Smile Which way to go with rustler offset. Advise please

Hi All
    I have just purchased an xl-5 rustler and want to run the front wheels on the front & rear and also be able to swap other wheels that i have from my jato and telluride and also run my stampede 4x4 wheels on it as well.

So my question is for those of you that have already done it do you prefer the rpm wide front arm conversion or the slash rear arm narrow conversion ?
    Which way would be the best way to go and why.
    Thanks for your input in advance.
    Can't get enough of my Rc's

RC Qualifier
    I have the RPM extended front arms. I like the kit, and with the extra leverage the arms create I think tuning the front suspension is easier.

RC Qualifier
    Wide arms handle rough terrain and landing from jumps better. The vehicle is also less likely to turn over. Everything is easier to break/bend, and the vehicle will be more likely to snap oversteer. If you're using factory springs, you'll likely see an overall improvement in handling. Handling will become a little more twitchy especially as speeds pick up.

Short arms handle better in smooth conditions and the vehicle should be less likely to snap oversteer (more stable at high speed, especially while braking). Rough terrain is more difficult for short arms. Technically they should be stronger then longer arms. If you're using factory springs, they will probably be too stiff for the shorter arms.

Personally, I would try long arms and run rear tires all around. That will give you a long travel suspension without making the vehicle overly wide.
    Last edited by jmauld; 08-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks for your replies
    I am running stock springs & shocks with 35w oil and run mostly of flatter terrain rather than the rough stuff with some high speed runs now & then
    So if i run the short slash rear arms and a thinner shock oil in rear that may be a good combination.
    I would prefer better handling on smooth surfaces with better braking rather than the rough surfaces handling.
    What do you suggest for rear springs to make it softer as to compensate for shorter arms.

RC Qualifier
    There should be some losi springs that will fit the ultra shocks. They will come in a variety of spring rates. Sorry, I donít know the part numbers. Also try 30 weight oil, if youíre not jumping a lot.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347
    Losi spring rate chart. If you use ultra shocks and or big bores, bookmark this page...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Thanks for the link
    I'm thinking of going the slash rear narrow mod instead of the rpm wide front mod at the moment.
    If anyone else has any input i would be more than happy to hear what you have to say.

I've been running the narrow mod for a couple years now both on and off track. It handles the best IMO but I run all fronts which helps
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Thanks Jerrysmax i am leaning towards doing that as well
    I'm confused as to why traxxas didn't make it like that in the first place.

Guess it depends on your desired outcome. I just left mine all stock and threw on some Badland SC knock-offs leftover from my Slash 4x4. It works fine for the bashing I do. Actually those cheapy knock-offs are pretty decent

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

It's actually real cheap to set up either way, they both use front offsets. The only thing neededd is a pair of front ectended arms and the Slash rear arms. Easily switched over, run both chose the one for you. That's why I love Traxxas .... Parts are inexpensive
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler