Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    + one to that! Very solid.....
    Choose Life !!!

I think part of my problem is the nyloc nut. Think it got a lil warm n melted. So wen i adjusted this last time, i used locktite on it. Havnt had a chance to run it in a few days, been workin o/t

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

I think part of my problem is the nyloc nut. Think it got a lil warm n melted. So wen i adjusted this last time, i used locktite on it. Havnt had a chance to run it in a few days, been workin o/t

I relied on mine one time and one time only, with a brand new tranny PL.. Dang nut came loose n guess you know what happened next. Well maybe you don't. Dang Spur gear stripped out on me where it slips on the yoke. Am running on lock down down now but may try 9/64ths loose...haha Mine would always have loctite on it if...................................

I bet a good solid stainless steel nut with loctite of course, would work better than the what did you call it? Nylok I never could figure how plastic can lock a nut in place.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I relied on mine one time and one time only, with a brand new tranny PL.. Dang nut came loose n guess you know what happened next. Well maybe you don't. Dang Spur gear stripped out on me where it slips on the yoke. Am running on lock down down now but may try 9/64ths loose...haha Mine would always have loctite on it if...................................

I bet a good solid stainless steel nut with loctite of course, would work better than the what did you call it? Nylok I never could figure how plastic can lock a nut in place.
    The plastic in the nut is kinda tapered. So wen its tightened down, it gets a good grip on threads. But after on n off enuf times or it gets to warm, its no good anymore. I tightened mine all the way down n backed it of 1/16th turn. Hopefully i get off at a decent hr tomorrow n i can throw a batt in her n see how much it helped. That is if it doesnt rain...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ring and pinion will be installed tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Ring and pinion will be installed tomorrow
    Been raining cats and dogs, on and off here for three days. Will be patiently waiting for the results Grip.
    Choose Life !!!

Well i managed to get a short run in before the rain starts. It dun great, less than half throttle n it was pullin wheelies. Definantly gotta get metal axles lol. It pulled the joint apart at the pivot ball. Didnt rip the holes, just popped it out. But with the slipper adjusted 1/16 out from tight n the vxl r/ps, theres no clickin/grindin. Think the xl5 r/p just wasnt up for the BL power. So next upgrades for the p4de are (atleast front) axles, if not full set n the spiral r/p (front n rear)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Look at the wear on this ring gear. Iím so proud. No doubt it was the issue.

Look at the wear on this ring gear. Iím so proud. No doubt it was the issue.
    Dang grip, that just shows how much fun u have lol. But does look like the guilty culprit

Dang again Bama! Grip! I thought they were 2 different animals. One for xl5 and other VXL.. Gee ma nee crickets. I would love to be fixin my diff right now with F/R new spiral r/p. Hmmm That gives me an idea. Will Order tonight....Gotta love it. Aw heck I might even put in my db while I'm at it.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dang again Bama! Grip! I thought they were 2 different animals. One for xl5 and other VXL.. Gee ma nee crickets. I would love to be fixin my diff right now with F/R new spiral r/p. Hmmm That gives me an idea. Will Order tonight....Gotta love it. Aw heck I might even put in my db while I'm at it.
    Since the ring and pinion came to me used, I really donít know how long they lasted. Iím just gonna run the stock and see what happens. I think theyíre plenty tough. Weíll see

Since the ring and pinion came to me used, I really donít know how long they lasted. Iím just gonna run the stock and see what happens. I think theyíre plenty tough. Weíll see
    I think the vxl r/p will help alot grip. Mine hasnt made any noise like it did before i swapped them out. I think they have a better tighter mesh, plus the teeth are a bit bigger givin more contact than the xl5s lil teeth

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    I think the vxl r/p will help alot grip. Mine hasnt made any noise like it did before i swapped them out. I think they have a better tighter mesh, plus the teeth are a bit bigger givin more contact than the xl5s lil teeth

When I got mine it had no noise. I donít think the tooth count makes a difference. The pitch is the same.

So i have been doing a bit of research on the Helical gears. I seems that the main reason they are used in 1.1 cars is for the noise factor. Straight gears are louder, thus using them in passenger cars. Helical gears are stronger but the mesh can be a bit difficult to get exactly right and also put undo stress on the bearings due to more thrust. So the question from me would be. Do i really care about the noise factor? Not really. Do I want to replace my bearing's more often, due to the extra thrust? Not really.

