How do you like the 2 speed trans in your TRX-4?

You guys content with the performance and durability ot the 2 speed? Also, what is the gear spread or your top mph in each range running what battery? Thanks for any input I can get in advance.

No takers, how about this instead: Does anyone run a powerful brushless motor on 3s, using both speeds and drive their truck hard (not worried about breaking stuff)? Any transmission failures from the extra horsepower or is it pretty bulletproof? Can you shift while driving on the fly?

RC Enthusiast
    I only have the stock brushed motor in my TRX4 and I use 3S battery. I have not had any issue with the trans yet. You can shift on the fly but it's better to do so after you slow down at bit. Don't be full throttle when you shift gears. As far as MPH, I'm not sure of the numbers but it's not going to be as fast as a Rustler or anything like that but I was surprised at how fast it did go in high gear. This truck is not necessarily designed to go fast like a rock racer, rather it "crawls".

RC Qualifier
    Patience my friend, some of us have to work before playing on the forums here, lol. Wish I could say personally, I'm still waiting on my lol to get mine. From What I've been told from a few of the lbs guys that have one they say they transmission is been really good and solid. Just remember the trx-4 was not designed as a speed truck l, it's a scale truck.

Thanks for the responses, I'm just wondering about the trans only, to use in a scratch build Bomber I am building. I need something that will take abuse, particularly in high gear, on the gas while jumping going 30 mph. Worse case scenario I'll run a Summit box. I just like the size of the TRX -4 piece. Anyone else driven their lhs demo like you stole it and have feedback?

I love the 2 speed transmission.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC poster
    I am sure it would hold up quite well in a bomber. It's pretty beef, especially compared to the stock trans in the bomber.
    Traxxas TRX-4
    Traxxas Slayer Pro

RC Qualifier
    I really like the 2 Speed in my TRX-4 I found coming to a complete stop to switch gears is best ( for the simple fact too you have no gears spinning in trans ) I also love the front & rear Lockers I have only been running with both lockers IN when crawling over rocks & branches & stuff. As far as speed goes my TRX-4 seems to be pretty quick at full throttle through grass & pavement I don't know what a top speed for a 21-T brushed motor is but it seems to move the TRX-4 around pretty good I am happy with it. I have no plans on replacing the motor or any of that stuff but I do want to add a WINCH

So in lo gear you can go everywhere you want and have enough top speed to do so?

RC Racer
    It goes something like:

6-7 MPH in low on 3s

11-12 MPH in high on 3s

On low on 3s the TRX-4 is faster than my RS-10XT at full throttle on 2s.

Traxxas Employee
    I absolutely love the 2-speed transmission. Sometimes you need a lot of wheel spin to get up a loose dirt hill and a single low speed gear won't cut it. There have been many hills where I was stuck in low gear, but high gear was able to muscle me up and over. I also like being able to get to the next obstacle quickly. With the 9-T pinion, I have torque for days in low, but also good speed in high gear.

I am not kind to my transmission. I don't switch gears at full throttle, but I regularly switch at about half throttle and I haven't had a problem yet. I'm also pushing way more power than stock. I think one guy had a weird failure, but other than that one fluke, it's a bulletproof transmission.

I've got a 2400 Kv CC 550 can with Mamba Max speedy I'm going to run. Sadly, my motor is not sensored. I figured on gearing lo to hit about 12 mph pinned, hoping high would get me close to 30 mph. Is this reality or do I need to be looking at a different gear box????

RC Racer
    I've got a Traxxas (Electric Conversion) T-maxx with Revo Spec drivetrain (drive shafts, and axle shafts) (but with Summit 2speed Tranny and Brushless Emaxx diffs).

I don't feel like the T-maxx in low range is as quick as my TRX-4 in high range (on 3s).

I am pretty sure it is slower.

The 2 speed tranny on the T-maxx, in low range may be able to do 12 MPH, possibly, and it's running 4s Brushless with 1/8 2000kv motor, but I know it doesn't feel like it. Feels more like 8 MPH, maybe.

So, I don't know if you will be able to get 12 MPH out of the TRX-4 in low range, even with the high RPM's of the Brushless motor.

Can someone else chime in who's gone brushless in the TRX-4?

Why can't I gear it for 12 mph or even 15? I just want upper 20's or 30 ish pinned in high. What are the ratios in this thing, anyhow???

RC Enthusiast
    Wondering why you would want the TRX-4 to go that fast? It's not designed to and it's top heavy. It'll be spending more time on it's side than on the tires. Plenty of other cars/trucks out there for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by corbettkg View Post
    Wondering why you would want the TRX-4 to go that fast? It's not designed to and it's top heavy. It'll be spending more time on it's side than on the tires. Plenty of other cars/trucks out there for speed.
    Its for a scratch build I'm doing, not mashing the TRX truck!!! Axial Yeti 2 speed is basically my only other option that will fit, at twice the price and not twice the performance. A "Bomber" with ifs/irs, Summit lockers and about 5" of wheel travel all the way around. Slash 4x c blocks and uprights up front. Looking to be able to crawl as well as blaze along so I can race trophy trucks desert style. Its the red headed step child for the forums here, belonging nowhere otherwise I'd do a build thread.

RC poster
    I did a little test - it may be useful.

Factory set / profile 4 / 2S LiPo

Test on the road:

low transmission
    5,0 km/h
    3,10 mi/h

high transmission
    11,84 km/h
    7,36 mi/h

Test on the lawn:

low transmission
    4,54 km/h
    2,82 mi/h

high transmission
    10,51 km/h
    6,53 mi/h

(I change the ratio only when the model is standing)

Thanks for that vid zotornik, twice the speed in hi vs lo. Can someone measure their trans and motor plate? Looking at overall width, length at the outputs and height. And if you've had it out of the truck, does it only mount on the frame rails or does it have misc bungs sticking off of it? I need it to mount to a flat plate, I can make mounts. Thanks again for any and all input.

RC poster
    I have the Mamba x system and this thing is a beast I like it so much building another one just gotta get a few more parts and it's done I have 5 crawlers and I gotta say I like the trx4 more then any of them

RC Racer
    I run a HW AXE 550 2700KV on my TRX6, it makes it a very good crawler with excellent low speed control and torque on low gear, and an amazing basher running on high gear. I only run 3s (all of my batteries were originally for my slash VXL), and I think I get 25 mph on high gear 11T pinion.
    I got a broken TRX6 with a severly bent chassis in september, they let me keep it. I bought new rails a month ago and I finished installation a week ago. I've been using that thing as my test vehicle/main crawler basher, running it on stock brushed motor. Ill tell you this: never switch between gears during motion, it makes this terrible crackling noise and probably seriously damages the transmission, also causes the car to suddenly jolt backwards.
    I am a little bit skeptical about always full throttling on my brushless TRX6, it's got a lot of moving axels and joints, and I doubt its any good for the car, but I still occasionally (occasionaly as in about once every time I run it :/ ) It holds up pretty well though, no problems yet, and hopefully no problems later on in the future.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    I've got a 2400 Kv CC 550 can with Mamba Max speedy I'm going to run. Sadly, my motor is not sensored. I figured on gearing lo to hit about 12 mph pinned, hoping high would get me close to 30 mph. Is this reality or do I need to be looking at a different gear box????
    What pinion are you running? Try a 13T pinion gear, might do the trick.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    I put in a 12t pinion and i shift high and low range constantly. On 3s im still itching for a little bit more top speed, but its the fast pinion recommended for the stock spur.