RC Competitor

Lightbulb Slash 2wd: A Parents Recommendation

I’ve been lurking now for almost a year after purchasing 2 Slash 2wd’s for my kids last Christmas. I wanted to share my experience as a parent for other parents.

The 2wd Slash is the perfect choice for that first RC Truck. We’ve played follow the leader, raced, and even hiking trail crawled in the mountains of NC with them. They now go almost everywhere with us when we think we can play outdoors.

The best feature is 50% throttle mode as this has allowed my kids to develop good driving habits, learn how to control the truck coming towards them, and even a friendly Grandpa/Dad racing even that makes it more about the best driving line and perfection vs. speed.

We didn’t go for LiPo’s as I have these for my scale crawler and drones. For traveling I have several packs and two chargers. You can’t go wrong with a couple chargers and having one mulit-chemistry is the next best purchase after the truck.

The best part is the smiles per dollar the 2wd drive brings to all our faces. Yes, with full power available you have to learn how to responsibly control the truck as it’s not point and shoot like a 4wd. It’s easy to repair, plenty of aftermarket parts and maintenance is a breeze.

The only downside is that it’s not the best in tall grass so you have to mow before running in the grass, but I’ll take this trade off for being capable at the race track.

I hope this helps another parent when deciding on that first RC or an addition to the fleet like we now have!

RC Champion
    Gyros on my kids cars helped greatly.

RC Enthusiast
    Well said SlashRunner80 and I couldn't agree more.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Great write up! There are always people asking "what RC for my kids", its great to have someone with experience with kids and RC to give some good advise.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I also agree. It's the truck I taught my kid with. He's 3 and he can handle the truck running 3s lipo. Sure he crashed a couple times but these trucks are just about indestructible once you upgrade caster blocks, a arms, and driveshaft. This truck is perfect for any beginner.

RC Qualifier
    Dang your 3yr old can hold the controller? i've been waiting for my kids to be old enough to drive with me(3yr, 4.5yrs). maybe i'm behind on the eight ball... they've had a couple cheap rc's that people have gotten them for birthday or christmas, but they typically break them pretty quick. my oldest is pretty much full throttle forward even after it crashes... my youngest gets the forward/reverse, but not much on turning. i guess i just need to build them some slashes and see what happens eh...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    Dang your 3yr old can hold the controller? i've been waiting for my kids to be old enough to drive with me(3yr, 4.5yrs). maybe i'm behind on the eight ball... they've had a couple cheap rc's that people have gotten them for birthday or christmas, but they typically break them pretty quick. my oldest is pretty much full throttle forward even after it crashes... my youngest gets the forward/reverse, but not much on turning. i guess i just need to build them some slashes and see what happens eh...
    He just zips up and down the street for the most part. Took him to a run down track a couple times and he does great (not doing full laps but getting a corner or two in and some jumps). My 9 year old daughter on the other hand is one of those full throttle or no throttle people and prefers to drive in reverse lol. These trucks take it like a champ though.

Good review!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like your doing it right, having fun. It's a blast to get out with the family/kids and run the trucks. Even my daughter that don't like rc's she even has a fun time if we're hiking with them. Good thing I got more than 3, lol.

RC Competitor
    Thank you! It’s been fun to pass on the hobby and have my father out with us. The kids started by watching me fly in the backyard and then had a few cheap-o rc cars give to them. I wanted to find a way they could get involved and it not break the bank. As for teaching them I’d let them do donuts for several minutes to get the need for speed out and then we would play follow the leader. Letting them get out the play helps to then allow some teaching momemts. A cheap set of soccer cones makes for a quick course to race around.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    I think you should get them a brushed slash and use it with a 6 cell nimh. Can't break that nor is it hard to drive. My brother is 6 and drives his Bandit up and down the street at 45mph lol. Almost hit a car and a few people first time he went full throttle. No biggie lol

RC Enthusiast

I joined just to post this :D

Quote Originally Posted by SlashRunner80 View Post
    Iíve been lurking now for almost a year after purchasing 2 Slash 2wdís for my kids last Christmas. I wanted to share my experience as a parent for other parents.

The 2wd Slash is the perfect choice for that first RC Truck. Weíve played follow the leader, raced, and even hiking trail crawled in the mountains of NC with them. They now go almost everywhere with us when we think we can play outdoors.

The best feature is 50% throttle mode as this has allowed my kids to develop good driving habits, learn how to control the truck coming towards them, and even a friendly Grandpa/Dad racing even that makes it more about the best driving line and perfection vs. speed.

We didnít go for LiPoís as I have these for my scale crawler and drones. For traveling I have several packs and two chargers. You canít go wrong with a couple chargers and having one mulit-chemistry is the next best purchase after the truck.

The best part is the smiles per dollar the 2wd drive brings to all our faces. Yes, with full power available you have to learn how to responsibly control the truck as itís not point and shoot like a 4wd. Itís easy to repair, plenty of aftermarket parts and maintenance is a breeze.

The only downside is that itís not the best in tall grass so you have to mow before running in the grass, but Iíll take this trade off for being capable at the race track.

I hope this helps another parent when deciding on that first RC or an addition to the fleet like we now have!
    I literally joined this forum to be able to respond. I am just now getting back into RC after a few years of hate/hate relationship with nitros and leaving the hobby as 'too fiddly'. My GF is kinda a country girl and loves trucks, but has never turned an RC wheel in her life. So, I found a couple of used Slash 2WD RTR's from Craigslist, fixed a couple of broken driveshafts, and boom, off we went.

In 'training' (50%) mode, they are just about perfect for brand new drivers. She's put 4 hours in already, with plenty of smaller jumps, just learning the ropes. Not a single part broken, or even close. These trucks are rugged if driven reasonably, cheap, durable, and teach good RC vehicle control habits.

I wouldn't hesitate to put anyone behind the wheel of one of these, kids included. When my 14 year old daughter comes out next, you better believe she too will have her first RC experience.

Thanks for posting that. It sure is good to be back in RC.

Cheers!

RC Competitor
    Very cool Panzoguy and welcome back! A lot like my background where I messed with nitro buggies. All that red loctite and still lost nuts and bolts every run.

Craigslist around here has been a good spot to find used RC’s as you can negotiate more...plus cash in hand helps persuade. I’ve started working with my son on 100% power and throttle control. He’s having a tough time staying the track and keeping the truck pointed forwarded... which is the cool part about 2wd trucks. Throttle management is so much more important to keep the rear end behind the truck vs. a 4wd.

Keep racing the Slashes and definitely bring your daughter in on the fun!

RC poster
    I am a newbie to RC and trying to decide between the 2WD or 4WD Slash VXL versions for my 10 year old son (and secretly for myself too...lol). What is everyone's thoughts between the two? I have been looking for a thread that compared the two.

RC Competitor
    Thatís a tough one as they arenít apples to apples. The 2wd brushed version... not even the VXL version, is a monster on the track without good throttle discipline. The 4wd helps to contain that and keep the truck pointing the way you want it to go with additional power..... to a point though. Where are you planning to run the truck? Also do you currently have a truck to race with your son? If not you will want one soon as thatís the best fun when bashing the two Slashes together as a family.

The 2wd has a super simple drivetrain so repair is easy to repair. The 4wd on the slash is probably one of the easiest of the 4wd SCTís on the market. In the end they are both great trucks.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmandy View Post
    I am a newbie to RC and trying to decide between the 2WD or 4WD Slash VXL versions for my 10 year old son (and secretly for myself too...lol). What is everyone's thoughts between the two? I have been looking for a thread that compared the two.
    How mechanically inclined are you? The 2WD are about as dead simple to diagnose and repair as it gets. The 4WD version is not much more difficult, it's just that there are a few more parts and things to go wrong in the drivetrain. If you are ok with screwdrivers and surfing the internet for some basic direction, you'll be fine. They will both break, count on it. Ease of maintenance and repair - slight edge to the 2WD.

How attentive and under control is your son? Doesn't impact the buying decision much, but it is a factor. If he is well controlled and listens well, you'll be in better shape. If he's a wild one, I'd recommend the 2WD only because when he breaks something it'll be easier to fix.

