RC poster

LiPo Batteries and Damage

Hello, I was wondering how damaged can batteries get before they are in the danger zone? I run 6s LiPo batteries and sometimes curbs or other structures get in the way. I noticed soft case Venom batteries have metal plates, are those important? I ask this because, in line with curbs sometimes batteries fall out at around 90 Mph and they can slide far. Any ideas on how much of a cell can be eaten away without it catching fire?

I would not run any battery if there is physical damage to the cell. That is waiting for a fire/explosion to happen. I would recommend that you make sure that the battery is secured properly and to look into hard case lipos.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    I would not run any battery if there is physical damage to the cell. That is waiting for a fire/explosion to happen. I would recommend that you make sure that the battery is secured properly and to look into hard case lipos.

-Brett
    Listen to this guy...

The first step is to make sure your batteries are will secured in your RC so that they do not come out in a crash. Second, in a high-impact crash, even if your packs do not come out, you want to remove them and place them somewhere so that they can be monitored for swelling, it make take them a little while to show you that they are unhappy.

Physical damage to packs is REALLY not good. There is only a thin film separating the chemicals in lipos, and if they mix the pack will get energetically unhappy. If the plastic around the case gets damaged put the pack aside and wait to see if the pack is ok. If it doesn't swell, it is likely ok, but you should repair the casing with electrical tape or shrink wrap before using it again.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Listen to this guy...

The first step is to make sure your batteries are will secured in your RC so that they do not come out in a crash. Second, in a high-impact crash, even if your packs do not come out, you want to remove them and place them somewhere so that they can be monitored for swelling, it make take them a little while to show you that they are unhappy.

Physical damage to packs is REALLY not good. There is only a thin film separating the chemicals in lipos, and if they mix the pack will get energetically unhappy. If the plastic around the case gets damaged put the pack aside and wait to see if the pack is ok. If it doesn't swell, it is likely ok, but you should repair the casing with electrical tape or shrink wrap before using it again.
    Yeah, the battery I'm talking about doesn't fit in my car anymore... it swelled about 1/8 inch

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Any damage to the pack, and it needs repaired or thrown out. Any swelling in the lipo is a red flag. Any more than a tiny little bit and the pack should be disposed of...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    has your lipo batteries puffed at all if so put battery in salt water for a couple days to kill it but before you put battery in salt bath discharge the battery as the battery manufactorer recommends for discharging hope this answers your question