So now I am wondering if it is worth buying the Helical gears. I think I will just keep the straight unless someone can convince me that helical gears are better all the way around..... just sayin!

Here is the vxl gear. Looks the same as the xl-5.. I could surely be wrong though... This pic was taken before i beefed it up with the e revo cup and X01 blocks.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-19-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like the noise

Heard that! I am all ears on it!
    Choose Life !!!

Bama My friend! Waiting for ya to chime in on this. Trust me I am not against helical gears but would love to hear from someone that is installing them. Maybe they are worth, paying for new bearings cause heck that could be awhile before they go bad.. And maybe they won't. depending how you drive plus you never know till ya try. bearings come pretty cheap....
    Choose Life !!!

Bama My friend! Waiting for ya to chime in on this. Trust me I am not against helical gears but would love to hear from someone that is installing them. Maybe they are worth, paying for new bearings cause heck that could be awhile before they go bad.. And maybe they won't. depending how you drive plus you never know till ya try. bearings come pretty cheap....
    Im still here brother. Im pinchin my pennies. Goina give them a shot soon. Im thinkin if i go helical, i may upgrade diff cup to aluminum lol. Idk, just sounds good. Like u said, bearings arent that expensive n theyre rather easy to change if need be. But, if the helicals cause alot of torque, would it be smart to upgrade diff house to the xo-1? I found the rear diff house for xo-1 in aluminum not to long ago... So many options...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    Im still here brother. Im pinchin my pennies. Goina give them a shot soon. Im thinkin if i go helical, i may upgrade diff cup to aluminum lol. Idk, just sounds good. Like u said, bearings arent that expensive n theyre rather easy to change if need be. But, if the helicals cause alot of torque, would it be smart to upgrade diff house to the xo-1? I found the rear diff house for xo-1 in aluminum not to long ago... So many options...

Helical gears wonít make torque. Thatís impossible. I learned about straight cut gears for WRXís. Tranny drops, get new straight gears. Louder and stronger.

Helical gears wonít make torque. Thatís impossible. I learned about straight cut gears for WRXís. Tranny drops, get new straight gears. Louder and stronger.
    The torque i was referin to was the thrust on the bearings lektro mentioned. Im still tossin the idea around in my head as to whether im goina do it or not. Sinve puttin the vxl r/p in, it hasnt made any noises. It seems alot stronger as far as the diffs go. Ive broke one stoke front n pulled the joint out of the stub on another. But i was able to put it back together lol. I need to upgrade the fronts now, but i cant find another pair of axles like i have on the rear

Thrust is a propelling force, the reaction of the applied force according to Newton's 3rd law. therefore more force against bearings. However, torque is the force that rotates an object around an axis or a fixed point. ..no force against bearings. Torque is the force responsible for rotation.

I would say no doubt the X-01 diffs will help more so with the torque.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-19-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So now I have no more noise. Even doing my version of self righting. Happy camper here.

Good to hear Grip! Only noise you hear now is good noise!
    Choose Life !!!

looks like I'm gonna have to get my self a "project truck" of my own!
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    GTRís and 60wt oil installed. Mucho bueno.

Well used Big bores.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got a chance to run the P4de. The GTRís are night and day better than the big bores. Dampening is so much better. Just soaks up jumps, and corners so much better. It youíre considering it, do it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well had my first 2075 servo failure. Had a PowerHd 13kg in it, it was not good. Swapped back to the 2075, not too many runs later the plastic gears stripped. Went with a 20kg Waterproof metal geared PowerHd.

RC Competitor
    Well had my first 2075 servo failure. Had a PowerHd 13kg in it, it was not good. Swapped back to the 2075, not too many runs later the plastic gears stripped. Went with a 20kg Waterproof metal geared PowerHd.
    I'd say get the savox metal gears for it (like ten bucks or so) and you'll be set but too late. Powerhd servos seem nice. My 23kg one has not had any issues.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CeleryMan View Post
    I'd say get the savox metal gears for it (like ten bucks or so) and you'll be set but too late. Powerhd servos seem nice. My 23kg one has not had any issues.
    Good point, they can be somewhat hard though find, and in reality I didnít want to mess with them. The new servo is 23 bills to the door.

RC Racer
    Grip, sent you a PM, if you dont mind checking.
    ---Greg---

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Servo installed. Also put rear springs on the front. The front sagged fully preloaded. Itís great now. Ready to bash. Servo is strong, .16 transit, so not fast but itís fast enough for this vehicle.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234