RC Qualifier

TRX-4 or Summit??

I've been thinking about buying a crawler to take with me when I go hiking. I currently take my xmaxx I've had it go as far as 5 miles on one set of battery's and still had time. It's large and just plows over almost everything but there are times locking diffs would help and it does not go crawling slow very well. So I am now trying to find a crawler I don't care about scale look I just want something fun for hiking trails that can get more technical than the xmaxx. Where if it's stuck I just floor it and it jumps its way out haha.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    I've been thinking about buying a crawler to take with me when I go hiking. I currently take my xmaxx I've had it go as far as 5 miles on one set of battery's and still had time. It's large and just plows over almost everything but there are times locking diffs would help and it does not go crawling slow very well. So I am now trying to find a crawler I don't care about scale look I just want something fun for hiking trails that can get more technical than the xmaxx. Where if it's stuck I just floor it and it jumps its way out haha.
    If you are looking for more of a go anywhere vehicle I would say the Summit.

Scale looks I would say the TRX-4.

The TRX-4 is a decent crawler, but wont keep up with the summit once the trail gets a little rough.
    "Gone racing"

Traxxas Employee
    If you don't care about scale looks, the Summit is definitely the truck to have. I don't know of a more capable all-terrain vehicle.

RC Qualifier
    Someone care to explain why this discussion is not allowed here ??? And why it was deleted off the summit forum as well??

RC Qualifier
    Both, buy both of them. I've been running both theses trucks on hikes. Both are very fun to take on hikes. The summit just rolls over everthing do to the size of it. The trx-4 you have to be more selective about how to drive it over terrain. If you get in some rough terrain you get in and have to pack the trucks the summit can get heavy carrying vs carrying the trx-4. Plus remember depending on how long of a hike you are planning on doing the summit takes two batteries where as the trx4 takes one. So extra batteries are always a plus to take along. Overall I think they're both very capable trucks to take on hikes.

RC Qualifier
    I had my xmaxx destroy a spur gear once 2 miles into a hike. Carrying 25-28lb truck 2 miles was not fun at all. That's also a reason I've been wanting to look into a more trail crawler type rig. How many miles would you say you get out of a pack with each truck on a hike? I've gone 5 miles on 9200mah batteries with xmaxx and still ran for 20 min once I got home.

For some moderate hikes where your not on a nicely kept trail and going over decent size rocks and through streams witch would be better? I would love to buy both but I can only do one for the next few months.

RC Competitor
    Im totaly with bike mechanic. I own both and both are awesome. The Summit has more batterie drain because its heavier and has the bigger motor. I use the TRX with 2S 5000mah(LiPo) batteries and they hold up around 6 hours, depending on driving style and terrain.

The TRX-4 will fit in smaller spaces width wise but, nothing in my experience will go the places a Summit can go. Rougher terrain, bigger obstacles, deeper water, you name it.
    I always take my Summit for walks through bush where I live in the Perth hills, Australia. Mainly forest, rock, gravel and dirt with quite a few creek crossings and I've never had to pick it up and carry it.
    Scale trucks just can't go where a Summit can.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    If you don't care about scale looks, the Summit is definitely the truck to have. I don't know of a more capable all-terrain vehicle.
    +1^^

Someone care to explain why this discussion is not allowed here ??? And why it was deleted off the summit forum as well??
    I cannot see why it would not be allowed...both are Traxxas products.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    +1^^

I cannot see why it would not be allowed...both are Traxxas products.
    It is allowed, just in the correct location, which is the Alley.

One thread was removed and one was moved here with a clear redirect left in the original subforum.
    Now all replies from the four threads have been moved here.

So I posted earlier asking this question but for some unknown and unexplained reason it got moved and deleted off the summit forum???

I'm asking opinions from people who own theses rigs what they think is best for hiking trails these are both traxxas products including the xmaxx witch I talked about earlier before it was moved so not sure what I am doing wrong here??

So for some unknown reason my last thread was deleted??? No explanation at all no message nothing?? I'm asking opinions from people who own these rigs and what they think is best choice for hiking trails , I have only mentioned traxxas products so not sure why anything was deleted or moved??? I see plenty of post of none traxxas products and they are never touched? And post about similar questions that again are not deleted or moved? Soo why am I a target ?
    Relax. There's no need for a persecution complex here.
    Please recognize that if you post the same thread in two different subforums, and one is moved and the other is deleted, the correct course of action is not to post the threads again in the same subforums.
    Thanks!
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

The trx4 is a great rig. I donít have it but I have tried it at my LHS and its seems cool. The summit has the size if the xmaxx and I think looks awesome with trenchers. If you still like to go fast a bit get the summit. I personally like the summit or the trx4 itís bigger, faster, more capable and has a large amount of people to back that up. Ether rig you canít really go wrong for what you want to do with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

Being a scale guy, I like the TRX4. It really depends on what kind of running you want to do. If crawling over big stuff and having more speed is your thing, then you want the Summit. The tradeoff is power, the Summit eats two packs at once, and gets a fraction of the run time compared to the TRX4 with just one pack.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    So what's the final decision going to be? Remember theses won't be your last rc's right?

RC Enthusiast
    I’m pretty close to getting TRX-4 (my first RC since the early 80’s) and thought it might be a bit excessive/crazy to start considering a 2nd RC already. Clearly I was wrong.

Now perhaps the question is, which batteries and charger to get to accommodate BOTH these vehicles.

Jdopirak, I’m curious to know what your final decision was too.

RC Racer
    I have both and my summit i use in the Snowy weather or other weather i dont want my other rigs in like trx4 and rc4wd D90 and so on.
    but my vote would be summit first and see how you like it. traxxas website shows out of stock romur is a 2.0 version maybe coming? or if your want it now you could go on ebay or some site like that and get a older model. but TRX4 size wise will fit in more places because of its smaller size. and much lighter in a backpack after you ran out of batteries or incase it brakes down. because life happens with acciedents why i included a broken down senario
    Traxxas 1/10 Summit, TRX4 Tactical
    -Marc Gill

RC Qualifier
    TRX-4. It's cheaper and has solid axles
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    I went TRX-4 myself to start. It’s been great. The Summit is still on my radar though for I feel like less technical driving.

I didn’t think I’d succumb to “the addiction” I read about quite a bit on here. I was wrong.

I wonder if we’ll ever hear back from the OP...
    New TRX-4 owner as of Jan 2018!

RC Enthusiast
    I am debating this as well. I think a big thing to consider is the obvious size difference. The TRX4 can be driven over "smaller rough terrain" and still have a blast on things the Summit would just run right over. Seems to me the Summit really needs some good sized rocks/rough terrain to challenge it, and that's not a bad thing, just saying keep that in mind. Depending on your local terrain it might be easier and more convenient to find crawling/4-wheeling spots with the TRX as it wouldn't need as extreme terrain to test it's capabilities. I will eventually get both....TRX4 will be first...this payday!