RC poster

Noob needs advice

My motor locked up in my truck so im searching for a motor/esc combo. So first off i only have 2s batterys, and not really interested in getting anything higher for the time being. A guy told me to get a sensored motor when i was going to purchase one. So after shopping around i think iv found one in my price range (Under $200) which is the sidewinder 3 from castle. But in the combo they sell the esc isnt sensored but the motor is. (From what i understand) So they suggest the mamba x combo which is right at the top of my budget. But reading the description they recommend 3-4s batterys. The other thing i noticed is the shaft size is different for both motors, i dont know what size the stock motor has on it either. And the last thing im.confused about is which kv i should get. Iv read what kv is but dont truly understand it. Thank you in advance

Hey! Welcome aboard! Maybe start out by telling us a little about your rig as it sits. 3500kv? 2 pole or 4 pole? Tires/wheels? Gearing? Terrain? Bashing? Racing? With a little more info the knowledgeable, helpful folks here should be able to point you in the right direction to get your truck back up and running.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Yes, currently has 3500kv. The rig is a "platinum" slash which is all stock,not sure if its 2 or 4 pole. i race on a dirt track. Nothing competitive just local guys that need something to do

Ok. If the esc has 3 silver capacitors visible near the motor wires, it's a 4 pole(most likely) You can try pulling the motor apart it may just need bearings. If the esc is still ok you could just find another 3500kv Traxxas motor. If you are for sure staying 2s look for a combo with a kv near that 3500kv like you have. Going down in kv will require more voltage to achieve the same speeds,going up in kv will provide the speed but will likely get hot pushing your 4x4 around.If you're just bashing with buddies I don't think a sensored combo is necessary, nice, but not necessary. The 3500 has a 3mm shaft diameter,some other motors will have a 5mm shaft. You'll need pinion gears to fit the shaft. Castle, Hobbywing and many others make decent combos for our Slashs. If you find a couple combos you like, post them up here. Likely someone has experience with them and can help out.Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    I know you are already over your budget, but if you have no restrictions on motor size and are just bashing with friends spend the extra $30 on this
    https://www.amazon.com/Mamba-Monster...0+combo+castle

Will run much cooler, and will take just about any tire setup or terrain you want to throw at it. might have to move your rx, but there are plenty of forum posts and videos on how to do that. very easy.

A lot of the forum posts on here ask for help on deciding between the 2650 and 2200. If you are going to stick with 2S and not going for speed runs, the general consensus is the 2650. Premium product, premium price, but very well supported.
    And rubbin son is racin'.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlaine17 View Post
    This would work; but in my opinion, the motor is too small for the slash. Traxxas sells it as a 1/10 scale truck but in my opinion it's a 1/8th scale. It will run with that motor, but going to something such as this could be a better option:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...iABEgJFBPD_BwE

It's a little lower of a KV, but it'll still run pretty quick. If you want to go faster with it, up your battery to a 3s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

I have the 2650 set up in my truck, it sounds like you want to stay on budget and just have fun. If that's the case, go with the 3800 set up, I've never ran it so I can't say what it will do performance wise but big power equates to big upgrades in the drive line. Axles diffs center drive shaft wheel hexes shocks... The list goes on. I like the Traxxas 3500 vxl motor it's the ESC that sucks and the vxl system didn't stay in my 4x4 very long, it's gotten passed down to the third 2wd truck so far. It is much better suited for these lighter trucks. Another castle combo is the MMP 2400, a little low on the kv but you might be able to gear it for the speed you need, I have run this combo and was really happy with it. It also got passed down to my 2wd Slash. good luck and have fun!
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    For 2S this is a great system, and you will save a few bucks for further upgrades, aswell!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...010200/p607213

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    For 2S this is a great system, and you will save a few bucks for further upgrades, aswell!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...010200/p607213
    That's an excellent suggestion! Perfect kv for 2s, Waterproof/dustproof, programmable,affordable. I like the fact it comes with a esc mount plate just like my SC8 did....makes install a snap. Grab the $10 program card...makes tweaks to the esc a breeze.I seriously don't see the need for a $200+ sensored setup for a guy that just beats around on 2s with a bunch of buddies.

Edit: you may even find this combo a few bucks cheaper with a little shopping. Good luck!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Hobbywing has come a long way from when I first started. They were a lower grade from when I started, and didn't know they came this far... they seem to be a great brand but when I first got into the hobby I was told by a few people to stay away from them

Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    Hobbywing has come a long way from when I first started. They were a lower grade from when I started, and didn't know they came this far... they seem to be a great brand but when I first got into the hobby I was told by a few people to stay away from them

I remember hearing that as well but I took a chance a couple years ago with a WP SC8. It's been rock solid. I've run multiple motors on 3s and 4s without issue. No,it's not sensored,no it doesn't data log. I'm just a weekend basher and the reality is, I don't need those features. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I plugged the program card in. I got it set the way I like it so I just plug packs in and go.

If you ask motor/esc questions on other forums Hobbywing seems to be a favorite
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Ok, so after work today i watched a video on how to tear my current motor apart. So i did and found that the front bearing is shredded and missing. When i looked into the can i could see a bunch of shinny copper where the bearing had been inside the motor, so first thing is can i salvage this motor with a rebuild kit? Or what other issues should i look for besides the obvious? Thanks for all of your input so far

Can you post a pic or two? Sounds like windings in the can, it might be toast. Easier to tell with pics though.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Last edited by LittleBlaine17; 08-15-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Looks pretty well toasted. Might spray inside out with motor cleaner to get a better idea.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by flamnpede1 View Post
    Looks pretty well toasted. Might spray inside out with motor cleaner to get a better idea.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Or just go to a local auto parts store and use brake cleaner; just about the same thing.

Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast