RC Enthusiast

My Stampede 4x4 is slow and doesn't do wheelies any more!

When I bought the truck it would do wheelies and the top speed was around 30mph. Now it runs at less than 15 mph and doesn't do wheelies. I have ran it in water a few times and t seemed to happen after driving in deep water. There isn't a bit water of in the tires. The slipper clutch is tight like it should be. The gear mesh is normal too. What is the problem?? It used to go so fast and do super high wheelies and now nothing. Everything is stock. The battery is new also, so it's not that. It's just so slow now and has almost no power. What's the problem?? I cleaned out the mother with motor cleaner. I practically took the entire truck apart and couldn't find anything dirt or wrong. Did anyone else have this problem and if so how did you fix it? Also it's not in training mode. And I've tried calibrating the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Bearings starting to seize up would be my guess. The bigger one by the slipper/motor mount was my issue.....but it could be any or all of them.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Bearings starting to seize up would be my guess. The bigger one by the slipper/motor mount was my issue.....but it could be any or all of them.
    There is one little plastic circle on the slipper clutch that is torn up. Do you think that's the problem? I dismissed it because it didn't look like a moving part, it just sits there.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephHacker View Post
    There is one little plastic circle on the slipper clutch that is torn up. Do you think that's the problem? I dismissed it because it didn't look like a moving part, it just sits there.
    That plastic piece is all melted into the bearing. a common flaw!

You need to upgrade to the new bearing and aluminum adapter kit

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6893X

You will probably have to force the spring out too. The plastic probably has that seized into the spur gear.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-06-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    That plastic piece is all melted into the bearing. a common flaw!

You need to upgrade to the new bearing and aluminum adapter kit

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6893X

You will probably have to force the spring out too. The plastic probably has that seized into the spur gear.
    Update: the gear looks fine now. Nothing is melted or messed up except for this tiny little plastic band. Also the friction pads look a *little* worn out.

So the blue aluminum piece which would be black plastic on the truck is still there?
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    So the blue aluminum piece which would be black plastic on the truck is still there?
    Yes you are right.

check all these parts to make sure they are all there. If you see the part that might be torn up let me know what the number is.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Be nice if someone else would jump in here that had a bit more experience with this problem. I am doing the best I can, I take it you checked all your drive shafts, mounts and hex pins? Pull your hubs off and check to make sure all your pins and hubs are good. May be stripped or sheared off.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-06-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Be nice if someone else would jump in here that had a bit more experience with this problem. I am doing the best I can, I take it you checked all your drive shafts, mounts and hex pins? Pull your hubs off and check to make sure all your pins and hubs are good. May be stripped or sheared off.
    No parts are missing and there is not damage to any part. As I said, it's going slower now. Not completely stopped. Also it's the 4x4 not 4x4 vxl. Some ideas: maybe it's the motor; or maybe the battery. But there is not visible damage to the truck. It's only about 3 months old.

If you ran it in water, odds are, you have bearings seizing/binding on you. With the motor out, the truck should roll very freely. Would be best to disconnect the axles from teh diffs and spin each tire to see if any of them are dragging on you. If not, then it could be a diff bearing, or the center hub bearing. I'm not sure what the non-brushless motor has in it, bushing or bearings.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Just bumping this again.....

RC Competitor
    Since you have a brushed version (Titan 12T motor) I am betting that your motor is dirty in combination of some dirty bearings.

Clean the motor (see video link below) and see if that helps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjSwWKyLMpU

RC Enthusiast
    The wheels all roll freely and the differential is fine. I'm testing the batteries now to see if they are faulty. I don't think it's the batteries though I have two and they both make the truck go the same speed.

RC Enthusiast
    I am also going to clean the motor much better than before and I will tsee ifthat helps.

If everything is tight and as it should be, i'd be lQQking squarely at the brushed motor, even though you may have cleaned it thoroughly, its probably shot.... may i suggest upgradeing to a brushless(esc&motor) setup when you have the means, you'll be MUCH happier with the results.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Enthusiast
    I cleaned the motor thoroughly but no change. I oiled it too. An odd note: it sounds faster in reverse than when I press forward!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm sure I would be happy with a brush less setup but right now I really want to get to the bottom of this.

I cleaned the motor thoroughly but no change. I oiled it too. An odd note: it sounds faster in reverse than when I press forward!
    Its probably something so simple that it can't be figured out....been there, done that! Go get yourself a good lipo battery and try that...2s 25c 7.4V 5800mah

I do know whatever that plastic circle you said was torn up is not supposed to be torn up. Be nice if you could show that plastic circle.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Its too bad you dont have a spare brushed motor that you know that is good to swap and see.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

If you have a LHS, go buy a new brushed motor. Try it, see if it works. Be careful with it though. Don't scratch it. If its still sluggish you knows its not the motor. You can always take it back for a refund.....I learned this from a guy at work. lol
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the suggestion! I checked the battery voltage after charging and it was 8.9 volts. Is that normal, should it be higher?

RC Enthusiast
    I'll try to get a picture up for you.

Sounding faster in reverse is strange. Could it be a tx issue? I wonder if resetting the remote to factory settings would help at all.

Could just be that the motor is done for as well. They are pretty cheap, so you could grab another and see... Or use this as an excuse to go brushless
    Last edited by czlynx; 09-07-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked the battery voltage after charging and it was 8.9 volts. Is that normal, should it be higher?
    The battery is just about right. It is a 7 cell 8.4 volt nimh correct? 1.2 volts per cell.. I am still curious about the piece of plastic. You said you found that around your slipper clutch shaft. Have you tried tightening the slipper clutch nut all the way down? if you do try this don't punch it just start off gradually.......... Sounding more and more like the motor.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-07-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    How do I reset the remote to factory settings?

RC Enthusiast
    That's what I think. The motor *sounded* faster after I cleaned it but it was not actually faster once I installed it.

RC Qualifier
    If you have a LHS, go buy a new brushed motor. Try it, see if it works. Be careful with it though. Don't scratch it. If its still sluggish you knows its not the motor. You can always take it back for a refund.....I learned this from a guy at work. lol
    Classy move.

RC Enthusiast
    The truck got slower each time I drove it in water. The first time was in my back yard after a big puddle came that was deep as the trucks wheels. The second time was in our street after it flooded. So both times it lost more power but at the time I thought it was unrelated.

RC Competitor
    Personally, I think I would just grab another brushed motor - they are quite cheap. If that works, then you know the issue. If not, then you know what you can eliminate and have a back up motor.

Maybe post a video of it? From full stop to full throttle. We can probably hear if the clutch is slipping
    Last edited by Lemuod; 09-08-2017 at 11:30 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I will try to give you a video.

If he tighten's the nut all the way down on the slipper. Wont this take it out of the equation? Maybe not, I was thinking about my rusty. lol not that familiar with the p4de slipper yet.....
    Last edited by lektro; 09-08-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

How do I reset the remote to factory settings?
    Since it appears you have the XL-5 truck, you should have the TQ 2chan radio, reset as follows...

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTiw5V31ZWQ
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you! I'll try that.