Thread: Slipper issue

RC poster

Slipper issue

reinvigorating this post, and been away from the hobby for a reason listed above. on a pro-match 3s 6500mah 11.1v lipo, I was burning out slipper pads at an alarming rate, no matter the gearing setup. Looking into this slipper clutch eliminator option and looking for any advice or recommendation on brand, etc. My setup is a speed/basher hopped up stampede 2wd VXL. Appreciate it RC community, old and new alike!

RC Qualifier
    Did you try to tighten your clutch? The stock setting is fine on 2s, but it needs to be tightend to handel 3s properly.

I will never suggest a slipper clutch eliminator as a reasonable solution. There is another problem somewhere that needs to be figured out first. I would suggest trying a center diff as an option to troubleshoot the issue.

RC poster
    the clutch was tightened down besides the least amount of loosening just in case. I thought that would lend to burning the pads out quicker

happy for the feedback before buying. Is this center differential a change from the current metal gear differential that I installed? thanks again
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-05-2020 at 02:18 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by zfunk112 View Post
    happy for the feedback before buying. Is this center differential a change from the current metal gear differential that I installed? thanks again
    The center differential only works for the 4x4 version. The 2wd can only have the slipper or slipper eliminator. What the center diff does is to transfer power to whichever axle that has less resistance (2wd only has the rear, so it won't do anything, and it won't fit). For the slipper, have you taken it apart, and taken a look at the pads? If it looks shiny, it's glazed over, so take a bit of fine sandpaper to sand the glazing away, and it should slip less.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    I would suuggest get one of these out of the rustler 4x4 vxl. Larger clutch plates and metal pads always help and resist heat better.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/rus...as-vxl-67076-4

Quote Originally Posted by zfunk112 View Post
    Sorry completely missed you are talking about a 2wd in the 4x4 section.

Traxxas Marshal
    I moved these posts to the correct sub-forum to eliminate the confusion.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    The solution might be in your left index finger...
    Spinning your clutch when tight does more damage than when it’s too loose.
    So if you’re hammering the throttle and spinning that clutch repeatedly, you do damage.
    If it’s just minor heat glazing, you can rub the pads on some sandpaper to renew the surface.
    Once heavily glazed, they slip more and you crank it tighter and tighter to get it to hold.
    Overheating the clutch pads will make them brittle and wear out faster, even break.
    Lastly, is there any oil/grease getting onto the clutch pads?
    It doesn’t take much... Clean all parts with alcohol before assembling.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 12-05-2020 at 10:14 AM.