RC Racer

Castle 2028, Leopard, or TP power??

Hey folks just as the title says, Im trying to figure out which big block motor to put in my Xmaxx!
    Ive read that Leopard has a new 1050 KV motor that puts out 8000W! and runs on 6s-10s Lipo. (please correct me if im wrong) but With that KV rating being so close to stock, I dont think Id need too much of a gear change? I cant seem to find the Leopard 1340kv motor that seems to be popular among the "big block" convertions.
    The castle 2028 seems to have a good reputation, but I need to make such a drastic gear ratio change due to it being only 800kv.
    All Ive read on the TP motors is what Kershaw says about them on there website. But Kershaw is done and we cant get any more parts from them anyway. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    Does anyone know where to get pinions and spur gears since Kershaw is done?
    Please share your thoughts and experiences. It will help me and I'm sure a bunch of others very much.
    Thank you!

RC Competitor
    https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/mo...-5-combos.html

Here is two options from rc juice. Kerhsaw is out of business so pretty much all that's left is fastlanerc

http://www.fastlanercs.com/x-maxx-upgrades.html

The castle is a torque monster...so you will have to gear up a lot to get high speed. Castle quotes the motor at "10hp range" or 7500 Watts's. The leopard 5692 is quoted at 5500 watts.....I'd guess the stock 1275kv engine is around 4000 watts

The million dollar question is what do you want to do? If top speed is your goal aim for a higher Kv engine with high power. If you just want more power and fun then the torque monster. Castle is fun......

The first upgrade is better batteries..huge improvement in acceleration. I run pro match 6500 and like them....lighter than traxxas and 75c rated.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    Hey folks just as the title says, Im trying to figure out which big block motor to put in my Xmaxx!
    Ive read that Leopard has a new 1050 KV motor that puts out 8000W! and runs on 6s-10s Lipo. (please correct me if im wrong) but With that KV rating being so close to stock, I dont think Id need too much of a gear change? I cant seem to find the Leopard 1340kv motor that seems to be popular among the "big block" convertions.
    The castle 2028 seems to have a good reputation, but I need to make such a drastic gear ratio change due to it being only 800kv.
    All Ive read on the TP motors is what Kershaw says about them on there website. But Kershaw is done and we cant get any more parts from them anyway. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    Does anyone know where to get pinions and spur gears since Kershaw is done?
    Please share your thoughts and experiences. It will help me and I'm sure a bunch of others very much.
    Thank you!
    Go with the TP. I got one in the XMAXX and one in a 1/8" scale truggy. They both run great. The one in the XMAXX is a 6 pole 1440 Kv. I also have the lep 1100kv and the 1340lv. I've yet to have one fail or loose a bearing. I do have a Castle 900Kv 2028, I used it a few times and just put it away. The TP and the Lep's are have ahad zero issues. I would get the TP.
    de oppresso liber

RC Racer

Castle 2028, Leopard, or TP power??

Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    Go with the TP. I got one in the XMAXX and one in a 1/8" scale truggy. They both run great. The one in the XMAXX is a 6 pole 1440 Kv. I also have the lep 1100kv and the 1340lv. I've yet to have one fail or loose a bearing. I do have a Castle 900Kv 2028, I used it a few times and just put it away. The TP and the Lep's are have ahad zero issues. I would get the TP.
    Thanks so much for the reply! The TP you have in your X-Maxx is it the 5860?
    How do you know what kv to get? What specification do you look at to know the "power"of the motor? Do you look at the wattage? It's hard searching for a more powerful motor when you don't understand what all the numbers mean:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pontiacHP; 09-30-2017 at 03:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaXX209 View Post

Here is two options from rc juice. Kerhsaw is out of business so pretty much all that's left is fastlanerc

The castle is a torque monster...so you will have to gear up a lot to get high speed. Castle quotes the motor at "10hp range" or 7500 Watts's. The leopard 5692 is quoted at 5500 watts.....I'd guess the stock 1275kv engine is around 4000 watts

The million dollar question is what do you want to do? If top speed is your goal aim for a higher Kv engine with high power. If you just want more power and fun then the torque monster. Castle is fun......

The first upgrade is better batteries..huge improvement in acceleration. I run pro match 6500 and like them....lighter than traxxas and 75c rated.
    Thanks for the reply! I just bought some SMC True Spec 9200mah 90c 4s lipos. Hopefully those will cut it!

Looks like Fastlane RC is also shut down for surgery now...
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Racer
    Oh no! Jeez the aftermarket people need to step up there game and start making some fifth scale parts!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaXX209 View Post

When I chose a motor for my X-Maxx, I looked at most options and went with Leopard and have been totally impressed. Watts = volts x amps. The Castle's 7500 watts is assumed to be on it's max voltage which is 12S. Most people are not running around on 12S. A very crude calculation puts the Castle at 5000 watts on 8S. The Leopard 5892 puts out 5500, and you can even fit the Leopard 5898 which puts out 6500 watts. Both Leopard motors therefore are pumping out more power on 8S than the Castle.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    Oh no! Jeez the aftermarket people need to step up there game and start making some fifth scale parts!!

What parts are needed? If I knew I could sell them I could run a series but due to the purchase of raw materials It can’t be just a few of each.

Motor. Mounts.

RC Racer
    +1 on the motor mounts. We need more vendors of 8mm-mod1 pinions as well. More options to mount/relocate esc would be helpful. Heatsink and fan options for big motors.
    It seems there are or at least, were only two aftermarket companies that offered major component options..

RC Competitor
    I designed a new mount for moving the ESC up. Works fine for the Max5 esc. Free to download from thingiverse and can be printed on 3dhubs.com if you lack a printer. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2756995

I need to buy a motor to design and mill a mount. Should I go with TP power or Leopard for this? Will they have similar mounting so the design fits both? I haven't made RC vehicle motor mounts before, is there a lot of forces in other directions than the rotational axis? I would need to rely on info from more experienced RC builders to make it but I'll do the first parts at cost price as a fun project. To keep cost down I'm thinking of making it a two part design since they then can be milled from a flat aluminum bar but it depends a lot of how much load there is to be expected in all directions.

Edit: I'll make another thread for this and gauge the interest. Sorry for "hijacking" this thread.

RC Competitor
    I got leopard 5892 and MAX6 ESC. I love it . Espcially on 7s lipo
    On 6s it is already great . On 7s it is amazing and on 8s stuff fails .
    Here is a video on 7s crappy old lipos and lowest motor timing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRaw_p-HIc&t=2s

RC poster
    leopard 5892 1340kv, HW Max5 esc, 2x 4s graphene (8s); have not run it yet though - still building. gearing = 31/54. I do have a 32t pinion just in case.

justin
    Last edited by joostin420; 05-23-2018 at 03:49 PM.

RC poster
    Does anyone know of a heatsink/fan that fits the 5892 motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by joostin420 View Post
    Does anyone know of a heatsink/fan that fits the 5892 motor?
    The caste shroud will fit a 58mm motor. Gotta trim it for the X-Maxx though. I have a 5898. I did this

I had the castle shroud.

RC poster
    Hmmm, I am not using the center rails or battery trays so it may need to be a modified castle 2028 fan.

I bought this skyrc dual fan but it is too long: https://m.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-twin-mo...80671453?txnId

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm, I am not using the center rails or battery trays so it may need to be a modified castle 2028 fan.

I bought this skyrc dual fan but it is too long: https://m.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-twin-mo...80671453?txnId
    Why not use a chassis brace? You just using battery straps?

RC poster
    Heavily modified

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Heavily modified

Links are broken on Tapatalk. Iíll try and check it out later. Id call my power plant heavily modified but I still managed to keep the chassis brace for some extra strength.

RC poster
    I think when you are able to see the pics you will understand why the original chassis brace had no function in the build. I am also in the process of fabricating two carbon fiber shock tower bars for where the center chassis brace used to attach; which are also not needed but will look good anyway.