RC Turnbuckle Jr.

3660 can 2600kv gearing choice

So I'm running 13/54 now on my VXL setup. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the GoolRC 3660 2600kv motor. Gotta get a pinion or two since it's a 5mm shaft. I'll be running 3S for a bit then transistion to 4S. I'm thinking of getting 16 tooth or larger due to the lower kv motor. I can run in the low 40's now and bash pretty well. Just want a motor with more gearing options. My pede has Badlands MX28's with Tekno axles and XL-5 gearing. Thanks

RC Racer
    Get a few to try, I run 18t on my CC 2650 which has heaps of speed, but have a 20t to try out one day too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by feral View Post
    Get a few to try, I run 18t on my CC 2650 which has heaps of speed, but have a 20t to try out one day too.
    What batteries are you running?

Keep in mind FERAL's cc 2650kv unit is an 1/8th scale motor, for which the goolrc 2600kv unit is an 1/10th scale motor... so still take care with high pinion tooth counts and always watch your temps.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Racer
    I'm running 3s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    Keep in mind FERAL's cc 2650kv unit is an 1/8th scale motor, for which the goolrc 2600kv unit is an 1/10th scale motor... so still take care with high pinion tooth counts and always watch your temps.
    Thanks for the advice. I have 1/8 2650kv Poseidon in my Rustler. Are you implying I can't gear up in a lower kv motor just because of can size, or just making sure I'm using my IR gun. Just wondering what I can get away with. I'd like more torque. That's why I'm going for this particular motor. I know you have one. What are your thoughts on it compared to the VXL?

Good point that Bige4u made. The GoolRC is a 1200W motor, the Castle 2650Kv is around twice that amount. That means the Castle motor can be geared up way higher than the GoolRC one.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wonder if I should just go 1/8 scale then. I'd like to not rearrange my gear though. I just need a bit more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Wonder if I should just go 1/8 scale then. I'd like to not rearrange my gear though. I just need a bit more power.
    If you go 1/8 scale you will not regret it.
    "Gone racing"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah I know. You're right. I may get the motor since it's dirty cheap and an esc that's good for either(HW SC-8)

The HW SC-8 and goolrc 2600kv combo is just bonkers on 3s, and its completely stupified with a 4s lipo... no regerts.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The HW SC-8 and goolrc 2600kv combo is just bonkers on 3s, and its completely stupified with a 4s lipo... no regerts.
    Thanks. I figured I'd try the motor. It's only 30 bucks anyways. I may get the combo for my son as well. The more I try and run the VXL esc on 3S the more it protests. Little hiccups and things like that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last thing. Anyone running 2200-2650 1/8 scale on 120A ESC or should I go ahead and get the 150A unit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last thing. Anyone running 2200-2650 1/8 scale on 120A ESC or should I go ahead and get the 150A unit.
    I have ran the hobbywing 120a esc with the 2650 castle and China brand 2650 motors with no problems. It was actually my first big motor upgrade when I first started

I am still using my Mamba Max Pro with my 2650. Never had any issues after I added an external BEC to feed my Savox servo sufficiently.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice, thanks guys, good to hear.

RC poster
    Hw sc8 and 2650kv 19t running 3s is great tire shredding fast ... but 4s is too fast to control. (You will try 4s occasionally but 3s is the controllable zone)
    That 120 esc and motor will run cool all day easy, pack after pack 3s or 4s without motor fans on a hot day!

Let us know how the gool kit goes but I recon that combo should be solid.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    +1 - runs super cool too! 4s too much 3s is sweet n speedy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good to hear. I'm gonna go with the 120amp esc. If I don't get the torque from the 3660 can I'll upsize. It's only time and money.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks for the advice. I have 1/8 2650kv Poseidon in my Rustler. Are you implying I can't gear up in a lower kv motor just because of can size, or just making sure I'm using my IR gun. Just wondering what I can get away with. I'd like more torque. That's why I'm going for this particular motor. I know you have one. What are your thoughts on it compared to the VXL?
    Just throw this Poseidon motor in your pede. I have one in my speed slash (that I haven't drove in over 2yrs) and loved how I can run 6s with no issues and temps was lower compared to the cc2200 and cc2660 motors on same gearing lol

You all crazy! Both my p4de run only 4s or higher. Its the only way to go! Whats the point of building them if your not gonna shred with it. Lmbo! 3s haha childs play

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Just throw this Poseidon motor in your pede. I have one in my speed slash (that I haven't drove in over 2yrs) and loved how I can run 6s with no issues and temps was lower compared to the cc2200 and cc2660 motors on same gearing lol
    While that may be what I do in the long run, I'm gonna see what this combo yields my truck. I do agree on the Poseidon motors, I've never once regretted that decision

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I'm getting the HR steel 50 tooth spur and the RR 15 tooth pinion. We'll see how this does

So I'm getting the HR steel 50 tooth spur and the RR 15 tooth pinion. We'll see how this does
    Id stick with the Trx plastic 50t spur. Thats all I use they hold up just as well as steel but are plastic so there is a weak point if needed plus theres less weight/rotational mass with plastic. Less weight to get moving, less weight to slow down, less wear on bearings. Just my .02 on it.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree with the plastic spur. The only time I've chewed one up is forgetting to tighten up the set screw on pinion gear or screw on motor mount. Once those are tight and my gear mesh is right I did t have issues. Thats on 2650 and 2200 motors bashing or even my speed rig

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Okay since 2 of you chimed in. I'm used to steel spurs, but that's in the speed runner. I added 2 plastic 50 tooth spurs and I used the remainder to add the esc program card to the order.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Parts have been ordered. Should be early next week when the transformation occurs. 50 tooth spur 32 pitch, got a couple. 15 tooth RR pinion. 120a hobbywing ezrun esc, programming card, and the GoolRC 2600kv motor. Also ordered a Tbone rear bumper to get the hideous thing off my ride

Sounds good... and as always, make sure to keep an eye on the motor temps, the esc temps should be fine.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds good... and as always, make sure to keep an eye on the motor temps, the esc temps should be fine.
    Yeah I'm hoping I didn't get carried away. The Velineon runs cool on 13/54, so hopefully this is a starting point.
    I ordered a soldering station, XT90 connectors, 4mm bullets, so end of next week I'll be ready to go. The motor is here but that's it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

They sent me a 3mm pinion. Well that won't work. Just getting started. So glad the traxxas wheelie bar is gone. Soldering station will be here and I'll have a pinion by then.