Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle xlx esc

RC Racer

Castle xlx esc

I'm hearing that castle released a firmware update that unleashes the total power of the xlx esc....can anyone confirm this???

That's a negative. Without a doubt, if you are using your XLX for speed runs, you need to use v1.82... at least for now.

"From the firmware revision history here it kind of eludes to why the new firmware (2.02) was not working well.
    The engineers made changes to the firmware to have it run at low speed better for the rock crawling guys (they didnít mention to anyone in tech that this would affect the high speed guys). After speaking with them last week they will be attempting to tweak the software more so it works across the board. For now I would stick with the 1.82 firmware."

"Basically they tuned the 2.02 firmware for the crawlers and overlooked the fact that it wouldnít be used solely for that (just like they did with the original firmware that had too much ripple limiting). They were focused on the rock crawler guys at that moment and getting throttle resolution up, low speed capability, etc."

This is direct from Castle within the last 3 weeks.

-Shack

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=shack351;6414014]That's a negative. Without a doubt, if you are using your XLX for speed runs, you need to use v1.82... at least for now.

"From the firmware revision history here it kind of eludes to why the new firmware (2.02) was not working well.
    The engineers made changes to the firmware to have it run at low speed better for the rock crawling guys (they didnít mention to anyone in tech that this would affect the high speed guys). After speaking with them last week they will be attempting to tweak the software more so it works across the board. For now I would stick with the 1.82 firmware."

I second this ^^^^^^^^^ i ran with the 2.02 ran 113mph then went to the 1.82 and ran 124mph.

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=Speed freak #1;6414073]
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    That's a negative. Without a doubt, if you are using your XLX for speed runs, you need to use v1.82... at least for now.

I second this ^^^^^^^^^ i ran with the 2.02 ran 113mph then went to the 1.82 and ran 124mph.
    So is the firmware downgradeable? I believe I'm at a firmware higher than 1.82 I believe...these are suppose to be the King Kong of castle esc's why is it giving us these issues smh

Yes, you can easily "downgrade" the version. Just connect Castle Link, select the version you want and update. I had nothing but trouble with V2.02 and moved back to 1.82. My Castle contact said they are working on another update but to be honest, V1.82 has worked great for me so far and produced some nice results.

I don't think there are any major "issues" with the XLX on V1.82. I know of other members using this version as well and have no problems. I do agree though, we are being basically forced to use the older firmware that does not have any of the updates/bug fixes that V2.02 has. Hopefully they will release a version for us speed guys in the near future that has some of the newer features.

-Shack

RC Racer
    Yes, you can easily "downgrade" the version. Just connect Castle Link, select the version you want and update. I had nothing but trouble with V2.02 and moved back to 1.82. My Castle contact said they are working on another update but to be honest, V1.82 has worked great for me so far and produced some nice results.

I don't think there are any major "issues" with the XLX on V1.82. I know of other members using this version as well and have no problems. I do agree though, we are being basically forced to use the older firmware that does not have any of the updates/bug fixes that V2.02 has. Hopefully they will release a version for us speed guys in the near future that has some of the newer features.

-Shack
    It's crazy because a guy at my lhs is using an xl2 and swears by it! I've never had it so I can't compare it! But I've had success with the xlx but I've been told the power has been limited even though I link up my castle link...hopefully something is done soon

It seems like a persons success with V2.02, at least to a degree, depends on what motor and cell count they're running. If I was you, I would run V2.02 just to try it. I am about to start on another speed rig and have an XLX & CC 2200Kv sitting on the shelf that I'll be using. I have not tried V2.02 on the 2200 yet so I'll be giving it a shot. It does not work worth a crap on an 800Kv (2028) motor, that's for sure.

-Shack

RC Racer
    It seems like a persons success with V2.02, at least to a degree, depends on what motor and cell count they're running. If I was you, I would run V2.02 just to try it. I am about to start on another speed rig and have an XLX & CC 2200Kv sitting on the shelf that I'll be using. I have not tried V2.02 on the 2200 yet so I'll be giving it a shot. It does not work worth a crap on an 800Kv (2028) motor, that's for sure.

