RC Champion

Just did Slash 4x4 slipper conversion and have a question on gearing.

I just did the slipper conversion on my Deegan. I changed to 54t (32p) spur and 16t (32p) pinion. I also put the aluminum bearing adapter, HR racing motor mount, and Slash 4x4 aluminum center shaft. I'm running the stock Titan 550 motor and stock ESC. On 2s lipo. My motor is smoking and seeing 220 for temp. I shut it down right away. My question is. What gearing should I be using? Also. Is there a better option for motor/ESC combos that will allow for lower temps? Thanks in advance.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well the 16t pinion didn't help with a brushed motor. Question is how do you run your car? A brushless system would be better but depends on how your drive and terrain you drive on

RC Champion
    I'm on short grass, street, and class 5 dirt.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Champion
    What pinion would be better?
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrizz1777 View Post
    What pinion would be better?
    If your gonna keep the stock setup I'd go back to stock pinion gear. I know it's slow with that gearing. If you want to run longer and lower temps I'd upgrade to a brushless setup.

RC Champion
    Eventually I'll be going the way of a castle set up but for now I'm staying with the stock can. As for gearing I won't be going with the stock set up as I converted to the Slash slipper and 32 pitch. I will go with a much smaller pinion however.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrizz1777 View Post
    Eventually I'll be going the way of a castle set up but for now I'm staying with the stock can. As for gearing I won't be going with the stock set up as I converted to the Slash slipper and 32 pitch. I will go with a much smaller pinion however.
    Ya I don't know what your stock pinion and spur gear was wasn't it a 48p setup? Most of the stock 32p brushed setup if memory is right was 9/54 maybe 11/54. I do know I have those two in my parts box.

RC Champion
    I'm going to pick up a few smaller pinion. I appreciate your help.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC poster
    I only ran 1 pack with the stock 550 Titan, so I won't be able to say much about it. However, I now run the Castle SCT 3800 with the Slash differential. I left the differential with the 100,000 wt oil that it comes with out of the package. I'm using the 54 tooth (32 pitch) spur and a 13t pinion. After about 20-25 minutes of running the ESC is about 89 degrees and the motor is about 130 degrees on 2S. On 3S (same amount of runtime) the ESC is about 125 degrees and the motor is about 160 degrees.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
    I only ran 1 pack with the stock 550 Titan, so I won't be able to say much about it. However, I now run the Castle SCT 3800 with the Slash differential. I left the differential with the 100,000 wt oil that it comes with out of the package. I'm using the 54 tooth (32 pitch) spur and a 13t pinion. After about 20-25 minutes of running the ESC is about 89 degrees and the motor is about 130 degrees on 2S. On 3S (same amount of runtime) the ESC is about 125 degrees and the motor is about 160 degrees.
    Thank you for the info. I'm going to go down a few teeth.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Qualifier
    The stock spur/pinion ratio in the Fiesta Rally is 83/12=6.92 (48p). Since you have a 54T spur gear now (32p), you need to drop to a 9T pinion (the smallest pinion possible for the LCG chassis, I believe). This will give a ratio of 6.0 which is still a little higher than stock, but should be just fine.

Anyway, I see a brushless system entering your Rally in a not too distant future...

RC Champion
    Thank you for the help. Yes I will be going brushless real quick.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Champion
    Well, I went brushless. I didn't go all out. I just picked up a Traxxas Velenion system.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz