RC Competitor

How do I install this winch?

TLDR: How did you install a winch onto the stock front bumper?

I bought this TFL winch and want to install it on the TRX-4 front bumper. I've obviously removed the dummy winch and cut off the plastic wire guide. I haven't drilled screw holes into the bumper yet.
    bottom view:

Installing the screws from above the base plate, the winch itself is in the way; and if I remove the winch from the base plate to screw just that onto the bumper, then I can't screw the winch onto the base plate anymore. Clearly, the screws would go into the base plate from below.

The problem:
    The base plate mounting holes align nicely with the vertical reinforcements inside the bumper, and even if they didn't (or if I'd mount the winch off-center), I still don't know how to get the screws in place, let alone how to get a screwdriver to the screws. Using glue or cable ties is not going to work.

Any tips would be immensely appreciated!

RC Racer
    The base plate is indeed screwed onto the bumper from the underside. (As you can see, the holes of the bottom plate are threaded).

Use the base plate as a template, choose/find the desired mounting location for your winch, and mark the holes of where the winch is mounted to the plate.
    Drill those, and screw the winch directly to the bumper, without the plate.

You could probably also use RC4WD universal mounting plate to mount your winch to, but it isn't necessary on your stock bumper (plastic drills easy )

Indeed, the base plate mounting holes are almost dead center onto the bumper mounts on the TRX-4.
    If you buy an aftermarket bumper which has the support running under the bumper, you'll have the same issues. Some bumpers don't extend their mount to the front of the bumper, which gives you enough space to mount the base plate normally.

I'm waiting on the RC4WD mounting plates to mount my Warn 8274 to my aftermarket bumper. This one has those bumper supports in the way. It does have 4 holes pre-drilled, which should fit the RC4WD plate perfectly.
    P4de, G.D., K.Block, K. Busch, Summit, ERBE, TRX-4

RC Competitor
    Thank you degake. I understand that i could screw into the baseplate from below, or without the baseplate directly into the winch. But the trouble is that I can't do either from below because of the way the bumper itself is made -- so what you're saying is that I'm out of luck with the stock bumper?

RC Racer
    Can you post a picture of the underside of the stock bumper?
    I have replaced mine from the first minute, so never paid attention to the mouldings...
    P4de, G.D., K.Block, K. Busch, Summit, ERBE, TRX-4

I had to bolt my RC4WD Warn CTI 9.5 winch directly to the bumper with no mounting plate, it was a tight fit, but it works. If your winch is too wide for that you could modify the baseplate, drilling at tapping holes closer to the center. Or, making another baseplate with wider baseplate holes.

That is a nice think baseplate on that winch, I would mark out the centerline, drill and tape two 3mm holes 1/4" - 1/2" apart on the back side (truck side) and call it good. The two 1.5mm screws are more than enough to secure the winch down and provide enough strength for pulling, two 3mm screws is insurance and overkill. Just make sure the screws are not too long.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

You could possibly get longer screws that hold the plate to the winch and use them to go thru the bumper then the plate and into the winch.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    You could possibly get longer screws that hold the plate to the winch and use them to go thru the bumper then the plate and into the winch.
    If it will work, I second ^^^^ this idea.

RC Competitor
    Wonderful ideas, thank you so much!

I will post bumper photos (tonight/tomorrow) for reference. I like the idea of using longer screws, or drilling new holes -- why didn't I think of that? :-)

RC Competitor
    Here are photos of the bumper:

Quote Originally Posted by torbengb View Post
    Wonderful ideas, thank you so much!

I will post bumper photos (tonight/tomorrow) for reference. I like the idea of using longer screws, or drilling new holes -- why didn't I think of that? :-)
    This is why the forums are here.

I am still a little disappointed that Traxxas didn't include mounting holes for a winch in the bumper. Or, at least leave enough room for most standard bumpers that we available.

This is mine mounted directly to the bumper. It is a RC4WD Warn CTi winch with an upgraded motor.

TRX4 mods by Scott O, on Flickr

RC Competitor
    @Greatscott - I have the same tires, just waiting for steel rims - why did you choose those?
    Looked at your Flickr - your gas can magnet is bloody brilliant! I'm stealing that right now.
    Can you show a pic of how you mounted the Warn CTI to the bumper?

RC Competitor
    @Greatscott, you rock! I removed the base plate and used the two rear screws only. It seems to work fine and it sits there rock-solidly!

I continued working on the truck after this first success: first, I flipped the bumper-holder upside down to gain ~8mm clearance under the bumper:

With body - before:

With body - after:

With bumper - after:

Side view:

------

Second, I added DIY rear lights and headlights. Everything is soldered and the rear lights are in place. The headlights aren't mounted yet because I didn't want to start taking the wheel wells apart just before bedtime.

And I have a very special idea in mind that will provide power to the lights without ever having to plug and unplug a wire! No, it's not simply a longer wire :-) and it involves the front body posts. Story follows later!

Great work!!! I was away from home all day, so I never got chance to take an under-shot of the bumper, you still want it?

RC Competitor
    No thanks, I'm fine now that I've managed to install it :-)
    I'm so excited about that success, and about the new lights!! :-)