-Shack
    I have a 800kv motor waiting for a project but I need POWER!!!!! I hope the update works for me I really do

RC Champion
    Xlx is just as good or better if you ask me. i use firmware 1.78 on mine .. all the power you can ask for.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo-15 View Post
    I have a 800kv motor waiting for a project but I need POWER!!!!! I hope the update works for me I really do
    I have used V1.82 for a few months now on my 800Kv and power is not an issue... at all!You can be going 60-70mph or so, give it a full throttle squeeze and it will pop a wheelie and flip. My log files indicate a max of 11.6HP. Bottom line is this... if you are going to run a CC 800Kv, or the like, the XLX will give it all she needs! Your biggest problem will be trying to get traction and keeping your rig from earning you any frequent flyer miles!

Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    Xlx is just as good or better if you ask me. i use firmware 1.78 on mine .. all the power you can ask for.
    I know you've had good results with your XLX & TPP setups! I've seen your videos. I think I'm gonna load up 1.78 tonight and see what it does tomorrow.

-Shack

RC Racer
    I have used V1.82 for a few months now on my 800Kv and power is not an issue... at all!You can be going 60-70mph or so, give it a full throttle squeeze and it will pop a wheelie and flip. My log files indicate a max of 11.6HP. Bottom line is this... if you are going to run a CC 800Kv, or the like, the XLX will give it all she needs! Your biggest problem will be trying to get traction and keeping your rig from earning you any frequent flyer miles!

I know you've had good results with your XLX & TPP setups! I've seen your videos. I think I'm gonna load up 1.78 tonight and see what it does tomorrow.

-Shack
    Put up the link to your video of the 1.78 run and let us know what you think between the two firmwares. ......
    Last edited by Speed freak #1; 10-18-2017 at 04:12 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

-Shack
    So I don't run the XLX, I run the MMX and 1.82 was the cause of my motor start failures. When I upgraded to 2.02 they went away. Wonder what gives, of course I'm on a max of 6S with a 2650kv so not quite apples to apples

Interesting! The reason V2.02 would not work for me was because of motor start failures. That was on the 2028. Like I mentioned above, I think the usability of the firmware depends on your particular motor/esc. I have V2.02 on my MMXs with 2200/2650s and it works great.

Castle knows about the problem. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next release.

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Interesting! The reason V2.02 would not work for me was because of motor start failures. That was on the 2028. Like I mentioned above, I think the usability of the firmware depends on your particular motor/esc. I have V2.02 on my MMXs with 2200/2650s and it works great.

Castle knows about the problem. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next release.

-Shack
    Motor start failures cost me a lot of money in diff, axles, tires, etc. wonder if they're up for some reimbursement

RC Qualifier
    I run 2 with v2.02 no crazy numbers but have reached in the 130+ mph
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Motor start failures cost me a lot of money in diff, axles, tires, etc. wonder if they're up for some reimbursement
    LOL! I hear you. Slipper shafts, rings, spiders... they don't respond too well to sudden, extreme power. In some cases, my parts went from brand new to the trash can in a few seconds!

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by Miltdoggie View Post
    I run 2 with v2.02 no crazy numbers but have reached in the 130+ mph
    Hey Milt,

Is that with your 8S on 2200Kv setup?

-Shack

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    Hey Phildogg , i am going to give that a try soon what i did notice is more coging taking off no runs yet

Castle xlx esc

-Shack
    Any success with the 1.78. I have the XLX esc running 6s lipo, newly added TPP motor 4070-CM 2200kv. My gearing is 25t pinion, 36t spur. previously with the origional Mamba Monster and a Traxxas 2200kv motor on a single 6s lipo i got to 101mph. With the XLX installed i got the saga custom rc battery trays and running my two 6s lipos in parallel. The max speed i seam to get is about 80mph. Somethings not right here. I am currently fighting issues with the Traxxas TSM receiver running the XO-1 profile. Any throttle input past 50% the power to the motor gets cut off, i still have brakes, and wont go any fruther on the throttle. The light on the receiver is flashing red and green. Tried a brand new reveiver and same results, but I loaded a different vehicle's profile on it for the fun of experimantation, and using the 4-Tec Ford GT everything works fine, goes to full throttle no problem. Back to the speed runs still only getting 80-81mph. IS my gearing too steep? The castle link data logging only shows ~24,000 rpm. The motor has a limit of 75,000. Its no where close to even half its limit. I know this is a lot to take in but I need help getting to the bottom of this. As far as the receiver issues, I spoke to numerous techs at Traxxas and after telling one this info, he said he will bring it up in their weekly meeting. Maybe its just a bug in the app. It recently did an update and before that I was using the XO-1 profile and everything worked fine.

I have added a screenshot of my data logs. Current limiting is set to custom 400amps. Batteries are 6s 4000mah 60c
    Last edited by Charger Man; 01-09-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s

Yes sir, v1.78 worked fine and no, your gearing is not too steep. After a lot of tweaking, 2.02 works fine as well for me. Now as for the Castle Data Log, first thing I see is that motor getting a little hot! That's beginning to play with fire! Second, something isn't right with your rpms. You're running 6S with 25/36 and only saw about 24G. Assuming that you were giving it full throttle, it just doesn't add up. Now about the ESC cutting off at 50% throttle, have you re-calibrated the RX/TX to see what happens? Can you give it full throttle while cold and/or with no load (tires off the ground) without cutting off? I would also be curious to see your settings if you care to export or take screenshots of and post. Are you seeing any Motor Start Failures in the log file? Sump'n ain't right and it's most likely software/firmware settings related!

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger Man View Post
    Any success with the 1.78. I have the XLX esc running 6s lipo, newly added TPP motor 4070-CM 2200kv. My gearing is 25t pinion, 36t spur. previously with the origional Mamba Monster and a Traxxas 2200kv motor on a single 6s lipo i got to 101mph. With the XLX installed i got the saga custom rc battery trays and running my two 6s lipos in parallel. The max speed i seam to get is about 80mph. Somethings not right here. I am currently fighting issues with the Traxxas TSM receiver running the XO-1 profile. Any throttle input past 50% the power to the motor gets cut off, i still have brakes, and wont go any fruther on the throttle. The light on the receiver is flashing red and green. Tried a brand new reveiver and same results, but I loaded a different vehicle's profile on it for the fun of experimantation, and using the 4-Tec Ford GT everything works fine, goes to full throttle no problem. Back to the speed runs still only getting 80-81mph. IS my gearing too steep? The castle link data logging only shows ~24,000 rpm. The motor has a limit of 75,000. Its no where close to even half its limit. I know this is a lot to take in but I need help getting to the bottom of this. As far as the receiver issues, I spoke to numerous techs at Traxxas and after telling one this info, he said he will bring it up in their weekly meeting. Maybe its just a bug in the app. It recently did an update and before that I was using the XO-1 profile and everything worked fine.

I have added a screenshot of my data logs. Current limiting is set to custom 400amps. Batteries are 6s 4000mah 60c
    No way it's your gearing. Can you revert back to your previous rev? Will you screen shot the castle link setup from your laptop?

Yes sir, v1.78 worked fine and no, your gearing is not too steep. After a lot of tweaking, 2.02 works fine as well for me. Now as for the Castle Data Log, first thing I see is that motor getting a little hot! That's beginning to play with fire! Second, something isn't right with your rpms. You're running 6S with 25/36 and only saw about 24G. Assuming that you were giving it full throttle, it just doesn't add up. Now about the ESC cutting off at 50% throttle, have you re-calibrated the RX/TX to see what happens? Can you give it full throttle while cold and/or with no load (tires off the ground) without cutting off? I would also be curious to see your settings if you care to export or take screenshots of and post. Are you seeing any Motor Start Failures in the log file? Sump'n ain't right and it's most likely software/firmware settings related!

-Shack
    If I try to recalibrate the tx to the rx in the profile of the xo-1 it immediately starts flashing red green on the receiver. Holding the car off the ground does the same thing at half throttle, cuts power. On a different profile everything works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm missing something. Why not just reset everything and start the config from scratch?

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Is your cutoff voltage really 4 vdc. Seems high. Maybe that monster of a motor is drawing the voltage down low enough to trigger LVC. Thus limiting your power output. Also have you read about motor timing and what TP recommends? I
    Gonna go look at your graphs again. See if I missed anything else.

Is your cutoff voltage really 4 vdc. Seems high. Maybe that monster of a motor is drawing the voltage down low enough to trigger LVC. Thus limiting your power output. Also have you read about motor timing and what TP recommends? I
    Gonna go look at your graphs again. See if I missed anything else.
    Cutoff voltage is auto-lipo at 3.5 volts/cell. I have not seen what TPP recommends for motor timing. I was starting to think about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar

Change firmware to 1.78, start power needs to be on high, turn lvc off, change motor direction back to normal and just switch two of the motor wires to get the motor going in the right direction.

Also have you read about motor timing and what TP recommends?
    I have done some research about motor timing and not finding anything. What would you recommend? Currently only tried it at the normal setting of 10*

Hey man,

Which TPP motor do you have? You mentioned a 4070 @ 2200Kv but the closest I see is a 2250. And the max RPM on that motor is 50K, not 75K. Just want to make sure that any "advice" is on target with the hardware that you actually have!

-Shack

Hey man,

Which TPP motor do you have? You mentioned a 4070 @ 2200Kv but the closest I see is a 2250. And the max RPM on that motor is 50K, not 75K. Just want to make sure that any "advice" is on target with the hardware that you actually have!

-Shack
    4070-CM 4D or 2200kv. 75K max rpm. 34 volts max
    http://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/in-...4070-cm-2200kv

Ok, you can smack me! You DID say CM and I overlooked it. Moving on to the issue at hand, have you made any progress?

-Shack

Ok, you can smack me! You DID say CM and I overlooked it. Moving on to the issue at hand, have you made any progress?

-Shack
    I applied the settings gripdog suggested and charged up my batteries over my lunch break and Iíll test it after I get off work. The other thing I need to check is to make sure the throttle % on the data log corresponds with what throttle input Iím giving it. I also recalibrated the esc to the transmitter of full throttle, full brake, and neutral. Weíll see what happens.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I have done some research about motor timing and not finding anything. What would you recommend? Currently only tried it at the normal setting of 10*

Donít add timing to that motor, itís a D wind.

I just tested it on 1.78 with the timing still at 10* and I beat my original speed record of 101 with an 108mph speed run. Here are my data logs from that run. The temperature the log displays is the esc temp not motor. But Iím not sure if thatís even right. I checked everything with an infrared temp gauge and esc was 98* and motor was 113*

There you go! That's more like it! Temps are a little high for my liking but overall it looks good. Nice job and congrats on the new PB!

-Shack

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you should probably follow the General's advice on timing and back it up some. When you're timing is advanced, you will have a little more power but you will also have more heat. At 191į, you're motor probably won't hold up for long.
    Last edited by shack351; 01-10-2018 at 07:07 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Castle xlx esc

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    Donít add timing to that motor, itís a D wind.

Not that it's apples to apples but Poseidon recommended low timing, it ran super hot, bumped it up and it ran cool again. I'd say try it both ways. See what nets you the best speed to heat ratio. To be fair I just said it'd be good to investigate the timing, not necessarily bump it up or down.
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 01-10-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Not that it's apples to apples but Poseidon recommended low timing, it ran super hot, bumped it up and it ran cool again. I'd say try it both ways. See what nets you the best speed to heat ratio. To be fair I just said it'd be good to investigate the timing, not necessarily bump it up or down.
    With a D wind I leave them at the stock 10 setting. Adding timing didnít help and just made temps increase. That motor he has draws a lot of amps. Something still isnít right, he should be a good bit faster on 6s with that gear.

I changed the motor timing to 0* and got a 115mph speed run. 320 amps with 2.62v of ripple. Made 8.1hp I added a castle cap pack to the xlx and hopefully that ripple voltage will go down.

I changed the motor timing to 0* and got a 115mph speed run. 320 amps with 2.62v of ripple. Made 8.1hp I added a castle cap pack to the xlx and hopefully that ripple voltage will go down.

Whatís batteries you running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast