Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

New Guy-Who Kinda Doesn't Like Going Fast (Summit Content)

I just bought my 6yo son a Stampede 4x4 XL5 for his b-day and he is loving it. I went above and beyond what my parents ever did (making me wait 3 hours until the batteries were charged, or not having batteries for the remote). It was 100% charged and ready to run when he opened it. This is his (and mine) first decent RC purchase.

We found a great dirt pile to play on and have a local bmx dirt jump track to mess around on too. He is doing really good at driving in the training mode, and has only rolled it over 20-30 times now!! haha. I've already have Proline TSL SX tires mounted on Proline F-11 wheels coming for it (I just think the stock wheels/tires make it look like a Wal-Mart machine). Next will be the J-concepts overtray...man that thing gets dirty inside.

With that being said, I will be honest and admit I am jealous of his Stampede. I do really enjoy watching him play, but am thinking it would be fun if we could both be driving something at the same time. Yesterday was the first time I asked him if I could drive the Stampede for a few minutes. I switched it to sport mode and gave it a whirl. While it was fun going fast, I didn't have nearly as much fun as when we were going slower climbing and crawling over stuff.

It seems like the Summit might be a good fit for a second truck. It isn't that fast but can be a fun crawler and basher. I thought about getting another Stampede as it so far has proven to be a pretty awesome truck, but feel like I would enjoy more off the beaten path/crawling/climbing, not the outright speed. I have read others comment that the Summit might not be a good rig for a beginner, and that is kinda scaring me off as I don't have much free time to work on broken stuff. But I don't know what else would make a good partner to the Stampede. Any suggestions?

New traxxas tr-4. It has al the features of the summit but comes in a stampede sized package (true 1:10), uses only one battery, and should be in the same speed category as a xl5 stampede (maybe a lil slower). Summit = 20mph, stampede xl5 = 30mph, the TRX4 = approximately 15mph. But the Trx-4 does not have the tires and is not really made for jumping and true bashing like the stampede and summit.

I would suggest getting another stampede 4x4 (maybe the faster vxl version?). Mainly cuz the summit doesn't match up with your sons truck size wise nor speed wise (and requires 2 large batteries) and the TRX4 is mainly a crawler/ trail vehicle.
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-29-2017 at 03:41 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    I thought about buying a Summit but glad I did not, I love my Stampede VXL, it's not a crawler but it can go slow and it's really fun to drive.
    One Stampede and one TRX4

I have a summit but recently purchased a stampede 4x4 to keep up with my sons stampede/Grave Digger & Maximum Destruction trucks. These little things can fly and take a beating. Not in the climbing category as the summit, but the 4x4 does ok in the rough stuff. And there's nothing like a stampede for just stupid-fun- bashing.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Except maybe a Slash 4x4 MT = longer chassis Stampede 4x4.
    If you want to stay right with the boy, perhaps the Stampede 4x4 would be a good choice. For me, the Summit would be the winner hands down, even if I wasn’t running its current sensored brushless system.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Enthusiast
    Remember guys..I don't want to go fast right now. I was playing around with the p4de today a bit in the yard...we have a lot of landscaping/retaining walls that is baby head or smaller sized rocks. The p4de struggled with the open diffs crawling around, but it still was fun.

Think I found a local used summit for the right price. I might to that route for now...gotta lock those diffs to have fun I guess!!

At least you have two choices for that now: the Summit and the TRX-4. I don’t own a TRX-4 yet. The Summit has an amazing ability to let you stay in one 50-foot-radius circle and have fun for hours...given the right terrain.

RC Qualifier
    It is very hard to sit back and watch someone else play rc's for sure. For sure you should get something. Just think this most likely will not be your last rc either. There is about 3 rc's that are on my current list to get, I like variety personally. I love my summit, for sure is a good truck, my problem is my boy thinks it's his truck even though he has 3 of his own, lol. The summit is a go any where truck mostly, it's not the best but does for sure do lots of good things.

