RC Competitor

Castle 1/5 waterproof and sensored

So I called Castle because I am torn between another Summit (I sold mine) and an 8s X-Maxx. I know the X-Maxx would be a lot of fun but the Summit is amazing with a sensored brushless setup. that low wheel speed control is amazing. I asked them about the possibility of seeing a sensored or waterproof version of the XL-X and they said it is definitely on the table. they are designing it now and hope to have a prototype to test and beat out of soon.

Just wanted to open up the discussion and see what everyones thoughts are.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-17-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    I have had a Summit and have Trail rigs...and a Xmaxx. The Summit could just about squeeze through most trails I do. The Maxx has no chance. It’s just too BIG! So it would not be much use to me. :-)

I have an Xmaxx, Emaxx, and a Summit. I like all three, and all three are good in their own way. Each one has something that it's better at than the other two. So, get all three, and you'll be good to go with what ever comes your way.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I have an Xmaxx, Emaxx, and a Summit. I like all three, and all three are good in their own way. Each one has something that it's better at than the other two. So, get all three, and you'll be good to go with what ever comes your way.
    What do you think the Emaxx has over he other two. I am planning on the Summit and an Xmaxx but wasnt even thinking about an Emaxx. Always open to more ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think the Emaxx has over he other two.
    For me, my Xmaxx (once modified) is great for super hard power bashing, climbing and jumping. My Xmaxx (once modified) is great for crazy fast bashing, and reasonable climbing and jumping. My Summit (once modified) is good ol' "Mr. Reliable". I take it if I'm going to be playing far enough away from my house. If so, and if I happen to go though my Xmaxx and my Emaxx, I got my good ol' 4s Mr. Reliable Summit to make sure I get the most out of my trip and gas.

For me, I like my Xmaxx and Emaxx way more than my Summit. Not to say that it's not a good truck; I just like the heterogametic chromosomes of my Xmaxx and Emaxx better than the homogametic chromosomes that my Summit has. That's just me, though.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-18-2017 at 02:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm a E-Maxx fan to. I have a very modded one. I'd never recommend anyone to buy one though. I think it's better economy to build one. Outta the box they are a little fragile compared to modern trucks. It's a old design in a tough new brushless world. :-)

If you run a Emaxx in 4s it's pretty darn reliable. I have a couple friends that do that, and they hardly ever have a problem with their Emaxx's. If you run 6s though (that's how I run mine), you need to beef the Emaxx up a little bit. You don't have to go crazy (like a lot of guys do), but you do have to do a few things.

If (IMO) you play your cards right, you just do just what's needed (not a lot of unnecessary things) you can have a fun, fast, an reasonably reliable truck for a decent price. Because of that, if a person was going to do as I suggest, it would be easy for me to recommend having an Emaxx. The Emaxx is a blast in 6s, and (out of all my Traxxas vehicles) is the most fun to work on and tinker with.

If, however, you want (feel the need) to heavily modify a Emaxx; I agree with oOwizOo 100% that you would be much better off building one on your own from scratch. It would be a lot more cost effective that buying a new Emaxx, and replacing all the OEM chassis parts with after market parts while only keeping the MM2motor and speed control.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-19-2017 at 03:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Im glad to see the E-Maxx still gets some love. Mine got sort of shelved when the X-Maxx turned up.

RC Enthusiast
    ive been around rc land a LONG time. Ive own more emaxx's than ive owned any other truck. Ive never owned one that i didnt LOVE to death but didnt break all the time. when i bought one i was very prepared to send oodles of money redesigning it which was most of the fun but since ive gotten the xmaxx the driving experience is just unmatched. Hands down my favorite basher. it needs mods but its amazing!

Xmaxx the driving experience is just unmatched.
    If I had to pick...had to pick mind you...between my modified Xmaxx, my modified Emaxx, and my modified Summit; I agree. My Xmaxx is my favorite, but my Emaxx is a reasonably close second.

RC Qualifier
    I just love the size and looks. Shocks and towers are in the right place! So many trucks have them set wrongly so they look terrible in the aches of a nice body. Then there is working on the truck. So easy. The E-Maxx is a PITA to get to the diffs. The X-Maxx drive train is well protected to which I like.

I seem to have shelved or sold most of my other trucks. :-)

RC Racer
    For me, my Xmaxx (once modified) is great for super hard power bashing, climbing and jumping. My Xmaxx (once modified) is great for crazy fast bashing, and reasonable climbing and jumping. My Summit (once modified) is good ol' "Mr. Reliable". I take it if I'm going to be playing far enough away from my house. If so, and if I happen to go though my Xmaxx and my Emaxx, I got my good ol' 4s Mr. Reliable Summit to make sure I get the most out of my trip and gas.

For me, I like my Xmaxx and Emaxx way more than my Summit. Not to say that it's not a good truck; I just like the heterogametic chromosomes of my Xmaxx and Emaxx better than the homogametic chromosomes that my Summit has. That's just me, though.
    What modifications are you speaking of when you say: "my Xmaxx (once modified) is great for super hard power bashing"? Im only curious because Ive got one as well, and LOVE to modify

The E-Maxx is a PITA to get to the diffs.
    Sorry to brag, but I perfected my technique that allows me to change an Emaxx diff in less than 20 minutes.

What modifications are you speaking of when you say: "my Xmaxx (once modified) is great for super hard power bashing"?
    Well, I have good news and I have bad news. First the good news: I did a bunch of them, and posted pictures of all that I did in this forum. Now, the bad news: When Photobucket turned into a bunch of @holes they ruined all my pictures that I posted. I guess I could do an abbreviated montage of what I did.

RC Racer
    Hmm Id really like to know the modifications you did to make it even better than it already is!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to brag, but I perfected my technique that allows me to change an Emaxx diff in less than 20 minutes.
    I’m impressed! I think I spent that amount of time just cursing! :-)

Id really like to know the modifications you did to make it even better than it already is!
    What I'll do is, I'll reply here by showing a few mods each day with a general picture and description. Then if you (or anyone else) want more info I'll get a little more specific with that particular mod. Being I got my Xmaxx when they first came out, some of the mods I did have been done (to some degree) by Traxxas with their 8s version.

The first mod I did (I strongly suggest doing, and is what some of us call) the Kershaw Mod. The first guy to do it was Mr. Sniper from this forum, and he did it with a Castle XLX-2/2028 setup. Even though Traxxas has improved the motor/ESC with their new 8s version, but it still can't compete with these Leopard 56XX or Castle 2028 motors and these Leopard BL5 or Castle XLX-2 ESC's. I have friends that have 8s Xmaxx's, and there's no comparison between OEM and the Kershaw mod.

To do this mod you need the Kershaw (or something similar) motor mount, and that's how this mod got its' name "The Kershaw Mod." Most people went with the Kershaw motor mount, because it was really nice, it also came with the ESC mount, and it was (at the time) only 40 bucks for the two. I myself, went with the Leopard 5892 1340kv motor and the Castle XLX-2 ESC.

The pictures below show my version of the Kershaw mod along with a few extras. The picture directly below show the Kershaw mount, my modified gear cover that allows me to have RPM's on my Traxxas telemetry, and the wiring that allowed me to return this assembly back to being a modular design for easier maintenance.

The below picture shows the mod I did to the Kershaw Mod, by modifying its' ESC mount to return it back to being a modular design for easier maintenance.

This mod was to make it a lot easier for me to do servo maintenance and/or removal/replacement of the servo.

The only down side of what I've shown you so far is that my truck isn't waterproof now due to using a Castle XLX-2 ESC and by having electrical plugs outside my receiver box. For me though, that's not a big deal, because I can still play in muddy watery conditions. I just cant play in fully submerged under water conditions.

This next mod was so that I could use any battery I wanted to without any restrictions. I call it "The Battery Strap Mod."

The next mod I did was so I could balance my wheels. Also, with my non-Proline wheels, I take them apart, tape and reglue them before I balance them. The below picture shows the balancer I made that does all my wheels except my XO-1 wheels.

Well, that's it for now. I'll try to do more the next time I sit down. Time for Break-the Fast.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-21-2017 at 05:15 AM.

RC Racer
    Wow thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great post!! Excellent work and very informative! Please keep going!

Thanks, and okay here's an easy one. There are several ways you can go with shock. Proline, Integy, and the new Traxxas springs are all nice ways to go. I myself, have the Integy ones, but I mainly use my Traxxas shocks with Traxxas 7858 springs on the rear and Traxxas 7856 springs on the front.

This little mod keeps you from losing a 18 dollar spring if you happen to break a shock shaft. Notice that the safety wire is in the back of the shock where it can't be seen.

RC Qualifier
    Great updates. :-) If you want a permanent fix for broken shock shafts I highly recommend the UE Supermaxx shock shafts. They are ace.

When you get a chance maybe you'll post the website for us.

If you want a permanent fix for broken shock shafts.
    Also, I get a little concerned when I hear absolutes like permanent, always, and never (for example), because there's usually and exception somewhere lurking about. Anyway, I'm sure these shock shafts are very nice, but they may seem permanent, because you haven't seen them break yet. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Let's do wheelie wheels. The below picture is my first set of Xmaxx wheelie wheels that I made back when the Xmaxx first came out. Notice the aluminum bracket that I made.

Then RPM came out with a plastic support bracket to strengthen the Xmaxx's rear bumper which makes it a lot easier to make this wheelie bar. The advantage here is, you can adjust this wheelie bar to what height you want your Xmaxx's front end to come up to. I have mine set for 45*.

If you would rather have the 8s wheelie bar, you might like to do this little mod. It dumps those hard plastic wheels for rubber tires with aluminum rims. Also, these tires won't come off during the heat of bashing, and can be cleaned up to keep looking brand new.

I mainly use these if I know I will be doing a lot of high jumping. I mainly use the second mentioned wheelie bar with the RPM bracket.

RC Qualifier
    Rizzod did a vid. That’s how I heard about them and purchased:

https://youtu.be/Uszf44ZCNrs

That sure looks like a strong shock shaft. Down the road I may have to give that a try.

RC Competitor
    Great ideas man keep them coming.

Here's a good one if you like Castle's 2028 fan.

Only two more mods left to show you all, and I'm saving the best one for last.

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

Nice mods, appreciated to share it with us.

Quick question, the mod to maintain servo, esc, ... plugs, how is it waterproof ? Can't it create any issues?

Thanks.

I just cant play in fully submerged under water conditions.
    I mention this above that my setup isn't water proof. The Castle XLX-2 isn't waterproof, so I didn't worry about my extension cables and their plugs being waterproof. I can play in reasonably sloppy watery conditions, but full emersion for me is a no, no. That's okay though, because when you play in mud you have a lot more maintenance to do than if you just play in dry dirty conditions.

Here's how you can put a tailgate protector on Proline's Raptor body.

I only have one more mod idea left...I think?

RC Qualifier
    That's a great mod. I was wondering if it would fit. The guard has worked wonders on my stock body.

It doesn't fit when the part first comes out of the bag, but it can easily be made to fit. The only thing is, though, you do have to make a new securing bracket. I show it in my first of three tailgate protector photo's, and it's made out of aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    Understood. I’m sure I can do that. Thanks. :-)

Mr. OwizO, I just bought me a set of those Unlimited Engineering shock shafts. I'll still keep my springs safety wired, though.

I like that castle fan mod! I'm going to do same thing and junk the stock fans. Gonna throw 2x *** fans in there instead. I'm thinking I might put screen or something above the fans to help protect the blades.
    TRX4 Bronco
    Brushless Losi 5T

Just so you know, I've never had a problem with stuff tearing up my blades, and with nothing over my fans I get a lot more air circulation.

RC Qualifier
    Mr. OwizO, I just bought me a set of those Unlimited Engineering shock shafts. I'll still keep my springs safety wired, though.
    Am sure you’ll be impressed with them. :-)

I just got my new, handy dandy, Unlimited Engineering shock shafts today.

Here's my last Xmaxx mod, and it deals with keeping the body from cracking where the roll cage screws meet the body.

Some guys use Shoe Goo and dry wall tape, but all that does is delay the cracking. Shoe Goo and NAPA's Hercules bed liner which is what I use (NAPA's Hercules bed liner works just as good Shoe Goo, looks a whole lot better than Shoe Goo, and is easier to apply than Shoe Goo), is really only good for strengthening the body's edges to better reduce the tears that can happen in those edge of body areas. Again, the only thing Shoe Goo and NAPA's Hercules bed liner can do with regards to roll cage screw body cracking is to delay the cracking.

Some guys put washers underneath the roll cage body screws. Unfortunately, all that does is move the crack from the edge of the body screws to the edge of the body screw's washers. If you want to keep the Xmaxx's body from cracking at the roll cage mounting screws....you got to keep the body from bending enough (during crashes) to keep it from forming a crease next to the Xmaxx's roll cage body screws. Once creased, and with continued flexing, the Xmaxx's body is going to crack. It's called flex fatigue, and that's just the way it is, so don't shoot the messenger. What can you do? You can install front and rear body savers.

Front Body Saver:

Rear Body Saver:

Front, minimal bending arch with no crease formed after 1 year of bashing.

Rear, minimal bending arch with no crease formed after 1 year of bashing and before rear tailgate protector available and installed.

That's great! That's wonderful ReglarGuy! Thank you, thank you! Stop it, stop it, you're embarrassing me. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-17-2017 at 07:41 AM.

RC Competitor
    This turned into a great thread. Thanks everyone.

This should be pinned somewhere for easy access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk