RC Competitor

New Lipo suggestions

Hello Traxxas forums

I do have a traxxas Lipo battery that is 5000 mah 25c 3s. For some reason its not charging. im probably going to move from traxxas lipo batteries because there expensive and to low of discharge rating.

I`am looking at venom batteries and black magic batteries. I do run the traxxas velineon system if there is any good suggestions that can work with the traxxas system please let me know

604Slash4x4

After SPC shut down, the new hotness for batteries is SPC Racing. I have never tried them, I haven't heard any complaints, and I plan on buying my next round of packs through them.

http://www.smc-racing.net/
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Personally I wouldn't use venom, 90% of what I have been told and read says they explode or catch on fire. I have a dynamite lipo that is a 50c discharge, and is 2s. I haven't tried traxxas yet, most people I talk to recommend traxxas,and, dynamite and gens ace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SMC's are great. I started using them after SPC shut down. No complaints so far.
    "Gone racing"

RC Competitor
    +1 for smc racing. Great packs!
    Flying gravel hurts and watch your feet..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    smc will be my next battery purchase

Gens Ace - I've used and abused them and they keep coming back for more! 3S, 4S, 6S, 8S or 12S configurations... doesn't matter. I always have the power I need for my rigs.

If you've got money to burn, MaxAmps are one of the best in the business.

-Shack

+1 on gens ace.
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    ... If you've got money to burn, MaxAmps are one of the best in the business.

-Shack
    You have got to be kidding! While they certainly are expensive, make that stupid expensive; the performance of MA packs is average at best. Packs from SMC will noticeably outperform any equivalent spec'd MaxsCrap pack and do so at a fraction of the cost.

They are mostly overpriced... I'll give you that! I have only tried a few of their batteries but the ones I've used are perfect for what I needed and perform to perfection. Options are limited when you need to put two 6S batteries in series in your 12S Slash that's hungry for Amps. I've got two of their 2800mAh 6S packs and they deliver the performance of batteries with almost twice the mAh rating and weight. My co-worker has bench-tested these for me (compared only to Gens Ace) and for their size and weight... they dominated. DR, IR, Stress... you name it. I mean it wasn't even close!

"Packs from SMC will noticeably outperform any equivalent spec'd MaxsCrap pack and do so at a fraction of the cost."

Is that scientifically proven or through using the bats in your rigs? I am not being smartA here either. I just have a hard time buying that. If it's accurate, SMC is the best Lipo made.

I will also concede that I do not own any 3S MA packs so I can cannot speak directly for the quality of their batts with that cell count.

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am the previous owner and head Engineer for SPC Racing and I can say with absolute certainty, when we were still selling battery packs my testing showed MA packs to be a shameful embarrassment of their stated specs. And this issue not only applied to their LiPo packs, but went clear back to the Nimh days when MA claimed their Nimh cells were "1.18 Volts or higher", yet they admitted to never testing or cycling the cells to verified those voltage numbers.

I would always get a personal chuckle when viewing my test results for a high Amp-load discharge of a MA LiPo pack. Not only were the voltage sags far below normal, the useable capacities were much less than what was stated on the labels. The MA cell IR's were also higher than competitor's packs I tested with similar specs, including many SMC packs I tested. In fact in all of my testing, a MA pack was the only pack I ever had struggle so completely during a normal discharge test, the pack went into thermal runaway. Talk about a scary situation. And the discharge load during this failed MA test was just a modest load.

Over my career at SPC I tested thousands of RC LiPo packs, so I knew what I was looking at and what I was looking for.

Jang at the Ultimate RC forum also tested a MA pack. His test results were similar to mine. I warned him that MA management may not take kindly to him posting his truthful test results and sure enough within a few days of publishing his results on the website, he was legally threatened by MA. MA finally forced him under legal threat to remove the test results from the website and ultimately even ban the words MaxAmps from the website.

MA = Average at best performance, stupid high prices and bullying tactics if things do not go their way. They are definitely not the best RC LiPo pack made!
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-20-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I am the previous owner and head Engineer for SPC Racing and I can say with absolute certainty, when we were still selling battery packs my testing showed MA packs to be a shameful embarrassment of their stated specs. And this issue not only applied to their LiPo packs, but went clear back to the Nimh days when MA claimed their Nimh cells were "1.18 Volts or higher", yet they admitted to never testing or cycling the cells to verified those voltage numbers.

I would always get a personal chuckle when viewing my test results for a high Amp-load discharge of a MA LiPo pack. Not only were the voltage sags far below normal, the useable capacities were much less than what was stated on the labels. The MA cell IR's were also higher than competitor's packs I tested with similar specs, including many SMC packs I tested. In fact in all of my testing, a MA pack was the only pack I ever had struggle so completely during a normal discharge test, the pack went into thermal runaway. Talk about a scary situation. And the discharge load during this failed MA test was just a modest load.

Over my career at SPC I tested thousands of RC LiPo packs, so I knew what I was looking at and what I was looking for.

Jang at the Ultimate RC forum also tested a MA pack. His test results were similar to mine. I warned him that MA management may not take kindly to him posting his truthful test results and sure enough within a few days of publishing his results on the website, he was legally threatened by MA. MA finally forced him under legal threat to remove the test results from the website and ultimately even ban the words MaxAmps from the website.

MA = Average at best performance, stupid high prices and bullying tactics if things do not go their way. They are definitely not the best RC LiPo pack made!

Wow! That is an impressive post. Since it's obvious that you have a very high degree of specific knowledge in the area of battery tech, I will gracefully submit to your opinion. As I mentioned, I have made very minimal comparisons but for the one MA battery we did compare, the results were good and my rig likes them. Since you have tested a vast amount of packs in your day, your opinion, and pure knowledge, is highly valued by me and I appreciate the schooling on MA. If you say MA sucks, I'll take it as the gospel.

It's easy to be fooled by posted specs and that is why I try to verify what I'm being fed. The mechanical & electrical engineers I work with are a bunch of smart guys. They're masters when it comes to ways to cut, form and bend any metal known to man. I trust the results of my EE's bench tests but wish I would have recorded them for a truly professional analysis by someone like yourself.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I appreciate your candor. The forum needs guys like you to speak up when they know that sumpn' ain't right! I usually reply to post on specific items that I have experience with. The OP did mention 3S so I will try to limit my future opinions to be more on target.

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mechanical Engineer here with years of experience designing and working with compressible fluids, then transferring this all to electrical applications for RC battery and system use. Fluid flow and electrical flow are very analogous so it is quite easy to tie the two together for a better understanding of each and related design work.

To the OP - I apologize for temporarily pulling your thread somewhat off track.

This should be its own sticky above every thread.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    By far, this is the best thread on batteries.
    +1 on SMC
    +1 on Gens Ace

RC Racer

Thank you sir for sharing your knowledge with us. Greatly appreciated!!

RC Racer
    I use SMC really like the SPC but like the Chief said that's not a option anymore, anyway no complaints with SMC

RC Racer
    I also thank you but wish SPC would make batteries again, sorry I miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by augerin2 View Post
    I also thank you but wish SPC would make batteries again, sorry I miss them.
    +1

SMC is great, but SPC was the best IMHO.
    "Gone racing"

Mechanical Engineer here with years of experience designing and working with compressible fluids, then transferring this all to electrical applications for RC battery and system use. Fluid flow and electrical flow are very analogous so it is quite easy to tie the two together for a better understanding of each and related design work.

To the OP - I apologize for temporarily pulling your thread somewhat off track.
    Hey Jakey,

If you don't mind me asking, what do think about some of the new battery technology coming up? Graphene and asphalt derivatives appear to show some significant advancements. Elimination of dendrite formation and the ability to fully charge a pack in five or ten minutes seems almost too good to be true. Are these type of advancements, or others, probable and going to be mainstream anytime in the near future? Thanks.

-Shack