RC Champion
    I have had Summits for years. All my grand sons have learned with them. starting at age 8 and now ages 8 to 16. The Summit is easier to drive and properly geared it really is not a threat. We now have the Summit 1/16 scale, Slash 4X4 ultimate, some of the La Trax stuff, Wraiths and recently 2 of the TRX4's. by far the vehicle they all want are my Summits. The Summit is almost bullet proof with very little repairs needed. You can gear it down with the pinion gearing and or keep it in training mode. with the high and low gearing and the locking diffs it can really go places the Stampede's can only dream of, making it easier to drive for your kids. The other thing is you can upgrade the Summit to stay up with him as he grows older. He will never out grow it. In my opinion the Summit is the best RTR (ready to Run) vehicle you can buy. enjoy what ever you do.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    That's funny brick57, all the grandsons want your summit's, just like my boy even though he has his own, funny stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    I am liking the idea of a summit more and more. It can go fast enough to have fun in open areas, and will be lots of fun in loose traction conditions. I'm gonna try to tune the p4de diffs to lock up a faster as right now it is a handicap on climbing and crawling.

I found a used one locally that won't break the bank and already has the wheels/tires I want. Even though it is older and I was "wanting" to buy a newer model to avoid some of the headaches of older used models, I might just go for it.

RC Qualifier
    Good luck on they hunt, I'm still loving my summit. It's still stock and will be for some time for me. Haven't regretting buying it yet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I am liking the idea of a summit more and more. It can go fast enough to have fun in open areas, and will be lots of fun in loose traction conditions. I'm gonna try to tune the p4de diffs to lock up a faster as right now it is a handicap on climbing and crawling.

I found a used one locally that won't break the bank and already has the wheels/tires I want. Even though it is older and I was "wanting" to buy a newer model to avoid some of the headaches of older used models, I might just go for it.
    The only draw back to an older Summit is the radio and receiver, go to the Traxxas showroom and look up the Summit and click on the Power up program. You can get a current radio and receiver For $67 or even better get the one with the Bluetooth module for $100.00. the Bluetooth module is really great. there are dozens of settings to better control the vehicle. I love my module on the trx4. When funds become available Ill upgrade my Summits with the $100.00 option. enjoy and let us know what you do.

RC Enthusiast
    ^Thanks for the tip. What don't you like about the old setup vs. new?

RC Racer
    Noir 522 I just sent you a PM.

RC Champion
    ^Thanks for the tip. What don't you like about the old setup vs. new?
    From my memory the Summit has been basically the same vehicle for years. They changed the radio system and offered some different colored bodies. Mine are almost 5 years old and the current models are virtually the same. If some one has a used one in good shape and still runs you will be fine. You may need to lube it up and upgrade the radio but if you get it for the right price it can be a great deal. These things are beasts, and will last for years and years. All the parts are still available and there are mountains of upgrades you can do. Also you can go way back on this forum and look at the vehicles from years ago. Its like fine wine, they just get better with age. Enjoy

I would say go for the TRX-4. Its good for Crawling, but the Summit is also bigger and can probably do a little more then the TRX-4. I've never owned the TRX-4 or the Summit even though they are my Dream trucks.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the insight BRICK57, I see the power up program lets you upgrade the older system for pretty cheap imho.

Traxxas9008, I watched a video of a TRX-4 and summit running around together which really sealed the deal regarding wanting the summit.

RC Enthusiast
    So I had a interesting day of buying summits. I had been going back and forth with a local seller who had a summit and E-Maxx. I only wanted the summit but he insisted on either bundling them or asking a hefty price for the summit. He claimed to only have 10 runs on the summit, but when I finally had a chance to look it over I was curious to know if they were (10) 10-hour runs. She had def been used and the motor was shot. Then he couldn't get the E-maxx to turn left of right, even though it had new servos.

I brought the summit home and he agreed to fix the E-maxx so we could complete the deal. I had a bad feeling about the whole deal and started looking for other buying options. I found another local summit for a great price and ended up buying it. Then returned the summit I previously bought.

Batteries are charging now and I stayed up last night looking everything over and lubing it up. Should be rtr in a few hours.

Sounds like a wise decision.
    You are fortunate to have two used Summits for sale locally. Best of luck with the one you bought.
    Welcome to the club!

RC Qualifier
    That's good you finally got some summits. Let us know how it all turns out.

2 used summit deals? I envy you big city guys. In my areas rc's are rare, I've only seen 2 used summits for sale in the last year. And buying online really kills you with the shipping.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

City types don’t buy Summits too much. Only one on CL near me and I live decently close to a rather major metro center.

RC Enthusiast
    Who you calling city slicker?!?!? Haha

I live in a city of 60k with some small surrounding cities totalling around 90k. Not exactly what I refer to as city folk. But I agree...lucky to have a nice selection. Took my son and daughter to a big pile of dirt we have played on a few times. Its big enough that a large loader drives around on top of it and has lots of dirt features perfect for bashing and steep loose hill climbing

Man that summit is a beast compared to the brushed p4de I bought my son. I def think I will have to pick up another used one soon so everyone can play. Speaking of that, there is another used older summit that has some narrow headlocks and 40 series mudslingers on it. Hmmmmmm

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like thoses summits are working out good for you guys. Funny your now bitten with the summit bug and looking for another one, awesome. I see summits in my local classifieds online here and there. They seem to be listed for some time and see they same ads reappearing. From the looks of it, they are a bit on the high side of asking price.

The last outting we had the summit had no problems going where my trx-4 went mostly. About the only time it couldn't play follow the leader was in tight places.

RC Enthusiast
    Knowing what I know now, we should have just skipped the p4de and went right for the summit. The size and capability just make it seem like an opportunity for more fun. With the TSL Super swampers on it is a just a beast. If nothing else I will need to put some 100/120k weight oil in the front and rear diffs of the p4de to get it to perform a little better on the climbs and such.

I think it will be fun if we had two summits and have the p4de for the wife/daughter to play with then we go on adventures together.

RC Champion
    Yep the Summits seem to be in need of birth control. I started with 1 and ended up with 5. Just had to have one each for the grand kids and then the son in laws and of course I had to have my own. I kept upgrading mine and had the grandkids fooled for years that Grandpa was just older, wiser and of course a much better driver. (sweet revenge for the years of video game abuse). Once they discovered what I had done I upgraded all of them to various levels. I keep telling people the Summit really is a great beginner truck because of what its is capable of. Makes a beginner able to enjoy the truck instead of constantly getting it stuck. Enjoy the experience, it can be quite a ride.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I kept upgrading mine and had the grandkids fooled for years that Grandpa was just older, wiser and of course a much better driver.
    What were some noticeable improvements that allowed your summit to outperform the others? I'm all for upgrades, but I see some of this stuff and know it is stronger and performs better, but what type of an improvement is it?

My first improvements to the used summit we bought was to poke holes in the tires to allow the 5 gallons of water to drain out of them, and I adjusted the battery tabs so the batteries cannot slide all over the place.

Thanks for the insight BRICK57, I see the power up program lets you upgrade the older system for pretty cheap imho.

Traxxas9008, I watched a video of a TRX-4 and summit running around together which really sealed the deal regarding wanting the summit.
    Good Choice! The Summit is one of the Best Trucks out their. Hopefully I'll eventually get one. lol. My Parents want me to focus on school a little more though instead of the Summit.

And I did watch a video of the two, and you can definitely notice that the Summit is more smooth when driving over rocks and bumps and higher speeds unlike the TRX-4, which bounces around like crazy. Its all up to your style. The TRX-4 will definitely do crawling, but the Summit can do way more.
    Last edited by Traxxas9008; 10-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC Champion
    What were some noticeable improvements that allowed your summit to outperform the others? I'm all for upgrades, but I see some of this stuff and know it is stronger and performs better, but what type of an improvement is it?

My first improvements to the used summit we bought was to poke holes in the tires to allow the 5 gallons of water to drain out of them, and I adjusted the battery tabs so the batteries cannot slide all over the place.
    I would upgrade the transmitter and receiver if its not the 2.4. If you can afford the transmitter with the Bluetooth module I love mine on the TRX, I would do the one Servo mod and use the Savox 1230 sg, with alum horn and alum servo saver, it will allow the Summit to turn on a dime. I lowered my stock body, The stock brushed motor is adequate but the Dewalt 14.4 brushed motor is much stronger, or if you can afford it get a brushless exc and motor that is SENSORED. buy some spare parts that you can break like the a arms, drive shafts etc bumper mounts etc. I did not upgrade the drive shafts and axles in that i want them to be the weak link instead of destroying the transmission and diffs. The stock Canyon tires are the best crawler tires I could find, I also have the mud slingers, trenchers etc and they are great for trails. You might also considering gearing down the pinon gear. I think stock is 16 tooth, I have one that has an 11t for crawling and one with 12t and the others are 14t. Just depends on what your doing, bashing or crawling. Be careful gearing up beyond the stock pinion with a brushed motor or you will burn it up. My Brushless setup has an 11t pinion and will run faster than the stock with a 16t pinion, and yet it crawls like melted butter. I will ultimately go all brushless as I can afford them and the old motors burn up. Don't know if you have lipo batteries if not get some 2cell batteries with as high of MAH that you can afford. Your run times will last way longer than the NIMH, and it will give you constant power. most of these upgrades can be found on this forum if you use the search feature. There are lots of other upgrades these are a few of the ones i have done. Enjoy

Gotta agree with the Brick man.

cept I would first go for the lipo batteries. 20 minutes of fun just don't compare to the hour + run time provided by lipo batteries.

the dewalt is a good upgrade, will cost you around $50 - $60 with all the soldering. A used brushless system (sensored) would run about $100 - $150. And would give you even longer run times, more power, and MUCH greater speeds.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Enthusiast
    What advantage does the 2.4ghz radio system provide? The summit came with two Onyx 5kmah lipos but I'm not seeing the run times I thought I would. The seller claimed the batteries were from 2015, ran 5-6 times, and stored correctly for over a year. Thinking some SMC 8kmah might be a future choice.

I bought another used summit last night mostly because it had axial narrows with mud slingers. Man....this thing has been rode hard for a while and poorly maintained. If this is considered "great condition".....I would hate to see what he considers "poor condition". I didn't do a great job looking it over and am finding she needs a lot of love. It's not even my 3rd week into RC stuff and I already have the entire front end torn off the summit two hours after I bought it. Luck is on my side though as I got a lead on some new parts for dirt cheap. I plan to freshen up all the suspension and driveline components. This will be the summit I learn to wrench on.

2.4ghz
    - no 3 foot long antenna
    - no interface from local cab drivers, police scanners or your moms blender.
    - infinite amount of channels (not limited to the 4 color crystal channels) ride with ALL of your friends.
    - eletric motors (like the motor INSIDE the summit) will not interfere with your signal/ control
    - longer range??
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    2.4ghz
    - no 3 foot long [eyeball-seeking spear]
    Fixed that for you.

RC Enthusiast
    Just placed a big order of Summit parts to rebuild the older summit I bought and have spares for both laying around.

I will have a complete new oem front and rear driveline and suspension on the beat up Summit. Plus spare parts for the newer one. All for just a little over $100 I figure that's not bad.

I'm not too impressed with Traxxas hex hubs and amount of slop they have with the interface of the axle. I think I will cut the hex down to allow the use of a fiberlock nut and washer to secure the wheels in place.

I also need to make some plates to mount the summit to so I can work on aligning the suspension correctly after its rebuilt.

RC Qualifier
    Wow look at you go jonshonda. Your place probably looks like a summit dealership lot, lol. Sounds like your diving right into the hobby, it's great uh? I think if you get another summit next week for some reason you defenintly have a rc addiction problem, lol. My summit is boring and stock but it's been very durable.

Just placed a big order of Summit parts to rebuild the older summit I bought and have spares for both laying around.

I will have a complete new oem front and rear driveline and suspension on the beat up Summit. Plus spare parts for the newer one. All for just a little over $100 I figure that's not bad.

I'm not too impressed with Traxxas hex hubs and amount of slop they have with the interface of the axle. I think I will cut the hex down to allow the use of a fiberlock nut and washer to secure the wheels in place.

I also need to make some plates to mount the summit to so I can work on aligning the suspension correctly after its rebuilt.

Man I wish I'd have known you were that serious. I have a back pack full of summit n erevo parts thats taking up a corner in my garage.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    Wow look at you go jonshonda. Your place probably looks like a summit dealership lot, lol. Sounds like your diving right into the hobby, it's great uh? I think if you get another summit next week for some reason you defenintly have a rc addiction problem, lol. My summit is boring and stock but it's been very durable.
    My work bench has a muddy stampede, a muddy summit, and a summit torn apart sitting on it. Driving it tonight confirmed the need for double orange springs in the rear. So I ordered a set for each summit. Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Man I wish I'd have known you were that serious. I have a back pack full of summit n erevo parts thats taking up a corner in my garage.
    Let me know if you want to get rid of anything. I wouldnt have jumped at getting the parts so fast but I was pretty upset with the condition of the summit I bought. It would bug me too much to stare at it and not want drive it in that poor condition.

RC Enthusiast
    Took the Summit to a rock quarry at lunch for first time on larger rocks. Had a lot of fun.

It started not wanting to steer and acting goofy then it just died. Saw the esc was fast flashing green. Did some google-fu and determined the steering servo was bad. Unplugged the one that appeared to be dysfunctional and the esc stopped blinking.

Swapped out a servo from my other summit and we were up and running.

RC Qualifier
    See all thoses spare parts paided off, haha. Still sounds like a good day out playing with the rc's. Just keep doing what your doing, having fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast