RC poster

Upgraded Deegan Rally to rear diff w/ aluminum drive shaft and there is play

I recently upgrade my Deegan Rally to Velineon and then immediately fried the stock backend. I ended up upgrading to Traxxas rear differential, I also upgraded the drive shaft to a Traxxas aluminum drive shaft. There is a bit of play in the drive shaft in the sense that it can slide back and forth about 1/4-3/8". Is this normal or did I mess something up?

A side question is should I have changed out the bearing from the factory bearing when upgrading to the rear diff?

RC Qualifier
    Hi, and welcome!

I'm not sure what you mean by "fried the stock backend" and "upgrading to Traxxas rear differential". The Deegan Rally has got the same front and rear diffs as the Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4 VXL and Telluride 4x4. But maybe you mean upgrading to the XO-1 diffs (Traxxas #6882X, 3978 and 3236).

Or maybe you are talking about the slipper clutch? When upgrading to the Velineon system you must upgrade the slipper to the Slash/Stampede 4x4 slipper clutch #6878. The stock slipper on the Deegan Rally won't hold up to Velineon power. Since the Slash 4x4 slipper clutch #6878 has a 54T 32p spur gear you'll have to get a new 13T 32p pinion (Traxxas #3943). It is also highly recommended to get the aluminium slipper clutch adapter #6893X (the plastic one will eventually melt).

The play in the center drive shaft is normal. If it bothers you, put an o-ring onto the splined outdrives front and/or rear. This will keep it from making noise (but do not remove all of the slop - this will cause the shaft to bend in a front crash).

If the bearings are smooth and not gritty, you should be OK.

RC poster
    You are correct, I misspoke but was unable to edit my post. It was the center differential that I upgraded to from the stock slipper clutch. So far I like it, but I have noticed the motor gets much hotter because I am running a 15T pinion. Should I go with something smaller to make it easier on the motor?

Thanks for the info on the drive shaft, I just wanted to make sure the play was normal and not going to damage anything.

There is a lot of stuff I still need to learn about this things and haven't found a great place that breaks it all down, but I am sure it will come with time.

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry about it. We've all had to learn the terminology when we started out.

The Velineon system tends to run a bit hot. I don't know if you run a 7-cell NiMH or a 2S LiPo battery, but either way using a 15T pinion is a bit on the high side for general bashing (and if you run a 3S LiPo you definately need to gear down!). The stock pinion on the original 1/10th Rally is 13T (with a 54T spur gear).
    If you don't own one already, get a temp gun to keep an eye on the temps. Adapting the gear ratio should always be the first option. If you still need to, you can add a simple heat sink with a single fan to the motor, and maybe also Traxxas #3340 for the ESC.

I've seen people getting higher temps with the center diff than with a slipper clutch. If you use too high viscosity diff oil in the center diff, you may see higher temps. I don't use a center diff myself, so I can't give you first hand info on oil viscosities for it. I believe the stock viscosity for the Slash 4x4 Platinum/Ultimate's center diff is 100k.
    Last edited by Viking; 08-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.

RC poster
    I'm running a 2S LiPo. I will go pickup a 13T pinion to see if that helps and also pickup a temp gun to keep an eye on the temps. Thanks for all the help !

RC Qualifier
    You're more than welcome!

And remember, you can never have enough pinions...