RC Competitor

yes or no upgrade

Well looks like I just cant wait,amazon having a good deal on Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System woundering shude I go whit that or for less money go whit a other brand whit same size.What you info on it I saw some post saying the traxxas has overheating issu.
    What are you running and having no problem.any info will be gread thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by coupman35 View Post
    Well looks like I just cant wait,amazon having a good deal on Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System woundering shude I go whit that or for less money go whit a other brand whit same size.What you info on it I saw some post saying the traxxas has overheating issu.
    What are you running and having no problem.any info will be gread thanks.
    I am going to start off saying that Traxxas makes a great setup, but a lot of people have upgraded from it to a Castle system.

Personally I prefer having a lower kv motor (2200-2650). You will be slower compared to the Velineon on 2 and 3S batteries, but you will run a lot cooler. I would go for a low kv motor and get a 3 or 4S battery to go along with it.

But thats just my $0.02
    "Gone racing"

Its what im currently running in my p4de and it runs like the dickens, both max using 4s lipo, so may i suggest...

ESC - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-EZ...-/271143892179

Motor - https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-4Poles.../dp/B00WQYBAOI

Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    Its what im currently running in my p4de and it runs like the dickens, both max using 4s lipo, so may i suggest...

ESC - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-EZ...-/271143892179

Motor - https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-4Poles.../dp/B00WQYBAOI

How was the fit in your pede and do you need a shaft adapter, fun it all amazon for the two under 100.00$ Canadian that good

The 3660-550 motor dropped right in, the largest you can put in a p4de w/o having to modify the chassis, and i used no shaft adapter, i just dropped in a 5mm pinion straight up and thats that.

Forgot you were in canada, im not aware on how to get these parts from where your at, but at least you know what to lQQk for if your interested if you can find them elsewhere.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Nice How much faster or is it close to the same speed as the Velineon

RC Competitor
    Just did my first lipo run to night got a * 7.4V 5000mAh 25C LIPO it lasted more the my 5500 nh

A LIPO battery produces more of a constant voltage, so you'll enjoy longer run times before it starts to run down vs NiMH which during use, the voltage consistantly drops, so you'll notice the vehicle slowing down little by little as time progresses.

The velineon motor is a 3500kv unit, so it will run faster with a 2s vs the 2600kv motor im using usng the same 2s lipo, but that pretty much depends on how you have it geared to match each others speed, im currently using a 11t pinion, 54t spur and a 3s lipo, it runs just over 30mph, and just over 40mph with a 4s lipo.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Thanks that good info am reading up and getting lot of info I wondering what am going to do. Right now it running pretty good but looking at other set ups

RC Competitor
    Well found your set up on amazon.ca for 140.00$ and the Velineon set up is 180.00$

Saved yourself $40, thats better than nothing.... to bad your not in america, its less than $85 after all is said and done for them both.

One more detail on the ESC, you can either program it through the button thats mated together with the on-off switch or you can do whats easier and quicker with a program card...

link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Xe...-/281135229454
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    From what I understand this motor wood be faster then the 2600kv GoolRC 3650 4Poles 5200KV Brushless Motor am just trying to fiquer thins out

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster v2 ESC and Castle Creations 2650kv motor for the win. Cool as a cucumber. Fast on 2s. Ridiculous on 3s. 4s is insane.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Yep I saw them but 300.00$ no thanks trying to stay under 150.00$

From what I understand this motor wood be faster then the 2600kv GoolRC 3650 4Poles 5200KV Brushless Motor am just trying to fiquer thins out
    I wouldnt recomend going no higher than 3500kv in a heavy vehicle like the p4de, even though castle creations has a 3800kv kit for short coarse 2wd trucks.

The 5200kv you speak of is better suited for road cars, they are lighter and take better advantage of the higher kv rated motors, just hink of it this way... the lower kv, the more torgue(bottom end) you will have, so its perfect for moving heavy vehicles, the higher the kv, the more horsepower(top end) you will have and its best use in road cars because they are lighter.

The reason i went with the goolrc 2600kv motor is because i wanted more torque down below to move the heavy p4de with ease, it still fits within the confines of the chassis w/o modifying, i can use up to a 4s lipo, of which happens to match the esc 4s max lipo use and it runs a little cooler than the higher kv rated motors... i basically took a chance with a low end name brand motor and i've been completely happy with it and im not concerned with top end speeds, i have a 1/10th scale road car for that.

