RC poster

Question Thinking about a Summit

Hello everyone, my first time to the Traxxas forums. A buddy of mine and his family all have traxxas RC cars (Slash, Stampede and Telluride) and I want to join in the fun. I really like the look of the Summit and I have some nice hills and trails in my area. My question for the community is, how will it compare when I hang out with my buddy and family? I know the slash is much faster but we're typically playing in the lawn. Can I mod the Summit to be as fast? Any gotchas or things I should look out for before I drop ~$500?

RC Qualifier
    The summit is a great truck. Where is it your buddy runs, far as terrain? Yes the summit can go faster especially if you which to brushless. But also be prepared to upgrade if going faster. My summit is stock and only ever broke one thing in less than a year of having it. The summit can do lots of good things and will be could be a good choice for the hills behind you.

I love my summit too but it took these upgrades: aluminum bearing carriers, Tekin 2000kv, mmx esc, full lem diff & axle upgrade along with dog bone, axial beadlocks and rockcrushers, 500-700(not exactly sure since I bought from a friend that had done upgrades already) more bucks on top of original rc purchase, to be as fast and fun as:
    Stock Stampede or Slash Vxl 4x4 versions($500) on 3s,
    Stock Xmaxx ($500-600) 6s version or,
    Stock E Revo Brushless Edition (bday gift so not sure but think at lhs it was around $650 at the time) on 4s.

Imo theres a lot cheaper options(cheaper including the upgrades) to start with that give great trail blazing ability, speed and jumping abilities over the Summit for starters in the hobby. I was going to get a summit too as my first but a wise salesman explained to me the differences and abilities of different models causing me to realize a better choice to start with other than summit. From what you describe wanting to run with friends around house and front yards, I think a stock erevo brushless or stampede/slash 4x4 would be a better starting point for you, than the stock brushed summit. If dead set on summit get brushless system since its pretty much the same rc as erevo. Here is my upgraded Summit. Here is my stock ERBE
    I cant resist this teaser, here my summit setup with spartan.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 08-24-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    Good advice Briber.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice. What's the actual differences between an erevo and summit? I like the look of the summit more than the erevo, but I'm not opposed to the erevo either. That's why I'm here asking the questions.
    Last edited by BrandonK13; 08-25-2017 at 12:08 PM.

RC poster
    More silly questions. Is the erevo based off the nitro revo? I assume the summit is the electric version of the nitro revo? can I mod the suspension of an erevo to make it have the stance of revo/summit? I understand the lower center of gravity of the erevo keeps it from flipping but I do like the actual monster truck look of the summit better.

RC poster
    Even more silly questions. Besides the yard, we also run RC's in the sand dunes by lake michigan. Does that make a difference to which would perform better? There is also a park near my house that has a huge hill that I want to run up and down in all seasons. Many other terrains as well. I expect the yard will be 80%+ usage but I want to be able to run in as many conditions as possible, if that makes sense?

the summit does not like bashing for a long time in grass. I say you should buy something like a slash 4x4 or a stampede, but if you love to be able to go anywhere and still bash a little get the summit.
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

Erevo is a basher. Made for all out bashing, trail blazing or street running on 4-6s. 6s will need diff and drive shaft upgrades.

Summit is a rock crawler. I dont see any reason to ever need a summit on 6s. Built for power and pulling.

Summit has 2 speed tranny, high for transport and low for crawling. Summit also has locking diffs.

Suspension on both have whats called rocker arms attached to shocks.(see the gray triangle shaped part at end of shock). Theres different rockers you can put on to change suspension(p1,p2, lt) with the long travel rockers heres the range of suspension.

I ran with a buddy who had a Summit when I first got my erbe and I went every where he went. Not as easily but still kept up. As far as him keeping up with me on bashing, erbe won.

The erevo is very close to nitro version except chassis is different having batt compartments. And obviously motor, tranny and gas tank lol. I had a nitro Revo I built myself out of a box of parts a friend gave me. Sold it a few months back.
    Heres how I run my erbe. I run 4s with 50t spur.

I guess you could buy the erbe and just put on summit body mounts and body. If you like a truck look more then Stampede 4x4 is good too.

Last edited by Briber; 08-25-2017 at 03:01 PM.

RC poster
    You're quickly selling me on the erbe. Is there an easy way to put the summit drive train in an erbe? I realize it wouldn't be a quick change, but is it technically possible to swap between the two power systems? If not, I'm thinking the correct answer is to buy both, but that being said, could I buy an erbe and then convert it to the summit tranny/motor?

You can buy the Erbe and go slow itd be the same as summit. Why mess with changing tranny and diffs (Not exactly sure but summit has locking diffs so Im assuming they are different than erbe).
    Or buy the summit and sink another 500-700 in to it to get motor, esc and bullet proof the locking diffs to almost get it the speed of the erbe and still retain the rock crawling features.
    If you have the Summit setup as a rock crawler at high speeds it has bad bad body roll because suspension is very soft designed to traverse rough terrain. If you set it up for speed then it wont do as good when you went off roading.
    They are close to same rc but setup for 2 totally different purposes.
    Comparing the 2 side by side out in the field, Id give it to the erbe hands down because it was close to summit abilities out of the box without sinking all that extra $ in to upgrades. The only reason I bought the Summit was because it was fully upgraded for close to same price as buying a stock one and have always liked the look of it. A deal I couldnt pass up.
    Last edited by Briber; 08-25-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Or you could get the summit that is cheaper looks cooler breaks less ( it's slower) and can go places the e revo can't dream of with the unlocked diffs and cogging motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SLAM!

Hands the e revo and summit are both awesome in there own ways but am still going to shine some light on the summit before you chose what car you want

My summit and my friends rustler vxl together.

SLAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcguy5 View Post
    Hands the e revo and summit are both awesome in there own ways but am still going to shine some light on the summit before you chose what car you want

My summit and my friends rustler vxl together.

I dont deny the Summit as awesome in its own rights. Its super cool, i do own one too. Im telling you though when we ran side by side fully upgraded Summit(with purchase price around 1400) my Erbe stock(650ish)with lt rockers and swampers on it, it went 99% of places my buddies Summit did. It wasnt as slow or graceful as summit but none the less followed right along. Btw mine didnt cog at the correct throttle it took to climb the same areas his summit did, but i ran circles around him with erbe speed. Dont get me wrong I think the Summit is bad to the bone! Im just giving my honest opinion and explaining my experience with the two.

I think for the kind of terrain that Brandonk13 wants to run on a e revo would be more suited, but its his first rc I don't think he should get a e revo or a summit. there not good beginner cars.
    SLAM!

I love my summit too but as a first rc vehicle it would have been a bit overwhelming. Same with the erevo. But if the added complexity doesn't throw ya both are super fun.

I use my erbe on 6s for screaming down the road and crazy high jumps. It will not settle down and crawl up a trail with you walking next to it like the summit... It wants to go!

The stock summit is going to feel slow, because it is! But it's really great for trails and hill climbs and places where you're not in a hurry.

You could also look at getting a slash 4x4, putting big tires on it and an emaxx body. Then you've got a truck with lots of aftermarket options and a much easier time working on it. If you're running in sand you will be doing a lot more maintenance, so this might not be a bad option. I have one and after some upgrades it's a great all around truck.

All are super fun, so whatever you choose you'll be fine!

^Agree 100% with both posts! My starter was xl-5 Stampede 4x4. Broke me in to hobby grade rc very nicely.

RC poster
    I think for the kind of terrain that Brandonk13 wants to run on a e revo would be more suited, but its his first rc I don't think he should get a e revo or a summit. there not good beginner cars.
    This is what my buddy said as well. He mentioned a slash or rustler. He loves his slash and all of the aftermarket parts and stuff to tinker with, which is also up my ally. I just want something different than what he has, but I am also aware I can customize the crap out of a slash. And since price is a sticky point with the wife, a 2wd slash may be a good place to start?

I think a slash 4x4. its $400 instead of $500. and only one battery is needed. get a summit for a second rc.
    SLAM!

RC poster
    Thanks for all of the information and help. I appreciate it!

RC Competitor
    Hi, I dont know if your mind is set and you bought your car but if you could try before you buy that would be a sure way to know.

A salesman sold me to the Stampede because my first idea was to buy a Summit, I have so mutch fun with my Stampede, I dont know if I would have liked it so mutch with a Summit.

The Pede is my first but not my last RC car

Quote Originally Posted by Blademael View Post
    Hi, I dont know if your mind is set and you bought your car but if you could try before you buy that would be a sure way to know.

A salesman sold me to the Stampede because my first idea was to buy a Summit, I have so mutch fun with my Stampede, I dont know if I would have liked it so mutch with a Summit.

The Pede is my first but not my last RC car
    Sounds like the exact same thing that happened with my first purchase and trying to decide...

RC Enthusiast
    So do what I did: get the Summit first and then get yourself a 1/16 revo. Why?! Because one can NEVER have too many of anything in a hobby AND every vehicle is fun in its own right.

This way you get a great little basher that can keep up with your friends AND you have the versatile Summit that proves it's worth even stock!
    I live in a town that is literally in and around hills and my Summit has been an adventure just in backyards and around the neighborhood. Take it beyond the backyard into the state park and it really shines. ONLY mods so far are metal gears in steering servos and RCarmor for chassis and A-arms.
    Last edited by Praetorius; 05-07-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typos
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorius View Post
    So do what I did: get the Summit first and then get yourself a 1/16 revo. Why?! Because one can NEVER have too many of anything in a hobby AND every vehicle is fun in its own right.
    I did what you did...only on crack!

I got the 1/16th Revo Brushed (Couldn't find a VXL) and the E-revo 2.0, then the Rustler 4x4 VXL, then the X-Maxx and a Defender....now I'm trying to figure out if a Summit fits in the pack somewhere.

FWIW, I love the speed of the cars, but have no intention of going faster. I bought all my batteries with runtime in mind over speed. That means they are all 2 cell except for the X-Maxx batteries.

So, given that I have an E-Revo 2.o and an X-Maxx, would the Summit still fit in between them or would it take a backseat to one or both?

I'm pretty new to this so thanks for the suggestions.

It'll be interesting to see which the OP decides...and what I'll decide as well.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I did what you did...only on crack!

I got the 1/16th Revo Brushed (Couldn't find a VXL) and the E-revo 2.0, then the Rustler 4x4 VXL, then the X-Maxx and a Defender....now I'm trying to figure out if a Summit fits in the pack somewhere.

FWIW, I love the speed of the cars, but have no intention of going faster. I bought all my batteries with runtime in mind over speed. That means they are all 2 cell except for the X-Maxx batteries.

So, given that I have an E-Revo 2.o and an X-Maxx, would the Summit still fit in between them or would it take a backseat to one or both?

I'm pretty new to this so thanks for the suggestions.

It'll be interesting to see which the OP decides...and what I'll decide as well.
    If you have challanging trails etc the summit is a fun truck.
    Stuff that smaller trucks have problems with it it laughs at.
    Anywhere, Anytime, Any weather.
    I own other trucks. trx 4 wroncho scx 10's and 2 summits.all good rigs for different reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    If you have challanging trails etc the summit is a fun truck.
    Stuff that smaller trucks have problems with it it laughs at.
    Anywhere, Anytime, Any weather.
    I own other trucks. trx 4 wroncho scx 10's and 2 summits.all good rigs for different reasons.

I'm still trying to find an area that has dirt, mounds and isn't either fenced in or has 2' of grass/weeds covering the mounds. If I lived closer to the mountains, I'd probably be set. I live in Greeley Colorado so mountains are about 45 minutes away with good traffic, which there never is such a thing during daylight anymore. There's a bunch of construction going on around me but 98% of the sites are either off limits or not ideal for one reason or another.

I'm still trying to find an area that has dirt, mounds and isn't either fenced in or has 2' of grass/weeds covering the mounds. If I lived closer to the mountains, I'd probably be set. I live in Greeley Colorado so mountains are about 45 minutes away with good traffic, which there never is such a thing during daylight anymore. There's a bunch of construction going on around me but 98% of the sites are either off limits or not ideal for one reason or another.
    Maybe not a ideal choice then.
    Going fast is fun too.
    But I'm spoiled I have it all where I am.Sea to sky.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Maybe not a ideal choice then.
    Going fast is fun too.
    But I'm spoiled I have it all where I am.Sea to sky.

I probably do too and just don't know it yet!

I probably do too and just don't know it yet!
    Well if you do have some stuff.
    https://youtu.be/R6YzJpYPReY

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    If you like to crawl, the Summit is a good choice. If you want to go fast, there are several cars mentioned that are faster.
    I think the Summit is the only 2 speed, locking diff car on your list.
    I love my Summit for crawling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by g2weaver View Post
    If you like to crawl, the Summit is a good choice. If you want to go fast, there are several cars mentioned that are faster.
    I think the Summit is the only 2 speed, locking diff car on your list.
    I love my Summit for crawling.

If one has the E-Revo 2.0 and the Defender, does the Summit fit between the two or is it just too similar to the E-Revo?

Summit is the same chassis as the E Revo just with everything else different. I would say the defender is completely different and compared to an axial SCX10.
    SLAM!

Summit is the same chassis as the E Revo just with everything else different. I would say the defender is completely different and compared to an axial SCX10.
    I understand they have the same chassis, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are outfitted to the same tasks.

I was just wondering if the Summit fits in between the two or is too similar to the E-Revo.

Tomorrow is feeling like new car day! Depending on available stock, I'll either pick up a Summit or a UDR...initially the UDR didn't appeal to me, but one of you psychos (Yeah, I'm looking at you RegularGuy!). Has got me looking at the UDR now too.
    Watching Kevin Talbot videos on the UDR has got me going. I guess we'll see what's in stock...

RC poster
    What did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by g2weaver View Post
    What did you get?

I got both the Summit and the UDR...That was six days ago and still haven't run either one yet! I did get some pictures of them, I posted them here:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...the-lake-today!