I have very very bad news!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I was driving my sst earlier on this beautiful Sunday, and my brand new metal diff outdrive just snapped off! Yeah, you heard me, my brand new Traxxas Latrax all metal differential outdrive just broke!!!!! I'll post some pics tomorrow. It had hardly bent before it had snapped And, it was the front left side. I was just driving, and I had a small crash with a mini slash, it wasn't even that hard of a crash and the outdrive just snapped! I am very upset and i'm gonna call traxxas tomorrow about it, and mabey they'll send me a new set, and make metal sleeves for them so it won't happen again. If I had simply had metal sleeves, than it wouldn't have happened. I'll probably run to an Ace Hardwear and have them cut a thin copper pipe to use as a sleeve.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    I'll post some pics tomorrow.
    Definitely want to see pictures. Do you have aluminum control arms? Did the control arms remain in place after the collision?
    At least it didn't break due to stripped spider gears.

Yeah, it's good the spider gears didn't strip. I have plastic suspension arms in the front and plastic in the back. I have plastic in the back because they have bearily bent, while the front ones bent so much that the shocks couldn't do their job The outdrive broke in the front, and the suspension arms and everything else is fine! I'll post pics a bit later.

Here are some pics

RC Enthusiast
    interesting.

did you have the stock plastic outdrive sleeves on or nothing when this happened?

Nothing. I just assumed the plastic sleeves would break because, well, they're plastic. Called Traxxas yesterday and the guy there said that it's not a common problem. He also said that there's a carpet track that some of the other guys drive their ssts on and they upgrade all of the electronics and batteries and they've had no problem with the diffs. He said that since they have had no problems with the diffs, they can't do anything about it! Of course this makes sense, because how could you fix a problem that you don't have! Am I right? Well, I told him the answer to this problem. I told him that they should make metal sleeves for the diff outdrives because if I had sleeves on, then the outdrive wouldn't have broke! Now I run a Hobbywing quickrun system and a 2s lipo, so if the some of the traxxas employees have ssts, tetons, rallys, and they upgrade al of the electronics and batteries, then it's most probable that they are running 2s or possibly 3s with brushless systems in and no problems with the diffs So, if they are having no problems with the diffs and don't use sleeves (guy said the sleeves are uneeded and they don't use them) then I have a mismanufactured diff! I'm gonna email them some pictures of it and hopefully they'll send me a new one.

RC Racer
    The driveline on these models are not engineered to withstand brushless setups. The plastic half shafts are the "fuse" in the driveline to fail, preventing damage to the driveline. If there was a slipper clutch, it would alleviate this.

I went to Menards and bought some brass sleeves and so far there are no problems with the diffs