RC Competitor

Smile How do i prevent rustler from breaking instantly

I don't really trust amazon reviews that often, however the reviews that scare me are the ones that, essentially say "my rustler was a dud out of the box" or "the tranny got stripped in like a day" so maybe there's something i could do to potentially prevent this from happening
    Like opening the tranny and check for any debris there that ocurred during the manufacturing process, stuff like that ya know?
    one day... Rusties will dominate the RC World

RC Qualifier
    You shouldn’t have to open the transmission, but you should check the pinion to spur mesh and make sure it is set properly.

Other than that, a rustler should be fine out of the box. If you’re getting an xl5 version it should run for a long time without issues. Assuming you don’t run it in to things. If you’re getting a vxl, well you’re going to run it in to things, so go ahead and order some aluminum shock caps and aluminum caster blocks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
    You shouldn’t have to open the transmission, but you should check the pinion to spur mesh and make sure it is set properly.

Other than that, a rustler should be fine out of the box. If you’re getting an xl5 version it should run for a long time without issues. Assuming you don’t run it in to things. If you’re getting a vxl, well you’re going to run it in to things, so go ahead and order some aluminum shock caps and aluminum caster blocks.
    I agree with rag6, also look into a hinge pin set. The stockers have a habit of backing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Icytower387 View Post
    How do i prevent rustler from breaking instantly
    If your a skilled and reasonable driver it'll last a long time, if your less than that
    it'll be broke within the first hour.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    If your a skilled and reasonable driver it'll last a long time, if your less than that
    it'll be broke within the first hour.
    Agree 100%. No jack rabbit starts. Ease in to the throttle gradually, ease off throttle before turning (eases pressure off diffs while turning) and ease back in to the throttle when straight. Ease off throttle while jumping in air. The same goes for any RC and the car you drive! I would never buy a used RC for this reason, because i'm sure they abused it. Brand new i would definitely be easy on it the first run.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

Agree with all above. i bought an xl5 off Craigslist and stuffed my leftover vxl/3500kv in it. It's actually been tough as nails! I beat it pretty hard, not huge jumps but small ones. I stand it up on the wheelie bar at speed. It's been rolled multiple times at full throttle. Aside from the culvert I smacked(hub and caster block,both pretty cheap) I have really not broken anything. The stock tires didn't last long but the cheapy SC Badlands on it now seem to be doing fine. I have a blast with this truck!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Mine ran great on 3s. I had a 2100kv motor with sidewinder 8th esc in it. I eventually turned it in to a speed runner but before that had no issues with it mostly stock (except that motor, esc & aluminum tranny case & shock caps) and ran it hard! Wheelies the length of soccer field, many flips/roll overs, no jumping though...

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 08-25-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    Thanks to everyone for their support, my xl-5 will be arriving tomorrow (hopefully)
    one day... Rusties will dominate the RC World

One more thing, get aluminium caster blocks when (or if) the stock blocks break.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I agree with rag6, also look into a hinge pin set. The stockers have a habit of backing out.
    If you have hinge pins that back out, screw them in from the opposite end.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    If you have hinge pins that back out, screw them in from the opposite end.
    Or spend 20 bucks and there's no way it'll happen again.