Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC poster

Can't get traction with Deegan Rally

I bought a deegan rally and upgraded to velineon VXL-3s and running 2S LiPo. I am running the center diff with 54T gear and 13T pinion gear. No matter what I do, I cannot get traction when turning. I installed traction bars and higher weight oil in the shocks. It makes it no fun to drive when all I do is spin out. Any recommendations on getting better traction?

RC poster

Smile

Softer compound tires. I purchased a set of JConcepts for mine. Sadly I don't have the model # or name. I, like you stiffened up the suspension but if it's too stiff, it will have a tendency to push the front. Stock shock oil but added spacers then installed sway bars and it handles great. Velineon upgrade, INTEGY drive axles, 3s 50c Lipo, cooling fans and the gearing is 19t pinion & 54t spur. It's freaky fast, especially compared to it's humble brushed beginnings.

Good Luck.😲

RC poster
    Are you having any heat problems running a 19T pinion or is that what you have the fans for? I had to drop to a 13T to get around the heat issues.

RC poster

Thumbs up Rally On!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    Yes motor heat was a factor, but after installing a Castle turbo fan it's much cooler. Never had any heat issues with the ESC, but installed a Velineon matching fan just in case.
    So far I've only been able to road race on my cauldesac, so it's mostly mid to high speed. Once it starts to cool off a bit and them dang mosquitoes aren't such a big issue, I'll be able to use my dirt track in the woods on the back of my property. That might be a game changer, needing a smaller pinion for slower to mid speeds and a lot of slow & go.
    Overall I just love the Rally. So much so I have a 2nd still sealed in its box along with another stock DEEGAN body in a sealed bag. That's all for another day ��
    Then there's my XMaxx, 4x4 VXL Slash, 2wd VXL Raptor, 4x4 VXL Mini Summit,
    2wd brushed Bigfoot(wife's), 2wd brushed Skully(wife's) and finally I jumped ship and bought a Losi Mini 8ight 4x4 DB. Next the new 4tec chassis. My son just bought the VXL version and we did a 2s lipo speed run, 37mph. 3s lipo, 49mph with stock gears. It's handling is unbelievable. Pricey, but oh well.
    Sorry to throw my book at ya. Feel free to ask away and I'll share what I can.
    Regards, Chuck.
    Last edited by cchismsr; 08-22-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling