RC poster

SkyRc Leopard 4370Kv 60A brushles combo for Rustler. replace motor or change gearing?

Hey, guys! This is my first post, so hopefully, i am in the right place, and formatting is alright. Just a quick question in regards to gearing/kV ratings

the motor I got is 4370Kv which is nuts for my rustler and always gets hot, (had to get a temp gauge just to stay under the threshold) I want to do mainly on road, but my rusty already stutters when it's starting with the 21/84 gearing (was 31/84, but the temp fears and stuttering at the start was concerning)

my question is should I gear down to 21/90 (or something even lower) or go for a lower kV motor such as a 3300Kv?
    Last edited by Zandir; 08-20-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Welcome to the forums!!!

How hot is 'hot'? If it is less than 160*/f, you are ok, if it is higher you should make changes. If you cannot get the speed out of the motor you have without making it fry, then you should change motors, just make sure your ESC can handle it.

The stuttering is cogging, which is common with non-sensored brushless systems when they are in high torque, low RPM situations.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Is that 4370 a finned motor? If so that is why you are experiencing the heat issues with higher gearing. I have ran those motors in my rustler before and they do just fine when geared conservatively but just don't have the "oompf" to push the truck around with any authority. The 380 sized rotors inside those motors are just not up to the task of creating the torque that you need to push tall gearing. I have ran 4300 4 pole 540 motors with good success on a 60a speed control and they create more torque than you can use (my front tires haven't touched the pavement for quite some time) and they run fairly cool for what they are.
    Insert witty retort here...

+1. If that is the Leopard combo with the 380 can motor, the cause is simple: lack of power.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    yes it is finned and now looking at it I can see how it is not a true 550 motor, that explains the lacking power and heat issues.

does this combo look any good as an upgrade?
    https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/motor-e...combo-38010204

RC Racer
    That 4000kv would do just fine in a rustler. I thought it was a neat option that they offered different connectors pre-soldered with their ESC's. I don't mind soldering but I know for some people this is a huge benefit. Are you going to be running 2s or 3s?
    Insert witty retort here...

RC poster
    I am mainly running 2s but have a 3s for speed runs and showing off. Yeah definitely a good idea, their customer service is also unbeatable.