Traxxas high current connectors

So the rumor running around is Traxxas no longer has the THCC available. A quick Google search shows most places out of stock. What's the deal with this? Why would Traxxas stop supplying connectors. So what's the next preferred? Deans? XT? I'll
    have to cut all my stuff off and replace with something. Looks like SMC still offers Traxxas connectors. Who's got the scoop on this?
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Wow, I was just looking for basically the same part early this morning and found what I needed here and ordered 5 sets. I use 8mm and 6.5mm Castle cons for batts, ESCs & Caps but still use these THCCs for connecting "external" items like BECs, voltage regulators, LEDs and anything else electrical that I've added on to my rigs. It's a simple way to make the correct connections quickly and easily, at least for what I'm doing.

-Shack

At least they will still sell the connectors.

They are easy enough to solder onto whatever I'm building and won't cause me any grief.

Just a bother for those who don't have a good soldering iron or soldering experience or time.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Still not sure I get the whole idea. I see where their stupid iD thing would get new buyers to lean towards the Traxxas packs and chargers. What I don't get is why do they want to shut out guys like me that bought a trucks(s) before the iD switch. I certainly am not going to start buying iD packs/chargers now but I am perfectly happy with the Traxxas packs I have that have the old style plugs on them. Oh well,I guess I'll grab a few connectors while I can, after those are used up then I'll switch all my stuff over to something else. Still pretty stupid move by Traxxas in my mind.
    FWIW I still think the whole iD thing is stupid. I jumped into this hobby just a few years ago and knew absolutely NOTHING about lipos, their care and charging requirements. It isn't hard to figure out proper charging and care without the stupid proprietary iD plug!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Thanks Razor... very interesting article! It sounds to me like it's probably BS though. The dude who wrote it does not site any sources and it would really make no sense for Traxxas to apply this type of "control technique" to it's battery connector line. Sorry, but this is simply not business-smart and I can't see Traxxas doing it. What about the thousands upon thousands of people who currently have a Traxxas product with the Traxxas proprietary connectors on them? If a customer damages the Traxxas connector on his/her new VXL, do they just have to buy a new ESC because Traxxas won't sell anybody a connector. Nope, don't think so! What about ALL the other countless parts that are made by other companies to replace, or upgrade, a Traxxas-made part? To single-out the battery connector to restrict would be about as logical as them including a 5lb bag of dirt in the box when you buy a new Traxxas rig!

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    At least they will still sell the connectors.

They are easy enough to solder onto whatever I'm building and won't cause me any grief.

Just a bother for those who don't have a good soldering iron or soldering experience or time.
    That's the thing. Will they still sell the connectors. A post on a Facebook group is what got me looking. Someone stated they could no longer find the 3080 connector. So I searched here and Google. Most place came up as unavailable. Here's what the search netted me here on Traxxas website:

https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=3080
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Their 3060 set is still available:

https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=3060

3080 is "out of stock."
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3080

Edit:
    I looked and clicked the links here:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/a...rrentconnector
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-19-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Thanks Razor... very interesting article! It sounds to me like it's probably BS though. The dude who wrote it does not site any sources and it would really make no sense for Traxxas to apply this type of "control technique" to it's battery connector line. Sorry, but this is simply not business-smart and I can't see Traxxas doing it. What about the thousands upon thousands of people who currently have a Traxxas product with the Traxxas proprietary connectors on them? If a customer damages the Traxxas connector on his/her new VXL, do they just have to buy a new ESC because Traxxas won't sell anybody a connector. Nope, don't think so! What about ALL the other countless parts that are made by other companies to replace, or upgrade, a Traxxas-made part? To single-out the battery connector to restrict would be about as logical as them including a 5lb bag of dirt in the box when you buy a new Traxxas rig!

-Shack
    I agree with you but click on the 1st few links...let me know how many you can buy. Maybe it's just the particular part number but strange either way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Trax...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I agree with you but click on the 1st few links...let me know how many you can buy. Maybe it's just the particular part number but strange either way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Trax...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I hear you brother. Maybe the 3080 set, two females, is simply out of stock as Squeegie said and they are waiting on more. I've seen many companies "run out" of parts and so all the vendors downstream don't have them either. The 3060, which is a male and female, seems to be readily available across the net. I guess time will tell what Traxxas is really up to with their connectors!

-Shack

I hear you brother. Maybe the 3080 set, two females, is simply out of stock as Squeegie said and they are waiting on more. I've seen many companies "run out" of parts and so all the vendors downstream don't have them either. The 3060, which is a male and female, seems to be readily available across the net. I guess time will tell what Traxxas is really up to with their connectors!

-Shack
    Agree...time will tell. Just strange it's the female(battery) plug that's all of a sudden "unavailable". The male and combo sets are all still available. Kinda goes along with the link Razor shared. We'll see I guess.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

-Shack
    As I read it, Traxxas is trying to restrict the female connector to battery manufacturers so that customers have to buy Traxxas batteries. I would not be surprised at all if this was true, and the female-side shortage would match what the article claims. The fact that the article was written in May, and we are now starting to see shortages a few months later makes me believe that it is true rather than false.

Guys, I know all of you love your Slash (and Traxxas?), but the reality is that Traxxas is very serious when it comes to their RC market and how they choose to protect/control it. Tower is no longer carrying their kits because of the ongoing lawsuit against Hobbico/Arrma. I wouldn't be surprised if soon you weren't allowed to use the term Arrma on this forum anymore.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 09-19-2017 at 11:52 PM.

EBay has 10 male 10 female traxxas connectors for $10 plus shipping. If you need some meow.

Breaking parts one run at a time

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it is a running upgrade. car manufacturers do it all the time.... old stuff gets phased out, replaced with the new revision....

instead of traxxas making 2 different parts, they only make 1.... makes them more $.. just the same way some parts got a new part designated with an R

RC Enthusiast
    For now Traxxas has the market share to be able to do this BUT, if they get too greedy and start raising the price of batteries and chargers too much it may drive people to other brands, ( those already knee deep with Traxxas products it's cheaper to just buy a soldering iron and a pair of snips) and if your new to the hobby your not brand loyal yet so LHS may push you to another brand for these reasons...

Traxxas has come to the realization that they are the 800lbs gorilla in the RC industry, and wants to become the 1000lbs gorilla. I am betting the next thing to come down the pipe are proprietary ESCs, Rxs and servos that will only work with Traxxas gear. Traxxas is starting to remind me of Packard Bell, they went down this same path, and it ended up driving themselves out of business.

But, I don't think making their connectors proprietary will work to force us to buy Traxxas packs. There are too many of us that remove them as soon as we get our hands on their ESCs, and put on our connector of choice (Deans). Plus, you can buy knock-off Traxxas connectors by the gross, and I can see companies that care little about copyright laws producing adapters. A lot of these knock-off are poorly made and cannot handle the amperage of genuine Traxxas connectors, which may end up with Traxxas having to fend off more lawsuits.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Traxxas has come to the realization that they are the 800lbs gorilla in the RC industry, and wants to become the 1000lbs gorilla. I am betting the next thing to come down the pipe are proprietary ESCs, Rxs and servos that will only work with Traxxas gear. Traxxas is starting to remind me of Packard Bell, they went down this same path, and it ended up driving themselves out of business.

But, I don't think making their connectors proprietary will work to force us to buy Traxxas packs. There are too many of us that remove them as soon as we get our hands on their ESCs, and put on our connector of choice (Deans). Plus, you can buy knock-off Traxxas connectors by the gross, and I can see companies that care little about copyright laws producing adapters. A lot of these knock-off are poorly made and cannot handle the amperage of genuine Traxxas connectors, which may end up with Traxxas having to fend off more lawsuits.

Well said brother! I hope you're not right but you make a very good point. If Traxxas were to go proprietary on those things, I believe they would be digging their own grave as well. We all want to have a CHOICE in the parts we upgrade and if that is removed from the equation, people will start to look more at products other than those from Traxxas... if that's what it takes to maintain the options/flexibility we have come to expect in the RC world. I like Traxxas the way it is and just hope they don't start to get "political" like other companies have. We don't need any of that crap here!

-Shack

Thread moved as it has nothing to do with the Slash 4x4.
    Last edited by nixhex32; 09-21-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

Re-opened......
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

Basically (like many of you have read) Traxxas wants people to be forced to buy their batteries, they already tried to get more people to do this by using the ID stuff, and don't get me wrong, its great technology but I just don't want to pay that high of a price for batteries and chargers just so they can do things I already can do.

So, Traxxas isn't producing their connectors, or at least not letting other companies use them as far as I can tell.
    Maxx
    "Gone racing"

While I don't agree with this strategy, I am glad that Traxxas is open to letting people discuss their opinion on the topic and not just shutting it down.

At a minimum, this lets them hear what their most loyal customers think and gives them an opportunity to express their thoughts. So kudos to Traxxas for letting people provide feedback via the forums.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    so...... bigsquidrc just did a little blurb on this..... well a few days ago I guess..... apparently this topic is spreading like a wildfire

RC Competitor
    Hers my rant as an avid traxxas supporter that is now on the fence about what to do with their products I own.
    Wow, I am very very disappointed in traxxas and this new connector issue. For years I have backed traxxas and bought and still own over 10 of their platforms. They have a very bad name in the rc racing community and we all know why. This definitely will not help any. By now all 25+ of my rc's have the connectors swapped to thcc. I thought these connectors would be around for ages and available to us rc enthusiasts. How times are changing. My lhs just got 12 packages in of 2060,2070,2080. I bought all 36 packages yesterday and was told that was all he was getting and that was straight from his trx rep. Now the question is, sell all connectors ( in months when they are even rarer and 10x the $) and just swap now and be done with thcc connectors. Sell all my traxxas vehicles and be done with traxxas since they are hurting the hard working rc gurus like us who keep the industry alive. Basically in the end they have wasted any money I have spent on connectors, adapters, etc.

Now while we are at it lets talk about the lawsuit on the suspension design they are claiming. That design was out years before traxxas used it. Tamiya to name one has/had used it for years before traxxas decided to. I know traxxas got a patent on it and that keeps them having the rights to it. But who we kidding, they copied it!!!! This unfortunately is what this country has come to. Greediness!!!
    Traxxas knows they have the basher market wrapped up. Rc racing is like 15% of the rc community. Hence why traxxas does not have even one race ready vehicle. Also Hence why the lawsuit to their next biggest competitor making a big splash in the basher market.
    End Rant

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3080 hmmmmmmm this is what i came up with.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by vxlrusty View Post

Now while we are at it lets talk about the lawsuit on the suspension design they are claiming. That design was out years before traxxas used it. Tamiya to name one has/had used it for years before traxxas decided to. I know traxxas got a patent on it and that keeps them having the rights to it. But who we kidding, they copied it!!!! This unfortunately is what this country has come to. Greediness!!!
    Traxxas knows they have the basher market wrapped up. Rc racing is like 15% of the rc community. Hence why traxxas does not have even one race ready vehicle. Also Hence why the lawsuit to their next biggest competitor making a big splash in the basher market.
    End Rant
    To each their opinion, however, have you read the complaint? It's not as if Traxxas somehow persuaded the US Patent Office to issue them a patent of coil-over shock suspension. Sure the concept of lay-down suspension has been out there for years, Traxxas legally obtained a patent for their specific design of it and they feel Hobbico infringed on it. Per the complaint they are suing based upon patent infringements of United States Patent Nos. 7,793,951 B2; 8,982,541 B1; 7,883,099 B2; D567,886 S; 9,061,763 B1; and 9,221,539 B2 (direct link to patent search: http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm). Respectively below:
    1. Integrated Center Point Steering Mechanism for a Model Vehicle.
    2. Protective Enclosure for Model Vehicle.
    3. Vehicle suspension for a model vehicle.
    4. Ornamental design for a vehicle mounted coil spring and shock assembly.
    5. Rotorcraft with integrated light pipe support members.
    6. Rotorcraft with integrated light pipe support members.

You'll easily find the complaint. Some sources have a 20 something page complaint and others have a lengthy 300+ complaint complete with exhibits.

This is just more than a simple big dog going after another big dog. Read the complaint and listen to both sides of the story before you issue judgements. I'm interested to hear the ending of this as well.

It is great that the iD connectors are backwards-compatible with the legacy ones but we'll see how it plays out with having two battery connectors out there. In hindsight one could see the writing on the wall with the legacy connectors as Traxxas moved all their current batteries and ESCs to the iD but through attrition they will disappear. Just a matter of time and we are all caught in the middle as the iD is taking over but the connectors themselves are not for sale (I wish they were for the sake of soldering to batteries with separate lead and balance wires) and the legacy are - for all intents and purposes - gone.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-25-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    The Super Derecho

Lots of misinformation out there. Let's read the available information carefully before jumping to conclusions.

I do think the Nero suspension looks pretty similar to the eRevo.

RC Competitor
    Misinformation and jumping to conclusions. lol I have read and re read the complaint. Yes I and just about everyone understands their is a patent that traxxas aquired and that design had been put for years. They are the ones who filed for it and even then they did not design this part. More like copied and patented it. Say what you want but it's a known fact at this point. Yay or (shame on them) for filling out the paperwork and putting their names on it. Now they can sue any company utilizing that design and try to kill the hobby. I have always loved traxxas and stood by them. I have been in the hobby for 27 years and have seen it all so to say. This thcc one takes the cake. A true rc hobbyist will have multiple brands of rc's and not just traxxas. I don't like to see the hobby getting killed by court cases and lawyers. This hobby is dying fast top be honest and drones are the only thing keeping it alive so to say. I could not sustain my passion for the hobby with just traxxas vehicles. Take it for what it's worth and not arguing here cause we all have opinions. With that I will bring up my dislikes on the xmaxx and how traxxas handles it. I go buy a new 6s xmaxx just to see the esc fail twice in 2 weeks. Yeah it was waranteed and replaced cause traxxas does have great support, not arguing that. Then not long later they come out with a 8s upgraded setup that costs a good amount and want their 6s paper weight back as trade. Rather than just warranty the 6s setup as they know it was not fit and should never came out in that truck. To me that is an exact case of hurry up and get it on the market and we will fix the issues at the buyers cost down the road. Yet again I take it for what it's worth and deal with it. Now the connector issues. One should be able to understand where the frustration comes from as an avid hobbyist. I have protected them for years and never understood why some people had hate for traxxas. I know have opened my eyes and completely understand the frustration from the hobby in general. There eventually comes a point when us adults decide enough is enough and something has to give.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For anyone having MANY of the original, new Traxxas female connectors laying around, what a potential turn of events?

