RC Enthusiast

Buying RC's off of Craigslist

What are your guys' thoughts of buying RC's off of craigslist?
    https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...311830383.html

RC Competitor
    If you can make sure you see it running before .

I prefer to buy used RCs off of Craig's, I can see exactly what I am getting before money changes hands. Too many times a seller will post up a picture of an RC that looks good, and what you actually get is an RC that was beat to snot.

Like Coupman said, test it before you buy it. I normally find out why kind of plug the ESC takes and bring a pack of my own for testing.

Just make sure you meet in a public place and have someone with you.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Nothing wrong with buying a used RC from Craigslist, just make sure to give it a good look over first. Listing says that the receiver is broken so you would not be able to see it running first and possibly stuck buying a new receiver if not a new controller also. I'm not sure if Traxxas will actually replace a receiver for free as claimed in the listing. Not being able to see the truck run first is bad, especially since he said it ran in snow which can cause issues faster. If the velineon system is not in great condition, that would be a bad deal.

One thing you can check are the plastic CVDs that give power to each tire. If the truck has been run hard, the holes will start to oval out first. Example:

So if all the holes on the plastic axles still look new, then he probably has not run it much, as he claims. Not being able to see it run first is still a gamble though.

When buying used... ALWAYS expect the worst, so you wont be too surprised after you get to see the vehicle.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like Craigslist. But I only buy things I know things about, so I know what to look for.

Unfortunately this ad says the receiver doesn't work so there's really no way to know how good the esc/motor/radio are much less bearings/slipper etc. I bought a Rustler off CL and a GT off a Facebook ad but I was able to see both run before handing over the $$(both turned out to great deals)

This one has been run in the snow and has visible rust on the body mount screws. Makes me wonder how much else has water issues that you can't see. I run my trucks in the snow every year and none have visible rust on them. This could either be a decent deal or a money pit....how lucky do ya feel?

Of course you could always take one of your functioning receivers to throw in it,then link it to his BT radio and see how things work. Then you're taking the chance of something on the truck taking out your receiver...Where is that coin flip emoji?? lol. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    You dont know how it has been run, those machines are made to do lots of bashing, I'm not sure I would buy my own truck after the way I run with it

So unless there is proof that it's a good machine... I would not buy it, but that only me
    One Stampede and one TRX4

I bought my slash 4x4 on Craigslist, I'm always looking for a great deal on Craigslist. Always use common bring a buddy or 2, meet at a populated areas no sketchy dark alleys never hand over the money till you have checked every thing you need to and that you are ok with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Buying stuff off craigslist: Caveat emptor.

After installing my own receiver and checking that everything was working well, I would say that P4de should be priced at $120 in my loveable, humble opinion.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrustlervxl View Post
    I bought my slash 4x4 on Craigslist, I'm always looking for a great deal on Craigslist. Always use common bring a buddy or 2, meet at a populated areas no sketchy dark alleys never hand over the money till you have checked every thing you need to and that you are ok with it.

I always carry a gun to CL meetings. Just in case

RC Enthusiast
    If I were to go look at the stampede 4x4, what should I look for? I would bring my own reciver and controller so that I am able to drive it. What tests should I do on the truck to make sure that it is a good deal? And what do you guys think the truck is worth?

Thanks for your responses!

Dcuda69.... funny you should mention the words "money pit", these vehicles are nothing but because they arent cheap to begin with and the upgrade parts arent much better most times.

I bought my XL-5 RTR brand new and have spent about an extra $500 in upgrades in it and its not really not that much better off than before, so i'd finally had enough and stop putting money into it, its not like your going to get your so called investment back when trying to sell it, its always at a huge loss, so whats the point, really.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I always carry a gun to CL meetings. Just in case
    +1 on that one Grip! With a round in the chamber at that.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    funny you should mention the words "money pit", these vehicles are nothing but because they arent cheap to begin with and the upgrade parts arent much better most times.

I bought my XL-5 RTR brand new and have spent about an extra $500 in upgrades in it and its not really not that much better off than before
    Sounds like you are buying the wrong upgrade parts if your upgrade parts "aren't much better".

RPM A-Arms - went from breaking a stock A-Arm about every other bashing session to never breaking an A-Arm ever again. Using the same RPM A-Arms now since 2011 with no failures.
    MIP X-Duty CVDs - Went from the plastic stub-axles breaking constantly and limiting the power I could put through the vehicle to never having to replace them ever again and being able to run all the way up to 4S Lipo with zero issues.
    STRC 14mm Aluminum Hexes - I had stripped a few hex sockets using the stock plastic hexes. I never again stripped a hex socket in my wheels after upgrading to Aluminum hexes, even on 4S. No need to upgrade to 17mm and get all new wheels either!
    RPM Front Bumper - Saved me during many crashes. Stock bottom "bumper" is just a little nub!

Those are just a few examples. My Stampede 4x4 is an absolute tank now and aside from full speed into a wall or similar, nothing on the vehicle ever breaks anymore. I can take it on long camping trips, where you can't exactly run to the hobby store if something breaks, and feel confident that it will work great the whole time.

You know what is a real money pit? E-Maxx...

Ok... so its somewhat better, but the money as i see it now, is too much spent, i havent touched it in over two weeks, no upgrades, no play, no nothing, i think im done and just going to get rid of everything, truck, batterries, charger, etc.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Ok... so its somewhat better, but the money as i see it now, is too much spent, i havent touched it in over two weeks, no upgrades, no play, no nothing, i think im done and just going to get rid of everything, truck, batterries, charger, etc.
    I personally see your point, thats why I only own 2 rigs, and upgrade bare nessescities. Why waste 100's dollars on something like beadlock wheels? Or trying to cram a 300 dollar motor and esc into a 1/10th scale? Maybe its just my lack of space, but by the time you finish everything, your gonna lose a couple 100 when you sell it.
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    Maybe its just my lack of space, but by the time you finish everything, your gonna lose a couple 100 when you sell it.
    You'll lose money on most hobbies. Spend some money putting together a 1:1 car sometime. Most will be a losing battle.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

A hobby is money well spent. Many folks would be happier if they started playing with plastic toy cars. Insanity is far more expensive.

Staring from a roller, I have about $700 USD in my P4de. That's not very much for a toy that brings joy to a highly stressed middle-aged adult.

If I only had one RC, I think it would be this truck.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    A hobby is money well spent. Many folks would be happier if they started playing with plastic toy cars. Insanity is far more expensive.

Staring from a roller, I have about $700 USD in my P4de. That's not very much for a toy that brings joy to a highly stressed middle-aged adult.
    I agree! I have a TON invested in my Slash as I started out with an Ultimate at $600. I would be lucky to get 1/2 of that $600 out of it now. I don't care either, I didn't get into this to make money. I got into it to have fun.....and I am!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Yes, this makes me smile!

Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    trying to cram a 300 dollar motor and esc into a 1/10th scale?
    Don't do these upgrades if you are just going to sell it, do these upgrades if you are going to use it. In regards to the motor/esc, it can be nice being able to go longer before your motor and/or ESC become prohibitively hot. It can be fun being able to use a higher-voltage battery such as 4S.

Also, even if the end total is a lot, buying upgrade parts gradually over time is usually easier on people's finances than what would be implied by the total.

...i think im done and just going to get rid of everything, truck, batterries, charger, etc.
    I strongly suggest not doing this unless you are in financial straits. Many of us old RC guys have gone through seasons of RC disinterest but these don't last long. Don't do anything you will regret. These expensive toys serve a good purpose. A joyful heart is good medicine - Prov. 17:22a.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Offer up and letgo are great apps for this, I have bought several traxxas cars on there. One thing I do look for are rusted screws, if that has rust then who knows how the bearings are. I also take a battery with me and turn the wheels to make sure the diffs aren’t binding or slipping.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

I did a look over of the pics and I only saw one issue. The rear body mounts are damaging the body, but only on the back right. however, this is a known problem for stampedes (at least with my experiences). that is to be expected when using battery hold down posts for the body mounts.
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

As Shakespeare would say, "Photobucket doeth stinketh."
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post

If I only had one RC, I think it would be this truck.
    "A hobby is money well spent" Jvogel
    This is such a true statement.

It's called a hobby, not an investment

A hobby or an addiction? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    A hobby or an addiction? Lol
    Yes sadly it is an addiction, a hobby addiction

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes sadly it is an addiction, a hobby addiction

Better than drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Better than drugs
    That is very true

The only times you can use investment and rc in the same sentence is, ( hunny if we invest in traxxas rc cars for the hole family we can have so much fun together or hunny I need to invest in This $250 esc motor combo and hope she falls for it lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The only times you can use investment and rc in the same sentence is, ( hunny if we invest in traxxas rc cars for the hole family we can have so much fun together or hunny I need to invest in This $250 esc motor combo and hope she falls for it lol

Good thought.

I dont see that goin over with my wife lol. Hmmm but if i catch her on an off day, that just mite work...
    Ive been doin some readin... Think im goina go with the jato a-arm mod on my p4de. Get that wide stance. Good idea or no? Wat yall think?

So thats how marriages work...... her money is her money and your money is also her money.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

So thats how marriages work...... her money is her money and your money is also her money.
    Sometimes it's a good thing.

RC Competitor
    I have only bought 2 new RCs out of the 20 in the last few years (bit by the bug bad) and can honestly say that's not really lightly used. I literally just bought a 4 year old vxl 4x4 stampede for $225. Guy bought it, his friends got a few, he moved out of state, and sat in his closet. I too carried to the meeting at a restaurant in public. Nice guy, and told him thank you for being reasonable with the price. Not "I have $800 sunk into this with batteries so selling it for $725. Not how it works lol. If it were me I'd tell him it's not running, and can't see it run, a roller is worth about $150, and that's my offer. If I got it I would tear it down and check all bearings, and change all fluids.

CL is fine to buy off of but use common sense when meeting.

These are def not investments! Its called a hobby for reason lol. In my experience, you can expect to get half to 2/3 of original purchase price if in good/new condition. Upgrades are negotiable. Just because it has upgrades doesnt guarantee youll get more money for it but they do generally make rc more desirable and worth the money agreed apon.
    Theres easily over 1k in half of my 12 rc's! The other half of them easily have 200-500 in them. Some I bought like that others I upgraded myself. Im gonna add up receipts one day and see, lol.
    2 p4de, 2 ERBE, 1 Xmaxx, 1 Emaxx, 1 Rustler(sr been rebuilt 2x), 1 Summit, 1 2wd Slash, 1 1/16 ERBE, 1 1/16 Latrax Teton, 1 Spartan
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    Think im goina go with the jato a-arm mod on my p4de. Get that wide stance. Good idea or no? Wat yall think?
    Jato mod? Buy the protrac extended arm setup. Notice the wide stance on blue one. With HR 10mm offset 17mm adapters. That setup is very stable, it spins out more than flipping over. Youll need to change up drive shafts if youve got mip xduties, youll need longer half shafts and youll need longer rods. Look in threads or I can try to find thread or I may even have part info in phone here if you decide to go that route. Longer arms are good for a lot of street or speed running. If you wanna bash or trail blaze id keep stock. Imo...

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 10-29-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Im gonna add up receipts one day and see, lol.
    I'll suggest against doing that! You likely won't be happy with the final sum. I've had people ask me what I have in my 1:1 toy...... I honestly don't know and I really have no desire to know. I know I have a blast with it as I do these RCs...cost is irrelevant.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl