Question castle 2400kv sct combo or 3800kv combo

which one will be better on 3s with maybe higher gearing? Just built a p4de truggy so need a powerful system. also how fast will the 2400kv system be on 2s with higher gearing? (maybe like 20-26 to 54)

The lower the kv the slower it will be on same voltage as compared to higher kv motor. So 2400 on 3s will be slower than 3800, however I had the 3800 sct combo and on 3s is running it on literal edge of what it can handle. With upgrades, little faster gearing and weight of mine, even with esc/motor fans temps ran at cutoff of safe range.

The difference is the lower the kv the more voltage you can put to it making it faster in the long run. Plus the lower kv will run cooler.

So it really depends on what batteries you have or plan to buy in the future.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 08-20-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

If its off the ground pounding power torque you need, the 2400kv 1/8th scale motor definately fits the bill, even with a 3s lipo, you will have to gear it up if you want more top end speed vs the 3800kv motor that will be faster, but with increased temps that probably wont be to your liking.

Personaly, i'd run with a castle 2650kv and a hobbywing ez-run 120a esc running with a 4s lipo(max)... but thats just me.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    If its off the ground pounding power torque you need, the 2400kv 1/8th scale motor definately fits the bill, even with a 3s lipo, you will have to gear it up if you want more top end speed vs the 3800kv motor that will be faster, but with increased temps that probably wont be to your liking.

Personaly, i'd run with a castle 2650kv and a hobbywing ez-run 120a esc running with a 4s lipo(max)... but thats just me.
    Agreed with slight difference. Id run mm2 or mmx all though that ezrun esc is really long lasting & dependable esc. But itll cost a little more...

The Castle 2400Kv motor is more powerful than the 3800Kv one. So with the right gearing and voltage, your car will be faster with the 2400. That has nothing to do with the lower Kv rate, but everything with the more power that it can deliver.

A optimal geared lower Kv motor will only run cooler than a higher Kv rated one when it has more power.

The 2400 will probably outperform the 3800 on 3S already, but you need 4S to unlock it's full potention. The unsensored version shows 5S on the can, but 5S is a little to much for it to my taste.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The Castle 2400Kv motor is more powerful than the 3800Kv one. So with the right gearing and voltage, your car will be faster with the 2400. That has nothing to do with the lower Kv rate, but everything with the more power that it can deliver.

A optimal geared lower Kv motor will only run cooler than a higher Kv rated one when it has more power.

The 2400 will probably outperform the 3800 on 3S already, but you need 4S to unlock it's full potention. The unsensored version shows 5S on the can, but 5S is a little to much for it to my taste.
    With all due respect, my friend, he originally asked which motor is faster on 3s. So strictly talking same voltage a higher kv motor will turn faster than a lower kv motor. So it has everything to do with kv cause thats what op asked about. I agree with everything else you said

My 3800kv out performed my brothers Velineon 3500kv motor on same batteries. He was so mad his more expensive one was getting beat lol...

But like I said it was maxed out on 3s and eventually shot craps whereas my brothers had no issues.

Last edited by Briber; 08-21-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    With all due respect, my friend, he originally asked which motor is faster on 3s. So strictly talking same voltage a higher kv motor will turn faster than a lower kv motor. So it has everything to do with kv cause thats what op asked about. I agree with everything else you said

My 3800kv out performed my brothers Velineon 3500kv motor on same batteries. He was so mad his more expensive one was getting beat lol...

But like I said it was maxed out on 3s and eventually shot craps whereas my brothers had no issues.

with all due respect he in fact asked which motor is BETTER on 3s with higher gearing. subjectively i would say the 2400 considering i run one myself and feel its the perfect mix of power and speed for the p4de.
    objectively, the higher kv motor will be faster but speed is useless when the motor can't push the weight of the truck because its always overheating.
    Last edited by JohnnyHildo; 08-21-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

Lol. Nothing wrong with respectful discussion. I guess you both contributed to that.

In the end motors can't be fast. Cars can. And it's clear that it's all about a lot of variables that influence speed.

Since the variable the OP is interested in, is the motor, the Castle 2400Kv motor is better, simply because it is more powerful than the 3800Kv one.

To be sure that more power results in more speed in the car, you need to be aware that other variables should change. In this case voltage and gearing. The 2400Kv motor needs to be used with a taller gearing and more voltage to get the optimal result compared to the 3800Kv one.

With everything the same (gearing and voltage), the 3800Kv will win in most cases where the gearing is optimized for it. When you keep gearing up, there is a point where the 2400Kv is going to win, due to it's higher power.

thanks for your answers! I really appreciate it! definitely going for the 2400kv. will be doing more bashing than racing. for the occasional drag race, what gearing should I run for the 2400kv system on 3s (or maybe 4s- thanks Petertje60!) for high speeds?

thanks to all of you for help!

one more question- will it fit without modding?

