RC Competitor

SLASH or STAMPEDE?

I know this topic in this forum may be a little bias, but if you were to go back in time would you get a slash 2wd or a stampede 2wd?
    Your a young kid wanting to get either truck, with a budget.
    What are some upgrades you'd do over time?
    What upgrades would you do before your first run?
    Let me know your feedback!

- Zach

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

i would start with the slash, if he ever changes his mind and wants a stampede, the slash would be extremely easy to convert to a stampede. On a slash, the first upgrades i would do are the tires, battery, and shock caps.
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

Depends on where you run. If longer grass then the Stampede. If there are no tall obstructions then the Slash. Or you could get a Slash and put the Stampede tires on it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    i would prefer the Stampede. I don't like how the body on the Slash is exposed outward, seems easy to crash into something and break. I would go 2 wheel VXL with Stampede for extra speed. 2 wheel drive should mean less things to break and/or repair. I do like the tires better on Stampede as well. I would put a bit wider/taller front bumper on it to help protect shocks, etc.
    You should always ease off throttle before cornering and ease back in to it, just like driving a car! RC cars should not be run full throttle in all situations and will last longer with driving skills and without jack rabbit starts!
    Last edited by BigAL12; 08-24-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: throttle control
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer
    I'll be honest - I have a Slash 2wd and Stampede 4wd and my cousin has a Slash 4wd. I would choose the Slash 4wd for 95% of the time.
    The Stampede 4wd wheelies too much.
    The Slash 2wd doesn't have enough traction and when turning you really have to manager the throttle because the inner tire likes to break loose and spin.
    The Slash 4wd just works. But as stated, TALL grass is not it's friend.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Pick the 2wd slash all day long. The entire front of the chassis is designed much better. Stronger and more performance oriented steering.

First out of box is alum c blocks, and losi green front and blue rear shock springs. Then tires after he gets used to it. On a xl5 slash, your not gonna be popping shock caps off very often unless you put heavier wt oil in the shocks, but they are good to have lying around just in case...

That big front body overhang saves the front suspension from impacts. Way better than having the tires way out snagging obstacles and breaking arms and bulkheads. If you reinforce the body with a little shoo goo, it will not Crack up so quick... and your not supposed to wreck the truck full speed into solid objects lol. Use the brakes 8)
    Last edited by rag6; 08-24-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

I don't think there's any real advantage to the Stampede, except for the taller tires if you're driving in grass or rougher terrain. Overall, I think the Slash is more stable because of the longer chassis and easier to drive. So stick tall tires on a Slash if you need to.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Get both, there I solved your problem. Either way you go starting out replace things as you go or infill you figure out what works and doesn't work for you. Far as the slash I'd say replacing stuff, worth going Lipo, and a hinge pin set from proline or stuff. Keep us updated on what you pick

RC Qualifier
    I have two 2wd Slashes and love it! A friend has a 2wd Stampede and I didnt like the way it drove at all. It tipped over more often. I put 2.8 Proline Mashers on the HCG Slash. It's more fun to drive than my LCG Slash, and WAY more stable than a Stampede. Its the best of both worlds.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Only reason I would recommend a pede, is if the person wanted the short wheelbase and the instability that comes with it... the slash as an Mt will leave the pede chassis in the dust. Only reason to get a pede is if you want that look. Some prefer the wonderful crazy Rollercoaster ride of the pede, in fact many do, I'm just not one of them.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

I have owned a slash and stampede 2wd and slash 4wd.

For all around fun the slash 4x4 is the best IMHO.

Stampede wants to flip over too easily due to its short wheelbase.

I have settled on a slash 4x4 with 2.8 wheels for the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

^Agreed! Having driven both 2wd slash and 2wd pedes, my vote is for a 4x4. Thats why I owned 3 Pede 4x4's (now down to 2) The 2wd slash/pede just spins out to easy and bashing around in front yard it just doesnt move or handle as well. 4x4's get better bite and can go more places than 2wd.
    But why P4des over Slash 4x4 you ask? Just like the looks of the truck body more. There are a few things you can do to P4des if you want more stability(change springs, lower, protrac kit(longer swing arms), wider offset wheels, wheel adapter with more offset, etc. Some changes are more involved than others but know they are tunable according to driving styles and conditions.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 08-25-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    Slash any day of the week

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas never had to make another chassis to fix the Stampede...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    Traxxas never had to make another chassis to fix the Stampede...
    Lol. Well said.

RC poster
    Would a 4wd brushless slash with 2.8 badlands tires work well in grass 1-3 inches? If so what pinion gear would you use with the stock spur gear so as not to overheat?
    Or would the stock stampede 4wd brushless be a better option?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For bashing I'd get the P4de or do the MT conversion for the slash. The only downside is hacking up the body to fit the tires.