Thread: Rustler shocks

RC poster

Question Rustler shocks

Just got a rustler and our races will be starting soon. The track is hard packed clay with a few good sized jumps. Not sure on my shock setup for that kind of driving. This is all new to me. I just have the stock suspension setup that came on the rustler. Any suggestions or advice on what needs changed or left alone or modified is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aluminum shock caps are a must have, I wonder if your rustler already came with these? Also, you may want to pick up a bag of springs that are different color/rate...during racing, you could change them out pretty easily to make adjustments.

I would say to run it and see how you like it, and go from there.

May want to move the shocks out a couple holes and get a little heavier oil in there.

Good luck!
    "Gone racing"

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    I would say to run it and see how you like it, and go from there.

May want to move the shocks out a couple holes and get a little heavier oil in there.

Good luck!
    I have 30wt oil in them right now. Which would you recommend? 40? 50?

RC poster
    They're plastic caps

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get both weights and get the auminum caps. If you keep your ride light they'll suffice.

RC poster
    Do I need to get the whole shock setup aluminum or just the caps

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Rustler shocks

Just the caps for starters. The big bore shocks are just aluminum bodied ultras. I have some and they're not worth what I paid. On my Rustler I run GTR's. 60wt. It's heavy and fast though. Racing I don't know if you'd see any benefit, not that you couldn't, I just don't know.

just the caps for now. Later on you can upgrade your shocks to something more high end

RC Enthusiast
    Might want to read the following;

https://traxxas.com/pitpass/hopup/ne...ler%C2%AE-XL-5

RC poster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Is that for the rustler or the rustler vxl? Or both?

I wouldn't get the big bore shocks.. they actually have smaller bores than the stock ultra shocks.

If you're looking to stretch your dollar, I found some really good springs at Ace hardware (spring #155, i think) Put that on the rear (it fits perfectly, and it sets your car down about half an inch off the ground, and has amazing rebound and dampening), and for the front, get a pair of really short stiff springs that fit (I had some rear springs from a tacon soar that I totaled into a car tire at 40mph.... lol)

I use this setup for speed and track. It makes the car great at jumping and cornering because of its low-cg setup.

RC poster
    Alright thanks I'll look into all of this an try different things to figure what works best for me. Thanks again for all the positive input people