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mo...bo-010-0160-00

It wont just "drop in" if thats what your wondering, its an 1/8th scale motor... so it will require modifying the chassis for it to fit correctly.

Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYt1AKQVf2E

EDIT - the largest 1/10th scale motor that will just drop in, is a 3660-550 motor, this is mine(pictured)

Last edited by Bige4u; 08-22-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

It's certainly not a drop in, but I think it will work awesome.

i guess ill just cut off half of that 8 shaped nub and round out the area where the motor sits

Quote Originally Posted by Iansprouse1 View Post
    i guess ill just cut off half of that 8 shaped nub and round out the area where the motor sits
    That should work.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    In my opinion, and years of experience, this is the better option:
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster X ESC
    Castle Creations 2650kv motor
    3s LiPo

Tons of power and runs nice and cool.
    Obstacle Magnet

with the 2400kv system, will i need MIP axles and xo-1 diffs?

MIP shafts will be a must... plastic shafts will most likely snap way before you've gone thru the first lipo run.

XO-1 diffs will be able to take the brunt much better, i would suggest getting them installed before you put the 1/8th motor setup in, i have a set installed, front and rear... no issues as of yet.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Dont buy the complete xo-1 diff($40). Buy the diff cup and spider gear set separately(half the price) and put together yourself. Its easy. Heres a thread with part numbers. https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...22#post6201222

Last edited by Briber; 08-25-2017 at 01:44 PM.

i will get the MIP's and build the xo1 diffs. thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    3s LiPo

I agree that this is a great combo!

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    3s LiPo

With that combo run 4s. Its all i run in both my p4des! Ones a sc8/2700kv the other mm2/2200kv. 4s is loads of fun, super fast, standing backflips, 7'+ jumps, trailblazing excitement, front yard bashing bliss lol

Just becareful when running an 1/8th scale motor in a 1/10th scale vehicle while running with a 4s lipo... you will most guarranteed to break parts more frequently if not prepared and do back flips with barely a tap of the throttle.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

so I purchased the 2400kv system and this pinion gear. Will it fit? I kind of bought the pinion without thinking to check.

According to the tower hobbies website, the 2400kv motor has a 3mm shaft diameter and you ordered a 5mm pinion, so it wont fit correctly, but dont fret, there are 5mm to 3mm reducers you can use, but i dont like adapters of any sort.

EDIT...
    CC site info - http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0160-00
    Last edited by Bige4u; 09-03-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

can you send me a link for a good one? thanks for your help!

nevermind. getting the RR 5mm to 1/8 reducer.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wto0149p

I have always used the RR reducer without issues. Nice price on that Mamba X/2400 combo. It's even sensored which is quite an advantage I'd say.

What spur is being used? Not sure on a Pede but on a Slash you won't get a 24t pinion in with a 54t spur. The biggest I got in my Slash was a 20t.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I fit a 22T pinion with a 54T spur using my Castle 2400kv motor once, but even that gearing was way too high and only really useful for speed runs. I puffed two of my 3s packs with that gearing. Using 2s with a 24T pinion, the pack better have some amazing current output. I run 17/54 now which is flexible enough for me to run 2s, 3s, or 4s without worrying about damaging any batteries, and it is still very fast on 3s and 4s.

I run 15t(on 2700 p4de) & 18t(on 2200 p4de) pinions and 50t spurs on my setups on 3s, 4s, & 6s. So those gearing options work well too.

got the motor and esc installed and now my beautiful savox servo is reversed! how do i get it back to normal? there is nothing in the manual for the servo or the esc.

got the motor and esc installed and now my beautiful savox servo is reversed! how do i get it back to normal? there is nothing in the manual for the servo or the esc.
    Use this menu tree to reverse servo steering through tx. Green 2, Green 1, Red 1

since i use the same transmitter for two vehicles, would it reverse the steering for both vehicles? thanks for the help!

since i use the same transmitter for two vehicles, would it reverse the steering for both vehicles? thanks for the help!
    Good question, not sure, idk if that changes the output signal on tx or changes the setting inside rx. Try and see, if it does then i guess its time to buy another tx

RC Enthusiast
    I had the same problem with my rustler and Pede .
    I had to use 2 transmitters before i bought the bluetooth module .Now i can use one transmitter for both cars
    Stampede 4X4 VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by bcndc View Post
    I had the same problem with my rustler and Pede .
    I had to use 2 transmitters before i bought the bluetooth module .Now i can use one transmitter for both cars
    Thanks! And now we know.