Thread: Newbie Question

RC poster

Newbie Question

I bought a used Traxxas Slash (completely stock) for my son about a month ago. A friend of mine heard of our recent hobby and said he had an RC car given to him that he never used because it had no battery. I'm trying to get it going, it's a Traxxas Slash. It has a brushless Novak 10.5 motor. I don't have any Lipo batteries, I just have NiMH. So I tried a NiMH battery and it doesn't seem to power on (once it powered on, but seemed to power down within 5 seconds). Do I need a LIPO battery? I noticed the plug is a dean plug. I have some adapters that came with one of my batteries and was using that. Could that be the problem? Any insight would be appreciated.

RC Enthusiast
    Make sure your lvc low voltage cutoff is not on. I would definitely recommend getting a lipo battery but it should run off the nimh battery.

Hello, and Welcome to the Forums.

I have to say right of from the start, I don't know what the Brushless Novak 10.5 motor is. I have never ran it. But, make sure that the Low Voltage is off. This might be the reason because Lipos carry a lot more power, but can only go down to a certain voltage until they are dangerous to run. So if you have a Lipo, always drive with the Low Voltage setting ON.

Now, the Novak 10.5 motor might not have a way to turn that on or off. In other words, you might need a programming card to change the low voltage off.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh, and is the Brushless Novak 10.5 motor including a ESC? Or is the ESC stock?
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input!

I think this is the exact motor and speed control that it has. I already unscrewed the fan, to do the adjustment do I unscrew the purple piece? (sorry very new to all this, but willing to learn)

http://www.thercshack.com/browseprod...BL-System.html
    Last edited by toprank; 10-13-2017 at 10:44 AM.

RC poster
    I had the same problem a few years ago when I upgrade my rustler to a mamba max pro. It wouldn't run with the seven cell nimh, couldn't get it working at all...ended buying a few venom 4000 mah lipos. I've had them for 2 years and counting. I can get about an hour of bashing from a single charge. They are not too expensive, around $35 on ebay. Not sure how the novak systems work, so I can't help you with that...If you do go lipo, try that venoms. I think they're a great battery.

Hustle Like Rustle

Don't worry, I was the exact same way. But I'm glad you are willing to learn.

From what I can see, I can't find a manual or video of this system to check how to change it. I would wait a while to see if somebody owns one to help you, but if you can't figure out how to change the low voltage setting, then I would consider selling it for $150 and buying a GoolRC Brushless System on Amazon for $45. I just bought one with a 2s and it works marvelous.
    If you have any other questions, Don't be afraid to ask. We are all here to help.
    Sorry my answer wasn't to helpful.
    Traxxas9008
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Cant sell it if its not running. Contact Novak customer service... Or check their website for a manual pdf... Should be troubleshooting/programming infi there....
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...