RC poster

I want to switch order of locking diffs

I don’t understand why Traxxas would make it to where the front diffs would lock before the rears. On actual 4x4s with locking diffs the rears always lock before the fronts (wrangler rubicon, Mercedes g-wagon etc.)

This would also help keep the turning radius better while giving u a little more additional grip. Seems like it shouldn’t be too hard to modify it to where the radio switch would lock the rears first then the fronts.

Has anyone done this mod? Anyone have an idea of how to do it?
    Thanks!

RC poster
    Should be able to just switch plug ports on the receiver so rear is in fronts spot and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed a Summit T-Lock module so I can use my DX5R. It operated a little differently than the stock radio system in that both diffs are locked, and I can either unlock the front or back, but can't unlock them both at the same time. I like this a lot more than the stock setup. If I am climbing a rock and the back tire with traction is pushing me where I don't want to go I can unlock the back, keeping the front locked, which unloads that tires with traction correcting my line.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Just swap the plugs in the rx.....you might need to adjust the end points tho

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Joed9106 View Post
    I donít understand why Traxxas would make it to where the front diffs would lock before the rears. On actual 4x4s with locking diffs the rears always lock before the fronts (wrangler rubicon, Mercedes g-wagon etc.)
    Those are still passenger vehicles. While capable, they are not meant for technical crawling.

The TRX system functions like a dig to maintain full front traction to pull you around an obstacle. While not a true dig (rear still has power), it does a pretty good job.

If you want, you can change the order of the diffs or lock both at the same time (I've tried both). The latter requires additional work.

RC Competitor
    The front diff locking first is because on short wheelbase vehicles locking the front diff helps steering and control uphill, rear diff lock might climb better in some situations but at a loss of steering response. Try it, you can easily change back stock

RC Competitor
    ask people who actually go wheeling, and 90% will tell you to lock the front first. easier to pull weight up an obstacle than push it.

Joed9106, I set my diffs to mimic a full scale vehicle. I have found that my TRX4 performs better in the grass at high speed (3s in 2nd gear) with just the rear locked.
    This is an easy fix if you have the Traxxas Link Wireless Module (#6511) connected to an ipad/pod/phone or android tablet/phone. In the Traxxas Link app, go to garage, then channel setup, there, I changed channel 4 to "normal" & channel 5 to "reversed". Doing this allows you to lock the rear diff first, then front & rear together. The switch on the transmitter will work in reverse of the original oem setup, full unlock = switch forward, rear locked = switch in middle position, full lock = switch in rearward most position. I did not find servo reversing for channels 4 & 5 in the programming tree (located in the owners manual, to program radio settings without the wireless module). Hope this over-explanation helps..

If you don't have the wireless module, follow this link to get the full manual for the TQi transmitter (it is available on the Traxxas website), it shows how to reverse channels 4 & 5 using the programming tree.
    Click manual, then select language.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t...k4ch?t=support

RC Competitor
    Swapping servo plugs is only half of the process. Since the two shift servos operate opposite from each other you must also reverse the servo movement in the TX. This video will walk you through the entire process.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-09-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
    Swapping servo plugs is only half of the process.
    Swapping the plugs at the receiver is not necessary to achieve the desired effect. If you read my previous posts, I describe how to set it up solely in the transmitter.

And it is quickly reversed back to stock when desired without having to go into the sealed rx box each time, just say'n.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
    ask people who actually go wheeling, and 90% will tell you to lock the front first. easier to pull weight up an obstacle than push it.
    The ONLY correct answer
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    The ONLY correct answer
    I'll agree to disagree. The ONLY correct answer is what works best for the rig. It all depends on where the weight is, how it is driven, and what you are climbing. Most factory Jeeps with lockers have them in the back only, and any ATV has the back always locked and the front lockable.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    I have since switched to a hacked GT3C TX and 8 channel Turnegy RX which allowed me to separate the diff locks to operate independently. What I have found since the change is that it totally depends on the situation which diff lock works best. Looking back at the factory setup now I don't think it makes a **** bit of difference what the lock order is.
    It's a rock, get over it!