The castle creations 2650kv kit is a monster more suited for even heavier 1/8th scale vehicles.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    how about this combo GoolRC Waterproof 3660 3300KV Brushless Motor w/ 60A ESC Combo Set M5N7

To be honest, their ESCs look kinda cheesy... i've seen them tested on YT, they didnt performed very well, but the motors appear to be of better qaulity like mine.

Your best bet is to get the hobbywing ESC i linked to for starters, then get yourself a good motor of your choosing, if your not sure about the goolrc motors, do some research and go with what feels comfortable to you.

I can only speak of my combo because i've had great success with it...
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    I really like to hear what you have to say it helping me a lot on choosing a combo thanks .There is some much stuff out there and I just don't wont to get something that I will not be happy whit .
    Now a esc you have a 120 A what be the lowes can you go is 60 A ok

The current rating of the ESC needed depends on the motor used... to give you an exmple, the hobbywing esc i recommended is rated at 120a(continous), and the motor i also recommended is rated at 62a(continous), what you want to do is give yourself plenty of overhead when it comes to matching your setup, so dont go by what you think you need, go by what you know you'll need.

As you can see, the 120a rating of the ESC is way higher than the 62a rating of the motor, and thats your overhead, which is a great thing and thats what you want, because the last thing you want to do is strain the esc on a continous basis, its what controls and drives the motor, so find a motor that fits your needs and try to get as much information(specs) so that way it makes things alot more easier on you to properly match your setup.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

I know I would go for the Castle MM2 ESC and 2650kv motor. you cant go wrong. $214 from gonitro on e bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192118333795
    Last edited by lektro; 09-09-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    Quality Build Starts Here....:)

RC Competitor
    Well just got a Hobbywing EZRUN WP SC8 Waterproof 120A Brushless got it for 56.00$ usa plus free shipping .Am going to get a program card also and go for the goolrc 2600kv as well if I don't like it I can get a other one later

RC Competitor
    Try ordering motor from amazon it said will not ship to my address, It was 22.00$ amz.com and 49.00$can amazon .ca crazy

Try ordering motor from amazon it said will not ship to my address, It was 22.00$ amz.com and 49.00$can amazon .ca crazy
    That's a bummer that amazon won't ship to Canada. Guess they get enough money from us here in the USA. I know they have foreign countries in there sellers list. Even China..... I guess that would cause a multi billion dollar a year business to lose a few dollars. SAD indeed

I wonder if Ebay does?
    Quality Build Starts Here....:)

RC Competitor
    The only other I saw was one ebay from china ithat 25 40 day to get here so I may have to get that one.

RC Competitor
    What pinion shude I use whit that combo .Am going to have to order some 5mm pinion.

I just went with a 11t/5mm pinion from "Hot Racing" with my setup... just make sure whatever size pinion you have to get according the shaft size of the motor, it has to be a 32pitch.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Having trouble finding a 5mm 11t 32 pt.Found one on ebay 6.00 ok 23.00$ shipping NO it dump what they like for shipping

RC Competitor
    Parts are starting to come in for my upgrade got my esc ,and the pion gear still waiting for motor

RC Competitor
    Well finally got my motor today after 30 day from china lol and my program card to . I will get on it in the morning . Cant wait to see how it runs

The motor should serve you well... its been great for me so far, although i dont push it very hard, im just keeping the 11t pinion in it for longevity purposes.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Well I got it going forward fast but reverse is slow like 1/4 speed is that normal. Also on the program card I think one place it ask ccw or cw is that mean conther clock wise and clock wise what just I put.

The default setting for the reverse is @ 25%... hence the slowness in reverse, you really dont need to go stupid fast backwards, so leave it be.

You can easily fix the motor rotation w/o the program card... just switch the outer two wires from the ESC, but leave the center wire alone that plugs into the motor.

Use this to help with your ESC settings - http://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/EzRunWPSC8.pdf
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Yep got them info whit my program card .Played whit the truck tonight it runs good it also pretty fast am running a 2s 5000mh.Ita good combo thanks for your help and great info.

RC Competitor
    was wondering can I still use my mah battery whit this esc and do I have to change any settings on it

Yes you can, use the program card to turn off the LVC protection for NiMH battery use, function3-setting1.... just remember to turn it back on, function3-setting6, BEFORE you start using lipos again, or you'll risk damaging them beyond repair.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...