RC poster

Battery Options and performance specs

At the outset, I'm sorry that this question has probably been asked a thousand times. But I can't seem to find an answer more-recent than like 2015.

I have joined enlightened masses and purchased an E-Revo 1/10 brushless (SO EXCITED!), and I have a couple questions about the batteries. Again, I do apologize if these questions are tired.

1. What is the usual run-time of the ERBE? I have two Traxxas Powercell 2-cell "ID" 7600 LiPo's which I use in my Slash, and I'm wondering what the general runtime of the erbe is.
    2. If I wanted to go to 3-cell, what's the usual run-time on a decent 3-cell? I'm assuming the Traxxas ID 5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery.
    3. I make an assumption that the Traxxas batteries are the best batteries to use. Is this correct? Or is there a better, or more-recommended battery than these?

RC Racer
    Don't get a traxxas battery. The puff way to easy. I run onyx 2s 5000 35c and venom 5000 35c 3s. The onyx is 2 years and working great. The venom is brand new. Venom has a great warranty. If they puff before 1 year of purchase they replace it for free. If it is after 1 year they give you 20-30% off a new battery. I had 2 venoms that weren't powerful enough for my slash and they puffed each at about one year. The first one they said was over a year but it wasn't powerful enough for my slash so they hooked me up with a 80$ battery for 32$. It is one of the 5000 35c 3s. The other one that puffed they gave me the 80$ battery for free. Very great warranty and battery.
    I run dual 3s or dual 2s in my slash. The 3s lasts about 45min and the 2s lasts about 50min. 35c is plea th of power for a erevo.
    My neighbor has 4 traxxas lipos and 3 of the 4 puffed despite him using a traxxas if charger set on balance and lipo mode. Traxxas batteries are also overpriced. I'm sorry traxxas but your lipos aren't the best. Although traxxas does make great nimh batteries.

Stay away from traxxas batteries. I had one that was defective after a few runs and 2 puffed on me. Traxxas did replace all 3 for free so they did a great job of getting me replacements but wish I didn't have to hassle with waiting and one time sending in for a replacement. My next set of batteries are going to be SMC racing. I have heard nothing but great things about SMC.

RC Racer
    Zuma get venom or onyx

RC Racer
    I'm got two sets of SMC and for the money they do well. I got 2s and 3s sets. The 3s 6700mah 90c which fit tight and there's almost no room for the balance plug. Some reason I don't see them on their site any more. They were an new item made for the E-Revo. Run times are around 40 min. Get the hightest C rating you can afford. Make sure they fit.>>> http://gmarquee98.x10host.com/myPics...asurements.jpg http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_99
    Last edited by Forrest; 10-25-2017 at 03:33 AM.

SMC all the way! Devoted to bringing you the highest quality matched cells at a darn good price. Do some research on the company and you'll be sold on spending your money with them. I have the 2s lipos designed for the ERBE and a full charge will net me 30 to 45 minutes run time (all depends on terrain and what mode I'm in at the time).
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    I'm got two sets of SMC and for the money they do well. I got 2s and 3s sets. The 3s 6700mah 90c which fit tight and there's almost no room for the balance plug. Some reason I don't see them on their site any more. They were an new item made for the E-Revo. Run times are around 40 min. Get the hightest C rating you can afford. Make sure they fit.>>> http://gmarquee98.x10host.com/myPics...asurements.jpg http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_99
    So, I got an update about the 3s 6700mah batteries. They will back but they are changing factories at the moment. They aren't sure when we will get these from the new factory.

RC poster
    I'm actually glad inposted this. I have 2 traxxas 2cell 7600 and they puffed a little bit. I thought it was normal for lipo(I haven't raced an rc in 25 years). But after reading this and looking it up I see that it's actually dangerous and I probably shouldn't use the batteries anymore. Thank you for the tips.

RC Racer
    Puffing scares me. From what I've heard very small amount of puff is ok and I have run batteries like that. Now I have been retiring those batteries. I take a 12volt light bulb and discharge them for day in the yard. No worries if they catch on fire out there.

I dont claim to be a expert but have a lot of lipo experience in my short 2+yrs in the hobby.

All lipos expand under normal usage. There's a difference between this and swelling or puffing. Swelling or puffing refers to a cell or multiple cells expanding to the point that they break or casing they are in.

While lipos have the potential to release energy in an unwanted fashion you shouldnt be scared of them or get rid of them. They are actually pretty safe. Like gas or jet fuel have same risks but we still drive and fly places. Ive taken good cells from different batts and made one good battery out of them as well as fixed balance leads. Ive even accidentally caused a pretty big arc for longer than i care to admit from crossing wires on same batt and it didnt explode. (Thankfully lol). You use your phone and keep it within inches of your skin all day long, what kind of battery does your phone use? Lol.

All that to say, under normal usage, lipos are perfectly safe imo and experience. I actually have 4 more since that pic was taken lol.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    Most people I talk to recommend gens ace.

RC Competitor
    I have seen both good and bad reviews on SMC batteries, and traxxas batteries. Gens ace, Onyx, and venom seem to be pretty reliable. I personally have been using reaction and just last week bought 2 electron pro's that seam to lay the juice down pretty good. Seams to me the more expensive a lipo BRAND is, the better the warranty and support, I personally believe storage, lipo cutoff etc. are key factors as to how they hold up.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    I dont claim to be a expert but have a lot of lipo experience in my short 2+yrs in the hobby.

All lipos expand under normal usage. There's a difference between this and swelling or puffing. Swelling or puffing refers to a cell or multiple cells expanding to the point that they break or casing they are in.

While lipos have the potential to release energy in an unwanted fashion you shouldnt be scared of them or get rid of them. They are actually pretty safe. Like gas or jet fuel have same risks but we still drive and fly places. Ive taken good cells from different batts and made one good battery out of them as well as fixed balance leads. Ive even accidentally caused a pretty big arc for longer than i care to admit from crossing wires on same batt and it didnt explode. (Thankfully lol). You use your phone and keep it within inches of your skin all day long, what kind of battery does your phone use? Lol.

All that to say, under normal usage, lipos are perfectly safe imo and experience. I actually have 4 more since that pic was taken lol.

WOW ! That's a LOT of Batteries !

Planning to get 2 SMC Batteries for my ERBE pretty soon !

Thank's !

I run the SMC 9000mah and 9500mah 2S packs in my ERBE. I average 35-45 minutes with them. 35 at a park with more WOT runs and 45 at a skatepark with a lot of short bursts and jumps. I time every single run.

I currently have t-maxx 3.3 tires/wheels on it. Heavier tires/wheels will shorten runtimes.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraton View Post
    WOW ! That's a LOT of Batteries !

Planning to get 2 SMC Batteries for my ERBE pretty soon !

Thank's !
    When you have 9 rc's and 5 of them take 2 batts each....

Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I know the feeling and I only have 4 electrics. lol

Got 4 more in the drawer... I need to replace a couple as after a year, they are getting tired. The first 2 SMC 9000mah 2S packs I bought last Christmas for my ERBE.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster

, the people in the rc world just could not stop buying.