Honest question -- which Tamiya kit uses the same suspension design as the eRevo?

I'm not pro or anti-Traxxas, I buy all brands and products. Fortunately for me I stopped using Traxxas connectors a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by vxlrusty View Post
    Misinformation and jumping to conclusions. lol I have read and re read the complaint. Yes I and just about everyone understands their is a patent that traxxas acquired and that design had been [o]ut for years. They are the ones who filed for it and even then they did not design this part. More like copied and patented it. Say what you want but it's a known fact at this point. Yay or (shame on them) for filling out the paperwork and putting their names on it. Irrelevant in the extreme. A patent or patents was/were applied for and granted. This gives an exclusive right to the invention to the individual (which includes corporations) holding the patent. Now they can sue any company utilizing that design and try to kill the hobby. I wish it were unusual to read this kind of histrionics in discussions about our hobby. Unfortunately it isn't. How the HECK does this "kill" or even harm the hobby? Did the W.S. Deans company's patenting of their Ultra plug "kill the hobby?" No, but the knockoffs of their plug surely hurt the company, now didn't they? The unauthorized products also hurt the consumer by flooding the market with inferior product. I have always loved traxxas and stood by them. I have been in the hobby for 27 years and have seen it all so to say. This thcc one takes the cake. A true rc hobbyist will have multiple brands of rc's and not just traxxas. Ah, now you are claiming to be the arbiter of what a "true rc hobbyist" is. Yes that's a statement, not a question. Below you say we all have opinions.
    Above you claim that only yours is valid. Please make as stand one way or the other.
    I don't like to see the hobby getting killed by court cases and lawyers. It's a business. Businesses MUST protect their interests or they will die more quickly and more surely than you think this hobby will.This hobby is dying fast top be honest and drones are the only thing keeping it alive so to say. I could not sustain my passion for the hobby with just traxxas vehicles. Take it for what it's worth and not arguing here cause we all have opinions. Sir, ANYTHING that is not linked to the internet and a console game controller is declining. It has very little to do with a power connector. ...
    I have protected them for years and never understood why some people had hate for traxxas. I know have opened my eyes and completely understand the frustration from the hobby in general. There eventually comes a point when us adults decide enough is enough and something has to give. Now you seem to be saying that those who don't agree with you are not adults? Did I misconstrue that?
    RTR models will ruin the hobby.
    Brushless motor systems will ruin the hobby.
    LiPo batteries...
    Smartphone integration...
    And now a power connector? Oh my, such hysterics over a good idea... a good idea that you don't even have to accept and that could be easily circumvented.
    There is a veritable alphabet soup of connector names out there, not including the ones bearing the appellation "THCC" or "iD." Pick one or many and move on.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I understand I won't win this battle here on this forum. You obviously will stand by traxxas on the forum you lead. So will traxxas refund me for every connector I have ever purchased for the full price. You say hysterics over a power connector. How about power connectors I spent hard earned money on that are now being discontinued for no reason other than to force you to buy traxxas batteries and chargers. As soon as you get me a refund on all my new and used connectors I will switch hows that. Unless you want to buy them for me. I mean it can be circiumvented by spending more money on other connectors and give traxxas what they want. For me to throw them away and waste money. Lets look at the situation with open eyes and not with traxxas eyes. You say rtr models will kill the hobby. When was the last time traxxas put out a kit to be built and not rtr. And lastly opinions are opinions. Stated that many of times. Don't try to pick apart my words and mis construe them. I understand I am conversating with the admin on here. Obviously I hit some nerves to get the boss to come out and pick apart words typed. It's a losing battle for me cause you will always win on this site. It's your control. But for once put all your love for traxxas out of your head and look at the glass half full and half empty.

RC Champion
    Did Traxxas really discontinue all 1st gen connectors? I never really paid much attention to this as I haven't put on a connector for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

And this is why this thread was closed the first time, and now again.