RC Racer

Help me decide between hcg and lcg slash 4x4

I just got a used slash 4x4 and love driving it on courses. I woul like at to handle better/faster and do cornerin smoother. I was thinking of trading it on for a newer model with the lcg chassis.

I will be running the car on a concrete floor during the winter and on summer asphalt and gravel/fine gravel short courses in the summer. Iím not much of a basher but I would lile some lught off road racing now and then

So my question is. Would the lcd be a better fit for my needs??

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    LCG is better no matter what the situation. When I switched my TRX trucks to LCG, I was pleased as Punch! You will be too.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    Seems to be the general opinion that lcg is the way to go. I'm just worried about the the jumps since I fear it will bottom out really easily. Especially on the concrete floor now during winter. otherwise everything seems to speak for the lcg version

RC Racer
    Also, if I get the lcg version can I fit the tekno m6 drive shafts on it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the teknos fit fine on the lcg or the hcg

lcg is the way to go... the lcg will bottom out, but that isn't a bad thing, it was designed to do that, that is why the bottom is like a skateboard

Unless you're doing big basher style jumps lcg is the way to go. It is a much better handling package if racing pushes your buttons.
    If big air is your thing, like I do, the hcg is your friend.
    The lcg WILL break its chassis with repeated big air.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by opethrapture View Post
    I just got a used slash 4x4 and love driving it on courses. I woul like at to handle better/faster and do cornerin smoother. I was thinking of trading it on for a newer model with the lcg chassis.

I will be running the car on a concrete floor during the winter and on summer asphalt and gravel/fine gravel short courses in the summer. I’m not much of a basher but I would lile some lught off road racing now and then

So my question is. Would the lcd be a better fit for my needs??
    The LCG will handle better on the concrete, traction roll less on the asphalt, and if you're not a basher, than the LCG is for you.

RC Qualifier
    Instead of trading you could consider buying the LCG conversion kit. That way you can swap between handling and bashing.

RC Racer
    I'm not big on bashing or doing big jumps other than what jumps are set on the course.
    I'm going back and forth between the slash 4x4 vxl rtr and the slash 4x4 platinum version.

If I get the platinum it will be already somewhat upgraded. But I would have to get a controller also which would bring up the total cost to 650 euros. I also don't like that the center driveshaft is completely exposed. I can only imagine how much sand and small rocks will get in there and mess things up. Are my concerns for the exposed driveshaft valid?

The standard slash model would include controller and tsm which would be great for a beginner like me. Also it would be 100 euros cheaper but with none of the goodies that come with the platinum.

I'm leaning more towards the standard 4x4 modell for now just because it's cheaper and has the driveshaft cover. But I just can't seem to make up my mind on which one to get
    I
    Last edited by opethrapture; 10-09-2017 at 10:54 AM.

If you're like most of us, future upgrades are something you will probably begin to consider after you have been driving your new rig around for a while. Starting with the Platinum, or Ultimate, might just be your best bet if you can afford the initial investment cost. For what you get in the box, the Ultimate is probably the most cost-effective. I have several Platinum editions but I already had the controller so it was the the way to go for me. If cost is a factor you cannot overcome, going with something like Model# 68086-4 is not a bad idea... at all. You can always "upgrade" as you break things or just want a better part. To get all the things that the Ultimate edition already includes that actually make a difference in performance, it will cost you a lot more when bought individually. And don't forget that you still need a battery and charger no matter which way you go.

As far as the "exposed driveshaft", that is non-issue for 99% of us. If you were going to be driving on terrain with lots of little rocks and pebbles, you can add the DS cover for like $5 I think. You might just add a Dusty's Motors or something like it to keep most debris out. Otherwise, don't worry about it. As long as you keep your gears (pinion/spur) covered, which they will be on any new Slash you buy, I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

-Shack

RC Racer
    So can I get a driveshaft cover for this model, did I understand you correctly?
    The ultimate verion is close to 800 euros so that is definitely out of the question.

It's between the standard 4x4 vxl tsm or platinum edition

I've seen a few pics of them but perhaps another forum member can correctly answer that. Just curious... might I ask why the driveshaft cover is crucial for you?

I'm not sure where you are but I have a friend who lives in the Netherlands and he purchased an XO-1 a while back. I remember him telling me that he got a "great deal" because of the exchange rate. Since you mention Euros, let's do the some math.

Ultimate Edition can be had for $589 + shipping or about 575 Euros.

Standard RTR is about $400 + shipping or about 400 Euros.

I just recommend you get the best that you can up-front because it is cheaper than adding the parts later on!

-Shack

RC Racer
    That does indeed sound like an awesome deal and would happily pay that for the ultimate version. Do you know where he got it from? I’m in Finland and here we have to pay 22% tax on anything worth over 150 dollars imported.

If the total purchase amount is over that, let’s say 585 dollars plus shipping there would be additional import fees + taxes and I would still end up at roughly 700+ euros for the ultimate version and that I just too much for me at this point.

This is the only place where the ultimate version is in stock here in Finland:
    https://www.eurorc.com/product/14353...a?currency=USD

939 dollars. OUCH!!

The reason I’m worried about the driveshaft is that on my previous slash I kept running into problems with sand and rocks finding their way between the pinion and spur gear. I'm guessing that this was due to the drive shaft cover leaving the top end of the slipper clutch exposed??

This is just guesswork but I never had similar problems with the stampede where the shaft is totally covered.

I'm going to try and see if I can find the ultimate edition cheaper from inside europe. Cause as you mentioned I would like to get most bang for my bucks
    Last edited by opethrapture; 10-09-2017 at 08:28 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Help me decide between hcg and lcg slash 4x4

That does indeed sound like an awesome deal and would happily pay that for the ultimate version. Do you know where he got it from? Iím in Finland and here we have to pay 22% tax on anything worth over 150 dollars imported.

If the total purchase amount is over that, letís say 585 dollars plus shipping there would be additional import fees + taxes and I would still end up at roughly 700+ euros for the ultimate version and that I just too much for me at this point.

This is the only place where the ultimate version is in stock here in Finland:
    https://www.eurorc.com/product/14353...a?currency=USD

939 dollars. OUCH!!

The reason Iím worried about the driveshaft is that on my previous slash I kept running into problems with sand and rocks finding their way between the pinion and spur gear. I'm guessing that this was due to the drive shaft cover leaving the top end of the slipper clutch exposed??

This is just guesswork but I never had similar problems with the stampede where the shaft is totally covered.

I'm going to try and see if I can find the ultimate edition cheaper from inside europe. Cause as you mentioned I would like to get most bang for my bucks
    If your referring to the center shaft on the lcg there's no need for a cover. Since the shaft is up higher from the chassis. Think of the hog or the stampede where the shaft runs through the chassis. Now imagine the shaft staying at same height but drop the chassis down. I'll send a pic of where the shaft runs

Don't mind the motor mount it was a working piece 2 yrs ago lol

The reason I’m worried about the driveshaft is that on my previous slash I kept running into problems with sand and rocks finding their way between the pinion and spur gear. I'm guessing that this was due to the drive shaft cover leaving the top end of the slipper clutch exposed??
    Did you see my replies on your other thread (posts 14 & 15)? The section that is open is where you get access to your slipper nut to adjust it. The gears are NOT exposed.

See page 24 in the manual:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R01.pdf

I do not have a HCG chassis, but the part from The Toyz that I linked yesterday should be the cure for your problem...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6412966
    Last edited by Squeegie; 10-09-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Ok, I see now why my my fear of driving without a driveshaft cover is unwarranted. And yes I saw your posts in the other thread squeegie, thanks for that.

I have been looking around shops both in Finland and the rest of the EU and seems like the ultimate edition will run me atleast 750 euros. The Platinum about 550 + I need to get a transmitter and reciver.

I was offered the basic 4x4 vxl tsm slash for 450 which is considerably less than the other two. If money was of no concern I would definitely get the ultimate edition but seeing as it's 300 euros more I just can't afford it. I appriciate all the help and advice guys!!

NP... it's what we like to do! Which model to get is often dictated by budget. You will love the 4x4 LCG Slash... doesn't matter the model! I would be happy with any Slash to be honest. All of them will provide hours of fun! Since you're already acquainted with the RC world, you know to at least order a set of spare a-arms with your Slash. Pretty sure it was the first thing that my son & I broke! Keep us posted.

-Shack

RC Racer
    , it took some money out of my saving and got the platinum edition

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-13-2017 at 06:43 PM.

RC Racer
    Aaaargh. I just got home with my slash and noticed the different batter hold down on this modell. None of my batteries are gonna fit. Is there any way I can get a 8,4v 5000mah battery installed on this???

Great choice... you'll love it! What kind of battery is it? Is it too tall? If that's the case, a temporary fix is some velcro strips. Depending on the size of your battery, you might need something like this. I'm sure you're itching to drive it!

Give us some pics!

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Great choice... you'll love it! What kind of battery is it? Is it too tall? If that's the case, a temporary fix is some velcro strips. Depending on the size of your battery, you might need something like this. I'm sure you're itching to drive it!

Give us some pics!

-Shack
    Hmm I too wonder why his battery won't work. But being it's a 5000mah and a 2s lipos I can't see it being to tall. I have straps on all the lcg chassis I have even the hog and the pede chassis uses them.
    OP how about a pic of the problem?

He said 8.4V. That is a 5 cell hump NiHm battery like these:

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=2961X

If it's a Traxxas "hump" battery, that would be the issue! I don't think he mentioned the brand and since many other NiHm batteries should fit, you probably nailed it! Perhaps he needs something like this. Or just get a 2-3 cell lipo.

-Shack

RC Racer
    Yeah, it's hump batteries that I have. I was so dissapointed when I noticed this because I was more than eager to try out my new slash. I even called all the local stores to see if they would have any 2 or 3 s lipos in stock but no luck. I am however getting 2 lipo batteries this afternoon so I just have to wait till I get off work and then I'm heading for the track in a heartbeat

The lcg was alot lower than I had imagined and I can see how this would handle much better in tight corners and be more stable than the hcg version. Although the initial investment in the ultimate model felt expensive I think I saved some money in the long rung since I would be updating the car with better parts eventually. Feels good to know that I have some premium upgrades already installed

Should I do any initial adjustments to the stock setup since I will be running the car on hard flat pavement/conrete?

Could I fit the stock tires of the old slash onto this one since the ones that came with the platinum seem to be better suited for offroad? I'm running on hard concrete today and will probably end up getting some mini pins at some point.
    Last edited by opethrapture; 10-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.

RC Champion
    Go LCG. You won't regret it. Even if you like to bash and jump, it always (99%) lands on it's wheel. I love it, even after owning a HCG MT Slash.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    I must say. I’m very impressed by how the lcg handles compared to the hcg. So much netter cornering and the overall stability is just awesome. Definitely made the right decision. As soon as the rain stops I will do some testruns outdoors

Congrats and have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    I would highly recommend you get the Sway Bar Kit (TRA6898) for your pavement runs. It makes a noticeable difference for my 1/10 Fiesta Rally (Slash with Telluride arms). I'd probably disconnect the links or completely remove the whole kit if and when I was running on bumpy terrain, but for the rough parking lots that I run on it's great.

RC Racer
    SInce I got the ultimate model the sway bars came pre installed

I know that I'm extremely late to the party. Let me add my $0.02. I will never have another HCG chassis Slash 4x4! I bought my first Slash 4x4 in January 2010. When I bought my first LCG Ultimate Edition it changed the game for me! The performance benefits on and off road are just amazing.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!