RC poster

Spur gear problem

I took it to the local skate park today and bashed a lot. Mostly landed upside down, but took it easy. No full throttle jumps.

Then when I got home, I did some speed runs down the street. On the 4th or 5th run I blew the front tire. (Blew a back one on sat) but after turning around the car would not move. So I did the rc walk of shame and had to go get it and carry it home. First thing I checked was the spur gear. And this is how it looked.

Was it too tight? I didn't do full throttle that much.

I already ordered a replacement set of tires and a bunch of spare parts I read break often. Just no spur gears.

Thanks for all the help I get from everyone on here. Makes it easier to resolve issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx96 View Post
    I took it to the local skate park today and bashed a lot. Mostly landed upside down, but took it easy. No full throttle jumps.

Then when I got home, I did some speed runs down the street. On the 4th or 5th run I blew the front tire. (Blew a back one on sat) but after turning around the car would not move. So I did the rc walk of shame and had to go get it and carry it home. First thing I checked was the spur gear. And this is how it looked.

Was it too tight? I didn't do full throttle that much.

I already ordered a replacement set of tires and a bunch of spare parts I read break often. Just no spur gears.

Thanks for all the help I get from everyone on here. Makes it easier to resolve issues.
    Probably from bashing it shifted your motor, and messed up your mesh. Just make sure when you put a new spur gear in that you put a piece of note book papper in between the spur, and pinion. Snug them together, and tighten everything down.
    TRX4 Bronco
    Brushless Losi 5T

RC Competitor
    It looks like the tips of the teeth were stripped off. Makes me think the mesh was not tight enough. Could have been set wrong or like Fueler941 pointed out, the motor could have shifted and messed up the mesh.

Are we not seeing the other thing here. Looks like to me slipper was to loose and it heated up causing plastic to melt, which caused spur misalignment and then loose mesh stripped the gears.

Unless for some reason the op opened up those mount holes with drill, but that would never hold securely and still caused the stripped teeth.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 09-01-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    The slipper was tightened fully then backed off 3/4 turn.
    I now have it just under a 1/4 turn loose. I may have to replace the slipper, or get a spare when I order a couple new spurs.
    Found the spurs on ebay for $6.

when the slipper melted the spur, that caused the damage to the teeth.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    when the slipper melted the spur, that caused the damage to the teeth.
    Agree thats what I was seeing!
    Thats way to loose on slipper, I run all my rc's slippers fully tightened. Finger control is your best friend
    Btw 87 GN love the siggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Agree thats what I was seeing!
    Thats way to loose on slipper, I run all my rc's slippers fully tightened. Finger control is your best friend
    Btw 87 GN love the siggy!

I'm thinking of getting the slipper eliminator. I honestly like to run it fully tightened anyways myself. :P
    TRX4 Bronco
    Brushless Losi 5T

Quote Originally Posted by Fueler941 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the slipper eliminator. I honestly like to run it fully tightened anyways myself. :P
    Dont buy one, I have an extra Ill throw in mail for ya. Paybacks for extras you sent to me buddy.
    That is another option and they do work well. No fussing with nut and believe its better having less mass on slipper shaft!

RC poster
    I found a metal spur gear 65t replacement, is that a good idea?