling and puffing. To make a long story short I did the warranty thing, I have the traxxas id charger they recommended, I take care of them just as instructed. My buddy has an Xmaxx 6S and upgraded the esc to the hobbywing ezrun 6 and has not had any problems at all.

RC Competitor
    Sorry but a 25C battery connected to an XMAXX is just not okay in my books.

At minimum I run 50C.. no puffing

RC Racer
    Let's not sugarcoat this,the traxxas lipos arent reliable enough to run in their own vehicles. Stored at voltage, put back in a nice cozy dark cool room and then praying to the gods they won't swell won't help you. I've got many many batts from smc to gens ace and the whole traxxas lipo range and a few of their chargers.

I already have access to great batts but I figure ah well I'm enjoying this vehicle so much why don't I just support their batts also and keep it in the family. Also the convenience of the connectors and built in balance port. X-maxx slightly geared up with the 5000s just fuggetabout. M41 which I also have, well puffity puff puff.

For the first time I'm considering selling off my traxxas chargers and revamping my connectors in all my traxxas vehicles and keeping the trx-4 which is the only rig that doesn't munch on them. Traxxas has the money,they have the reputation, its time they release higher rated batts to support their growing fleet of higher demanding power hungry rigs. Rant over.
    Last edited by Dionisi; 09-06-2017 at 07:00 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RcManChild View Post
    Sorry but a 25C battery connected to an XMAXX is just not okay in my books.

At minimum I run 50C.. no puffing
    I am running the 25C 5000mah 3s on the x-maxx. I think it takes more time to reach the max speed (max recorded for now 17mph - on less than 80 yards -) , but they have a good punch.

RC Qualifier
    Lipos have caused me to take a hiatus from Traxxas/RC. I've been in this hobby for almost 20 years so I do know a thing or two about maintenance. I'm an RC builder as well, not just RTR. Lipos are unstable and luck seems to be the overwhelming factor as to whether they puff or not. I've had identical batteries maintained the exact same way, one puffs, one doesn't. Hopefully something a little more dependable will come along soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Your charger could be overcharging the lipos. I had an issue with a cheap china charger a few years back. It was reading cell 2 @ 4.2v/cell but the cell was actually being charged to 4.33v. I loet 5 packs over that issue. Here is how you check... Fully charge a pack, then test the individual cells with a quality multimeter. If you dont have one, take the charged battery to an electronics repair store and have them test the individual cells voltage. If any cell is over 4.20v, then the charger is bad. Since all of your packs are puffing, and your not leaving them fully charged for more than a day,(only way ive ever puffed a pack) it leads me to believe there may be a charger problem involved...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    I have stamped vxl 4x4 stock. 2 Traxxas 3s lipos, charged only with traxxas dual charger and they got puffed. Itís a shame that Traxxas canít solve that issue. I bought a non Traxxas charger and battery and no issues till now. I bought a much higher rating battery since I have the feeling it is related to the current pulled by the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Did you check the actual voltage of th3 cells after a charge?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    I have had the same issue with a few of my Traxxas Packs I used the Newest Traxxas Dual Charger and always put batteries in storage mode if I let sit for more than a few days. Never left in storage more more than a month. Batteries still slightly swelled after 20 charges or so. I now use the Hitec X2 High Power (Hitec's newest charger) and same situation. I have my Hitec set to charge at 1C, 7.4V at 100W in balance mode Everytime (5.2v when using the Traxxas 5200 mAh 2S LiPo).

I have now switched over to SMC True Spec Premium 7400 mAh 149 Amp/90C 2S Hard Case Wired LiPos and have not a single issue with over 50+ charges on them. I have my LVD set at 3.8v per cell.

I have no idea what causes the puffing in the Tracks batteries, and it kinda sucks when you pay $60+ for a LiPo and it does this when you take perfect care of it.
    Last edited by BadAssRC; 01-27-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV