RC Competitor

Lipo charging questions.

Hi everybody. I have a few questions that I need answered before I go brushless. I am going to be getting a castle sv3 4600kv combo. I was thinking of getting a gen's ace battery pack made for traxxas mini's. Here are my questions:

1. Do all lipo batteries charge from the balance connector, not the actual plug that goes into the esc? If not, then what are the balance plugs used for, and what is the best plug that I should solder on to the battery?

2. What type of charger should I get, and what settings should I set it on? My absolute max budget would be $50 for the charger. And the batter is a 2s 25c, or 50c (whatever I want I guess.)

That should be it, thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    Hi everybody. I have a few questions that I need answered before I go brushless. I am going to be getting a castle sv3 4600kv combo. I was thinking of getting a gen's ace battery pack made for traxxas mini's. Here are my questions:

1. Do all lipo batteries charge from the balance connector, not the actual plug that goes into the esc? If not, then what are the balance plugs used for, and what is the best plug that I should solder on to the battery?

2. What type of charger should I get, and what settings should I set it on? My absolute max budget would be $50 for the charger. And the batter is a 2s 25c, or 50c (whatever I want I guess.)

That should be it, thanks for all your help!
    Hey, to answer your questions...

1. No, they charge through the larger connector, the balance plug is just to make sure the individual cells in the battery are all equally balanced. As for the plug its all a personal preference. Some run Traxxas, Deans, XT90, EC3, its all up to you.

2. Any charger will suit your needs just so long as it has enough juice for the batteries. Hitec makes some nice chargers, might want to check them out. The settings are going to depend on what battery you end up getting. It will give you instructions with the charger on how to charge lipos.

No problem,
    Maxx
    "Gone racing"

RC Competitor
    Thank you for the reply.

So what connector is more common on chargers, deans or xt60? I am only asking because the lipo I am looking at comes with both, and you can choose which one to solder on.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

So what connector is more common on chargers, deans or xt60? I am only asking because the lipo I am looking at comes with both, and you can choose which one to solder on.

Thanks again
    Deans is the most common plug out there.

No problem.
    "Gone racing"

RC Champion
    You can charge through the balance connector, but I would limit that to 1c. Most chargers do require both the balance plug and main plug be connected to balance charge.
    I run traxxas plugs on anything of mine that pulls over 10 amps, and JST/Bec plugs on smaller stuff. I just like how easy Traxxas plugs are to solder, no heatshrink required, and no chance of warping the connector by heating it up to much like with Dean's. I threw out all my Dean's connectors after I destroyed the nose of a foamy (airplane) disconnecting a stubborn Dean's plug....
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    You can charge through the balance connector, but I would limit that to 1c. Most chargers do require both the balance plug and main plug be connected to balance charge.
    I run traxxas plugs on anything of mine that pulls over 10 amps, and JST/Bec plugs on smaller stuff. I just like how easy Traxxas plugs are to solder, no heatshrink required, and no chance of warping the connector by heating it up to much like with Dean's. I threw out all my Dean's connectors after I destroyed the nose of a foamy (airplane) disconnecting a stubborn Dean's plug....
    Thanks for the reply. What charger do you use with the traxxas plugs?

Thanks

RC Champion
    I use an imax b6. I don't worry about what connectors my chargers or batteries come with, I just solder on a new plug when I get them.
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    I use an imax b6. I don't worry about what connectors my chargers or batteries come with, I just solder on a new plug when I get them.
    Ok, thanks. I know that there are many imax b6 clones out there. Could you please send me a link of the real one?

Thanks again for all your help!

RC Champion
    It's tough to tell for sure until you actually get it. Mine isn't actually a genuine one, but it works fine really. The only issue it has is when I look at the screen that shows the voltage of each cell, it doesn't show the right voltage. Like on a 3 cell pack that nearly done charging, the main screen might say pack voltage is 12.1, then I cycle to the screen that shows cell voltage and it will say 4.2, 4.5, 4.7, which is obviously not right, if I disconnect it at that point and check cell voltage it's actually 4.0, 4.1, 4.0, so the voltage is fine, it just shows the wrong voltage on screen....

The best way to tell (though not 100% foolproof) is look at the price. For the DC only version, if it is under $30, it's probably fake. For the AC/DC version if it's much under $60, it's probably not genuine.
    I have the DC only version, and just use a laptop power supply to run it.
    Dacaur