What do you plan to do with it? 2WD is perfectly fine and can actually teach driving skills in a way that 4WD doesn't. If you live in a snowy area, you'll understand what I mean. RC is the same way. Both are great fun on grass, dirt, or gravel for backyard bashing, but neither will be particularly competitive out of the box for racing at an organized event. They can race, sure, but there are better kits out there that are highly specialized for racing.

Cost - the 4WD versions are a bit easier to drive for a rookie and do have better traction overall. That comes at a pretty big bump in price, though. To me, I don't run in snow or super slick stuff so I prefer the lighter weight and realistic vehicle physics that the 2WD platform provides. Teaches you about weight transfer, traction, all sorts of useful things for the real world...about 6 years from now LOL. 2WD will run you roughly 100 dollars less to start.

Last thing would be flexibility of the platform. Both 2WD and 4WD can be converted from the base truck to other things down the line - from drag cars to buggies to on road cars. However, the 4WD platform is more flexible overall in terms of the parts and kits that would allow you to change the base vehicle easily.

Go grab what your budget can afford and go have fun with your boy. You will absolutely fall in love with it and I practically guarantee he will too. So much more satisfying than a video game to be outside with your kids just spending time together. IMO.

Best of luck - just go enjoy it!

RC poster
    Thanks for all the feedback. I went with the 2WD. I am used to repairs with my hotrods/street cars so sounds like this will be similar on a smaller scale...the more you thrash, the more you fix. Lol. I think there is a lot he can learn that will translate to full size toys later. Now if he breaks it on day one, I can see the stink eye coming from my wife on the cost of toy for 10 year old hellion. Wish me luck!

RC poster
    We are beginners (all of us) and we seem to have a lot of broken parts with a steep learning curve. Currently our bellcrank is broken. I read that going with aluminum bellcrank increases the likelihood of servo damage. Is that correct? Any advice on replacements? Thanks!
    Last edited by rc4jao; 12-31-2017 at 07:35 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashHappy View Post
    I also agree. It's the truck I taught my kid with. He's 3 and he can handle the truck running 3s lipo. Sure he crashed a couple times but these trucks are just about indestructible once you upgrade caster blocks, a arms, and driveshaft. This truck is perfect for any beginner.
    Can you tell me more? We purchased a slash for our 11 year old for Christmas. It seems like he breaks something every 5 minutes. We were wondering if there are certain parts that are more likely to break that we should either upgrade or just have several on hand. We live 45 minutes from our nearest RC store and, of course, it is frustrating for him that his new toy is out of commission. Currently, we have a broken bellcrank so we know we need to replace that. Thanks for any help.

RC Competitor
    Hi rc4jao,

Welcome to the hobby. The alum. bellcrank setup eliminates the servo saver so you would need to go with the Savox metal gear upgrade and would recommend staying with the stock for bashing. A couple questions, what battery are you using in your slash? You may want to put the truck into training mode till your 11 year old gets the hang of driving. Where are you guys running the truck? Also the extreme cold temps make the plastic on all RC’s a little more brittle so becareful of that.
    Last edited by SlashRunner80; 12-31-2017 at 09:27 PM.

RC poster
    I have owned a 2wd slash for 10 years and I havent broken much. A good extra is spur gears and clutch parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    T-Maxx 4910/2 Slash

RC Competitor
    rc4jao,
    Welcome to the hobby. From my experience, twin 8yr olds with 2wd slashes, I would get a set or two of rpm bearing carriers (front and rear), some trx or strx caster blocks, replacement king pins for the caster blocks if the current ones are already bent, Aluminum Shock caps, 4wd/vxl bell cranks, and the savox metal gear set to replace the plastic servo gears in the 2075. These are the parts ive swapped out on their trucks as things broke. I have not had many failures at all after making these changes, but I take them racing and accident do happen. Now my boys are younger and the learning curve was pretty steep in the beginning, especially until they realized that demo derby wasnt always a good idea. At some point getting a set of strc captured hinge pins will save you some grief instead of having to see which pins are backing themselves out all the time. I or others on here can get you part numbers and or other reccomendations. Its a lot of fun especially once you are prepared for potential failures.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rc4jao View Post
    Can you tell me more? We purchased a slash for our 11 year old for Christmas. It seems like he breaks something every 5 minutes. We were wondering if there are certain parts that are more likely to break that we should either upgrade or just have several on hand. We live 45 minutes from our nearest RC store and, of course, it is frustrating for him that his new toy is out of commission. Currently, we have a broken bellcrank so we know we need to replace that. Thanks for any help.
    If it is cold (well below freezing) plastic doesn't have the regular flex and gets brittle and breaks(best not to drive in freezing conditions). But caster blocks(aluminum), a arms(rpm plastic), and driveshafts(cvd or steel spine) are the biggies. Also a lot of people recommend aluminum shock caps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Happy New Year by the way

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashHappy View Post
    If it is cold (well below freezing) plastic doesn't have the regular flex and gets brittle and breaks(best not to drive in freezing conditions). But caster blocks(aluminum), a arms(rpm plastic), and driveshafts(cvd or steel spine) are the biggies. Also a lot of people recommend aluminum shock caps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Happy New Year by the way
    +1 on using training mode. +1 on aluminum shock caps.

The biggest thing is discouraging hitting things.

RC Enthusiast

Thank you, plus a new question...

SlashRunner80, thank you for the original post and follow-up feedback. Itís great to hear about everyonesí experiences with the original post in mind, especially yours Panozguy and Jmandy as those relate to my situation.

In my case, my 8 year old has been saving up for his first hobby grade RC vehicle and has his sights set on a 2wd Slash (the Gunk model.) I was wondering if this would be a good first RC for him and it sounds like it will be. Heíll be running it on roads, grass (parks, sports fields, etc) gravel and trails. Heís good at taking care of his gear so itís unlikely heíll destroy it... especially since he has gone to the effort to save up for it.

What Iím now wondering is if I too should get a Slash so that we can rip around together? It sounds like itís great fun. (I have returned to RC after many years away and recently picked up a TRX-4, but itís is a totally different beast than a Slash.)

My question: If Iím thinking of getting a Slash, is it advisable (for the sake of being fun and equal) to get a base 2wd model similar to my sonís, or should I be considering one of the higher spec 2wd models like the VXL Brushless w/ TSM, so that I can have more options available for my driving? Iím not speed hungry, but the TSM does seem appealing to me, especially since it seems to be adjustable... I can see wanting it on or off at various times. I havenít had a brushless motor before either, so Iím thinking this might be a good intro to having one. (And should I be considering the OBA model for the fun effect, or is it it overrated?)
    Iím curious to hear what you folks think.

Thanks!
    New TRX-4 owner as of Jan 2018!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    SlashRunner80, thank you for the original post and follow-up feedback. Itís great to hear about everyonesí experiences with the original post in mind, especially yours Panozguy and Jmandy as those relate to my situation.

In my case, my 8 year old has been saving up for his first hobby grade RC vehicle and has his sights set on a 2wd Slash (the Gunk model.) I was wondering if this would be a good first RC for him and it sounds like it will be. Heíll be running it on roads, grass (parks, sports fields, etc) gravel and trails. Heís good at taking care of his gear so itís unlikely heíll destroy it... especially since he has gone to the effort to save up for it.

What Iím now wondering is if I too should get a Slash so that we can rip around together? It sounds like itís great fun. (I have returned to RC after many years away and recently picked up a TRX-4, but itís is a totally different beast than a Slash.)

My question: If Iím thinking of getting a Slash, is it advisable (for the sake of being fun and equal) to get a base 2wd model similar to my sonís, or should I be considering one of the higher spec 2wd models like the VXL Brushless w/ TSM, so that I can have more options available for my driving? Iím not speed hungry, but the TSM does seem appealing to me, especially since it seems to be adjustable... I can see wanting it on or off at various times. I havenít had a brushless motor before either, so Iím thinking this might be a good intro to having one. (And should I be considering the OBA model for the fun effect, or is it it overrated?)
    Iím curious to hear what you folks think.

Thanks!
    I would chip in and pay for an equal truck for my son that I would buy for myself unless you plan on getting something completely different like a Nitro Slash.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I would chip in and pay for an equal truck for my son that I would buy for myself unless you plan on getting something completely different like a Nitro Slash.
    Certainly, there is something to be said for having equal vehicles (although there goes my advantage!). I have considered surprising him by pitching in to pay the difference between his 2wd Gunk model him up to a 2wd VXL w/TSM, so this indeed an option (especially if having a TSM in a kid’s first RC could have its advantages)...
    or...
    Should I keep things simple for both of us, being our first bashers, and just get a basic 2wd Slash like he is? (Or is it likely that I will want brushless and TSM soon enough?)

(The other catch is that, being an 8 year old boy, he loves that the basic 2wd Slash says “Gunk” on it, so if I pitch in to get him up to a VXL w/TSM, I’d need to find that Gunk body somehow.)

RC Qualifier
    Pay the extra for the VXL now, it's easy to upgrade the other stuff later. From what I've heard the brushed motors don't last long. Going brushless later is not inexpensive.

RC poster
    I got the very basic model for my 9 year old and I, and told him as long as he cleans it post bash I will buy him replacements whenever he breaks stuff. I am also taking the opportunity for him to learn mechanics, so we fix the stuff together. Last night we replaced our shocks with the big bore together. I am absolutely glad I bought the bottom level and will slowly upgrade together. Doing the brushless upgrade later will teach him about power connections, tracing electronic cables, etc.... Possibly saudering depending on the motor/esc combo

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Pay the extra for the VXL now, it's easy to upgrade the other stuff later. From what I've heard the brushed motors don't last long. Going brushless later is not inexpensive.

The stock Titan 12t can last awhile if maintained correctly but a long time is only 2 years but for the price($12-$13avg) that is wonderful.

RC Competitor
    Great questions, welcome.... Iíve recently purchased a used 4wd Stampede with the Traxxas brushless system and really like it as well. Really you need to look at your budget as getting a quality battery charger or two and couple extra batteries needs to be considered as well. Those items are can get over looked in the excitement of buying the trucks and makes a huge difference in the whole RC experience.

Weíve had great luck with the XL5 brushed trucks and now a bandit along with the brushless. With some simple care the brushed system will last a while and are pretty cheap to replace in a pinch. The brushless motors are rebuildable (new bearings) and as long as they are not over-heated or over-powered can last a lifetime of the truck. I donít think you could go wrong either way. The Slashes make for some good bashing sessions due to the wide frame and bumpers on all four sides.

I would second getting equal trucks as that way thereís no inequality between you two as it never fails I end up with the slower truck or less flashy one , but I love that my kids recognize the difference. The best part is getting out and spending time with the kids and teaching them how to maintain and be responsible for something.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    The stock Titan 12t can last awhile if maintained correctly but a long time is only 2 years but for the price($12-$13avg) that is wonderful.
    Heh heh, I have 5 Titan 12ts on my shelf right now. Two of the 12ts are unused for stock class.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the thoughts guy! After some more consideration we’ve gone for the 2WD VXL w/TSM models, and I did indeed chip in to get him from the regular Slash up to the ones we chose. It was quite a feat for him to save up even enough for the regular 2WD model, so it’s nice to reward him for his efforts. I strongly suspect the TSM will be experimented with and enjoyed (by both of us.)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the thoughts guy! After some more consideration weíve gone for the 2WD VXL w/TSM models, and I did indeed chip in to get him from the regular Slash up to the ones we chose. It was quite a feat for him to save up even enough for the regular 2WD model, so itís nice to reward him for his efforts. I strongly suspect the TSM will be experimented with and enjoyed (by both of us.)
    You made the right choice, you'll both be happy. I know because I did the same thing.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Neil,

Congrats on the new TRX-4

RC Qualifier
    If you put the Slash in training mode and the TRX-4 on 3S they might be equal.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    If you put the Slash in training mode and the TRX-4 on 3S they might be equal.
    Now THAT would be something! When I get my hands on a 3S I’ll give it try on a straightaway. I have a feeling that turning the TRX-4 at speed would quickly reveal its weakness.

RC Qualifier
    Now THAT would be something! When I get my hands on a 3S I’ll give it try on a straightaway. I have a feeling that turning the TRX-4 at speed would quickly reveal its weakness.
    Actually it's pretty stable at speeds and cornering with all the diffs unlocked. This is just common sense but DON'T EVER TRY CRAWL IN HIGH GEAR.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.