Good bashing esc motor combo to run on 2s

Hi all, I recently fried my old 2 pole Vxl system that came in my slash 4whl when I bought it. I only have 2s lipos at the current moment. I am looking for a system that is waterproof and has good power on 2s lipo and is fairly in expensive. I was thinking of getting a hobbywing sc8 and a castle 1415 and gearing it way tall. Thoughts on how this will work will be appreciated. Thanks!
    smooth is fast

RC Racer
    What surface are you running on? And what speeds are you looking for on 2s? Do you want it to be waterproof too?
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

I have a WP-SC8 and castle 2200kv and I run it on 3s geared 18/52 and it's more then fast enough.

For the $$ you can't go wrong with this ESC and trust me it's waterproof (just ask my 3 year old)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Also, if you run either of those motors (2200 or 2400) you need the e-revo slipper upgrade and X-Duty shafts..

Even on 2s either motors have a huge amount of torque.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post
    Also, if you run either of those motors (2200 or 2400) you need the e-revo slipper upgrade and X-Duty shafts..

I figured on needing new axles. I allready have a rrp slipper unit with a steel spur

Even on 2s vxl that thung had a crazy amount of acceleration. When its in grass or dirt you can just pin it and it goes.
    Last edited by Jigsaw49; 08-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    smooth is fast

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post

I have run 2400kv motors for many years. I have always used the stock slipper clutch. Properly adjusted it works great
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have run 2400kv motors for many years. I have always used the stock slipper clutch. Properly adjusted it works great
    well here's the million dollar question. How do these low kv motors run on a 2s lipo
    smooth is fast

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw49 View Post
    well here's the million dollar question. How do these low kv motors run on a 2s lipo
    I have run my 2200kv on 2S and it has a lot of low end... super torquey, but not a lot of speed. I have mine geared 18/54 and a little underwhelmed on 2S. The 2400kv will be a little better with the top end, but still torque for days.
    "Gone racing"

If you have the same batteries you can always run 4s ;-)

I would tell you but I'd rather show you a video of how the El Sob special motor system compared to the Velineon motor system on 2 and 3s!

Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Lol @ video.

So basically the elsob special on 2s geared high is like stock but on 3s with the extra rpm is the sweet spot.

That's like my 2200, on 2s it felt the same geared 18/52 but on 3s it's crazy.

I was at the local BMX track and a guy with an arrma talion on 4s was there and my 3s sl4sh was faster.

I dont really need svreaming speed 50 is good enough for my 4whl i want the torque to be able ti spin all 4 tires on command.
    smooth is fast

I dont really need svreaming speed 50 is good enough for my 4whl i want the torque to be able ti spin all 4 tires on command.
    Hey Jigsaw,

If you want to be able to "spin all 4 tires on command" and still be able to hit 50mph, all while on 2S... good luck my friend! If you drive on gravel or sand only, you can probably achieve the first goal easily enough. We bash on all terrains though and 2S is never going to do it for us. Sorry, it ain't happnin'. You can swap pinions all the time and probably get what you want but you will never have your cake and eat it too.

My son wanted pretty much the same results as you so I borrowed some 2S packs from a buddy to see what they would do. The "only" reason I did this was because I found a link to a GENSACE page where they were selling hard-pack 5000mAh 2S batts for like $20 bucks. They were blems but the price was great. Anyway, I tried one in my then CC 2650KV/MMX sensored powered Slash and installed the other 2S pack in my sons then Velineon powered Slash and it was well... disappointing to say the least. At the time, if I had never had a taste of 3S, and even 4S, I might have been more impressed. But I felt like I was driving a turtle around! I swapped out different pinions a few times and I think my son had the most fun on 11/54 (RR GEN3 slipper installed) but it was still a dog next to just 3S on my 2650KV Slash with the EXACT same gearing. I mean it was UGLY!!! After I pulled the 2S pack from mine and went to 3S, it seemed like he was in slow-motion while I was popping wheelies for 15-20ft left and right! I pulled my sons 2S batt out and dropped our regular 3S back in it and he was smiling again. Didn't last a real long time because with the Velineon, he had to park it more often for "cool down" time. And I know that you can't compare the stock Velineon performance to that of the 8th-scale CC motor but that was what I had at the time. Two weeks later the CC 2200KV/MMX sensored was bought/installed in my rig and the 2650KV passed on to him. It was still practically brand new so he was happier than a pig in... well, you know!

Keep in mind that my ONLY experience with 2S was for that weekend of testing/bashing and I had seen enough. If you don't mind "putting" around or can only afford to put around, I guess 2S will have to suffice. Of course if you get yourself a series batt connector you could strap two 2S batts in it and have a 4S blast! Since the CC 1415 is rated for 3-4S, not sure it would do you any justice on 2S. If your're stuck on 2S, a higher KV motor may be better suited for you.

Good luck!

EDIT: Forgot to mention we tried the stock tires too and they were much more "slippery" on the various terrains, but we regularly run 2.8 Trenchers on my son's rig and I like BadlandsMX 2.8 on mine. That is what we were running when we finished up our 2S day.

-Shack
    Last edited by shack351; 08-25-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Hey Jigsaw,

If you want to be able to "spin all 4 tires on command" and still be able to hit 50mph, all while on 2S... good luck my friend! If you drive on gravel or sand only, you can probably achieve the first goal easily enough. We bash on all terrains though and 2S is never going to do it for us. Sorry, it ain't happnin'. You can swap pinions all the time and probably get what you want but you will never have your cake and eat it too.

My son wanted pretty much the same results as you so I borrowed some 2S packs from a buddy to see what they would do. The "only" reason I did this was because I found a link to a GENSACE page where they were selling hard-pack 5000mAh 2S batts for like $20 bucks. They were blems but the price was great. Anyway, I tried one in my then CC 2650KV/MMX sensored powered Slash and installed the other 2S pack in my sons then Velineon powered Slash and it was well... disappointing to say the least. At the time, if I had never had a taste of 3S, and even 4S, I might have been more impressed. But I felt like I was driving a turtle around! I swapped out different pinions a few times and I think my son had the most fun on 11/54 (RR GEN3 slipper installed) but it was still a dog next to just 3S on my 2650KV Slash with the EXACT same gearing. I mean it was UGLY!!! After I pulled the 2S pack from mine and went to 3S, it seemed like he was in slow-motion while I was popping wheelies for 15-20ft left and right! I pulled my sons 2S batt out and dropped our regular 3S back in it and he was smiling again. Didn't last a real long time because with the Velineon, he had to park it more often for "cool down" time. And I know that you can't compare the stock Velineon performance to that of the 8th-scale CC motor but that was what I had at the time. Two weeks later the CC 2200KV/MMX sensored was bought/installed in my rig and the 2650KV passed on to him. It was still practically brand new so he was happier than a pig in... well, you know!

Keep in mind that my ONLY experience with 2S was for that weekend of testing/bashing and I had seen enough. If you don't mind "putting" around or can only afford to put around, I guess 2S will have to suffice. Of course if you get yourself a series batt connector you could strap two 2S batts in it and have a 4S blast! Since the CC 1415 is rated for 3-4S, not sure it would do you any justice on 2S. If your're stuck on 2S, a higher KV motor may be better suited for you.

Good luck!

-Shack
    if theese low lv motors really need that higher voltage for good power i may shell out for 2 identical 2s packs so i can run them in my race car and in series on my 4 whl slash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    smooth is fast

if theese low lv motors really need that higher voltage for good power i may shell out for 2 identical 2s packs so i can run them in my race car and in series on my 4 whl slash.

That is a good idea. I run my MMX 2200kv on 4S and it is absolutely insane. I don't even know what I would do with more power.

I think you will be very happy with your choice on 4S.
    "Gone racing"

Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    That is a good idea. I run my MMX 2200kv on 4S and it is absolutely insane. I don't even know what I would do with more power.

I think you will be very happy with your choice on 4S.
    Anothet issue is that im gonna snap the stock axles pretty easily but thats abother thread for anither day.
    smooth is fast

I think you nailed it! Lower KV motors do thrive on voltage. And nothing wrong... at all... with the motor/esc combo choice that you mention above. IF you run that on 3/4S, especially 4S, you will be grinning from ear-to-ear all while lighting-up the tires and doing 50+ mph passes... with relative ease!

-Shack

Anothet issue is that im gonna snap the stock axles pretty easily but thats abother thread for anither day.
    Lol, true. Go for the MIP X-Duties, a little pricey, but worth every penny.
    "Gone racing"

I have to admit something about the "stock" axles. While they will tear-up much more easily than say X-Duties or the like, they actually can take some abuse! While I was polishing a rear set of MIPs, I tossed the stock plastics back on it (my 2200Kv/MMX rig) and much to my surprise, I never had a problem with the two or three 4S packs that they got abused with. Very little jumping but as far as just handling the power and driving around in grass and dirt, they did alright. I wouldn't count on them for day in and day out bashing but you might get away with using them for a little while if you need some time to get yourself a nice heavy-duty set of axles.

-Shack

I have to admit something about the "stock" axles. While they will tear-up much more easily than say X-Duties or the like, they actually can take some abuse! While I was polishing a rear set of MIPs, I tossed the stock plastics back on it (my 2200Kv/MMX rig) and much to my surprise, I never had a problem with the two or three 4S packs that they got abused with. Very little jumping but as far as just handling the power and driving around in grass and dirt, they did alright. I wouldn't count on them for day in and day out bashing but you might get away with using them for a little while if you need some time to get yourself a nice heavy-duty set of axles.

-Shack
    I suppose that makes some sense because the axle is stressed to most when landing jumps on high power. I have race dutys on my 2whl slash and bent the dogbones on 2s. But then again i flattened the wheel hex. I know tekno makes some axles but the carriers are proprietary??

smooth is fast

Exactly what I do.I have 3 packs, 2 identical Traxxas 2s packs and a SMC 3s. I run my GT on 2s, my Rustler on 2s with an occasional 3s and my Slash on 3s with the occasional 4s. Haven't put a 2s in the Slash in a LONG time. Once you hit these low KV motors with 3s or 4s you won't be putting any 2s packs through them...lol.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

get the kinexsis 4000kv system. its WP and powerful and less than 80 bucks! one of my bashing buddies has it and loves it.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...mbo-p-kxss0501

RC Qualifier
    4000kv is way to high for the slash and it's a 540 size motor. it's great for the 2wd but that's a lot of strain on a 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    2s can do big things too lol. https://youtu.be/EPul_zdGZw0

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    2s can do big things too lol. https://youtu.be/EPul_zdGZw0

Hey General!

If anyone has shown that 2S can be a used in a speedster, it is YOU! That run does look impressive!

-Shack

Hey General!

If anyone has shown that 2S can be a used in a speedster, it is YOU! That run does look impressive!

-Shack
    Appreciate it man, I've done it with my rustler as well. Rustler is even faster on 2s.

Appreciate it man, I've done it with my rustler as well. Rustler is even faster on 2s.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your gearing? And you're running that XLX on 2S... you got me tripped out brother!

-Shack

If you don't mind me asking, what is your gearing? And you're running that XLX on 2S... you got me tripped out brother!

-Shack
    Not being rude or anything, but I won't release my exact ratio, but I will say it's geared up pretty well. Correct I use a Xlx, it runs on 2s just fine. I just wanted too try it and see what happened lol.

Not being rude or anything, but I won't release my exact ratio, but I will say it's geared up pretty well. Correct I use a Xlx, it runs on 2s just fine. I just wanted too try it and see what happened lol.

Not rude at all brother! Having a few "trade secrets' is a good thing! As for "I just wanted too try it and see what happened", well, I guess you gotta be pretty happy with how that little test turned out! Nice rig!!!

-Shack

Not rude at all brother! Having a few "trade secrets' is a good thing! As for "I just wanted too try it and see what happened", well, I guess you gotta be pretty happy with how that little test turned out! Nice rig!!!

-Shack
    Thanks for understanding, some people get mad if you don't tell them what gear your running. Yes sir, extremely pleased with the results on both platforms and thank you for the compliment. OP not trying too hijack your thread lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

-Shack
    I don't know his exact ratio either but by the looks of his setup he's running a modified motor mount which allows you to run the motor on top of the spur gear instead of the side. By running this you can probably run 1:1 mod 1 gearing. I have one of the first versions of this mount since then the guy making them has made them differently. The one I had I ran 29/36 mod 1 and had some more room for a bigger pinion.
    General nice run man. I remember when you was first starting the speed runs with your pede now your doing it with all your cars. Awesome man

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I don't know his exact ratio either but by the looks of his setup he's running a modified motor mount which allows you to run the motor on top of the spur gear instead of the side. By running this you can probably run 1:1 mod 1 gearing. I have one of the first versions of this mount since then the guy making them has made them differently. The one I had I ran 29/36 mod 1 and had some more room for a bigger pinion.
    General nice run man. I remember when you was first starting the speed runs with your pede now your doing it with all your cars. Awesome man
    Thanks man, I've came a long way since then lol. Mount I'm using is sagacustomrc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks man, I've came a long way since then lol. Mount I'm using is sagacustomrc.

Yep he's the one I got mine from. Vgad23 on eBay
    So when's the 6s speed run coming out lol

I have their mount in my parts bin as well.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I have their mount in my parts bin as well.
    Well what's it doing in the bin? Should be on your ride

Yep he's the one I got mine from. Vgad23 on eBay
    So when's the 6s speed run coming out lol
    Lol it'll be awhile, me and a buddy like doing low cell passes since we're limited but the roads we run. He just hit over 100 on 2s with his slash as well.

Well what's it doing in the bin? Should be on your ride
    Still trying to figure out how I want to do things in/on the chassis.

Once I put the center mount in, I would pretty much have to
    1) run with the batteries hanging off the sides and
    2) use bodies that are wide enough to cover the batteries.

I still don't like fully fendered bodies!

Have a few ideas running through my head, but have to mock things up to be sure...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein