RC poster

New to the hobby - System Recommendation (Rustler XL-5)

Hello all,

A friend of mine bought me a "Rabing RC Car 1/20" from Amazon a few months ago and I fell in love with the slow thing. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I walked into my local hobby shop and was simply amazed at the prices of next-tier R/C cars. Already spending thousands to upgrade my real life cars, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend even $100 on an R/C car and yet...I walked out with a Rustler XL-5.

So I took my car out in my neighborhood and had a blast. Within a week, I bought an RPM front bumper, aluminum caster blocks, another niMH battery pack, silverado body, led lights, and anaconda tires. I threw a spare phone on it and saw that it was "only" 24 mph. Then, like real cars, I learned about gearing. Today, I got the car up to 37mph with the 28/86 combo.

Now here I am ready to go faster. As in...double the speed. I want to go 70...safely. I could have saved myself some time/money and bought the VXL, but I didn't know I'd be this into it. Now with all of the information I've read in the past week, I'm more confused than ever when it comes to what motor/esc I should buy.

budget - $125 (for the motor/esc)
    usage - 80% street/park; 20% plans on taking it to the local track
    goals - 70 mph top speed with a continuous/average speed above 50mph for 2 hours (switching out battery packs obviously).
    I'd also like something that I can use with my current Nimh 7 cell battery packs until I mentally prepare myself for the expense of the lipo charger/batteries.

I've read a lot about castle, hobbyw1ngz, etc... and all I get is more confused. Just when I'm sold on getting the XVL system, I read 10 more threads saying get something else.

In my opinion the Vxl is probably all you will need for awhile. Of course many gents will recommend others. I have 2 VXLs and am very happy with them.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can get the hobbywing Wp-sc-8. Get a motor between 3000 and 4000 kv. Batteries 2-3S. You'll be grinning from ear to ear. May want to invest in steel axles in the near future

Tbh a castle sct (with 3800kv motor) combo for around $110 is a bit cheaper than the vxl velineon system and will get you moving nicely.
    Id recommend going to mod 8/32pitch gears as well. 48p has tiny teeth and strip easy. But you wont be able to run gear cover.
    Id also go to lipo batts. They sustain power level through out run, whereas the nimh starts slowing down from the minute you start using it. Jere was my first set up, a bit more than vxl 3500kv though. This was a 2100kv motor with sidewinder 8th esc. Prob a bit more than you want right now plus I had to modify the tranny case for motor to fit.
    Never gps it but Id say 50-60mph range.

Heres my current setup. Gps at 93mph. Lots of mods!

Welcome to the Trx family and addiction lol.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 09-03-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Wp-sc-8 . I have to decide on a motor now. Might try something cheap from ebay to start with.
    Last edited by detroit_rustler; 09-03-2017 at 04:52 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_rustler View Post
    thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Wp-sc-8 . I have to decide on a motor now. Might try something cheap from ebay to start with.
    Good call. Get a GoolRC or something I. That range. Nothing too cheap. Not worth the money. Pay attention to reviews

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_rustler View Post
    Nice dude! i am going with the sc8 myself in my rusty. I am not too sure what motor to get either
    I might go with a tenshock sc401 3400kv or a castle 3800kv. If i do not have enough money, i am probs gonna go with a tacon or leaopard.
    Just to give you a bit of insparation.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    Nice dude! i am going with the sc8 myself in my rusty. I am not too sure what motor to get either
    I might go with a tenshock sc401 3400kv or a castle 3800kv. If i do not have enough money, i am probs gonna go with a tacon or leaopard.
    Just to give you a bit of insparation.
    I've never heard anyone complain about leopard or tacon.

You could pair that SC8 with a RC Gearshop 3900kv motor. I run that esc with the 2150kv Gearshop in my Slash...it's been great! The 3900kv should move a Rustler just fine...$30.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXETXT&P=3
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Wait, wait....I've let everyone down.

Right after I finally decided to get the sc8, AND painted my rustler body, a guy offered me $150 for it. So I sold it. I only paid $190 brand new.

So now I'm going to buy a Rustler VXL and hope to God that I don't get tired of that combo anytime soon. I want to buy a new one, I know I should buy a new one, but there's a certain VXL on fleabay....

i have seen this on ebay! that car is sick!!
    i would love to get that, but i am stuck with my xl-5 lol