Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    I got curious lol. According to the r/p set i found for the p4de vxl, xo-1, revo 3.3 etc are stock replacements. Only difference is one is straight tooth, the other is helical (spiral).

Ill keep yall posted wen i get around to shimmin the rear pinion lol. Hoepully i can come up with somethin simple to help us all lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
    So after I reinstalled my original setup
    With the Center shaft slop removed my ring/pinion mesh is much better. Not perfect. Iíll get the gears replaced and report back.

Nice and I know you are going for the spiral cut. I would like to get my question answered here. I have noticed on some spiral cuts, They seemed to have more spiral. Are all spirals created equal as far as performance? Please Tell Grip! Bama!
    Choose Life !!!

Wat exactly did u do grip? I was thinkin earlier... Wat bout a shim between the slipper n bearing in rear diff? It would push the bearing n pinion back to get a better mesh. As far as the spiral, i think theyre all the same curve unless there are more/less teeth. That would be only reason to change the curve of the teeth

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wat exactly did u do grip? I was thinkin earlier... Wat bout a shim between the slipper n bearing in rear diff? It would push the bearing n pinion back to get a better mesh. As far as the spiral, i think theyre all the same curve unless there are more/less teeth. That would be only reason to change the curve of the teeth

I added more rubber o rings to the cups the Center driveshaft mounts in. This took out the slop in the slipper back and forth movement. It effectively keeps pressure on the pinion. Like I said not perfect though. Yet

Grip are you saying one teflon washer lock's it up????

Thanks Bama! I was wondering cause i looked at many pics and saw may different designs.......
    Last edited by lektro; 05-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Grip are you saying one teflon washer lock's it up????

Thanks Bama! I was wondering cause i looked at many pics and saw may different designs.......
    I donít know what washer you could possibly be taking about

Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Where though?

Well Now that you say that. I must be confused as to where your problem is. I think I have some homework to do which is reading this whole thread over again. I guess I don't have all my fact's in a row.

Is this where you have slop?
    Last edited by lektro; 05-11-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Well Now that you say that. I must be confused as to where your problem is. I think I have some homework to do which is reading this whole thread over again. I guess I don't have all my fact's in a row.

Is this where you have slop?
    Thats where i was talkin bout puttin a washer. Rite there between pinion n front bearing. Just enuf to take the slack out n tighten the mesh

I thought this might be the case and I see now why Grip was questioning my washer suggestion. It simply will not fit. I can see where the glow plug washer may fit but could possibly make it to tight. You did the X0-1 conversion didn't you Bama? I did and have not run my p4de since i did. Is this when the problems started? Am curious now and was yours an XL-5? I am going to do some research also and see if I can find a washer that will work.

So correct me if I am wrong Grip. You put an extra o ring on either side, Inside or outside of the shaft? I ask, because this is where the teflon washer's would work also. I think lol

Sorry for all the questions. I just love finding solutions no matter what the reason might be.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Yeah, i dun the xo-1 mod. But it seems to me its the r/p not the spider gears. But any solution to fix it would be awesome

I have the bearing in front of me and the ID is 10mm and the OD is 15mm. You think these will work?

HMMM must be the wrong bearing I have....The bearing in the exploded view says 12 x 18.... I can find many shims 12x18 but that would not work as you want to shim to hit the inside sleeve of the bearing and not the outside. I guess it could be filed or grinded down to where it does not contact the outside of the bearing.

This shows they do exist, not sure about the price though.

https://www.ebay.com/i/282911825832?chn=ps
    Last edited by lektro; 05-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have the bearing in front of me and the ID is 10mm and the OD is 15mm. You think these will work?

HMMM must be the wrong bearing I have....The bearing in the exploded view says 12 x 18
    I just have never seen a washer that big used in an RC car. It may work but it should not be necessary to fab up something with that ID and OD

I have not either and you are right. You should not have to shim it out, unless over time you get some slop in it. I don't see how that could happen to be honest, but you never know. My research is done. At least until I hear your results after getting your new r/p gears installed and Grip tested.
    Choose Life !!!

Can you believe I have not run my p4de yet. 6 months I think or more. I have one last thing I want to do with my fans and am done. I promise It will get it's tire's dirty very soon. Excited about Sunday.......Trust me though! I will be staying good and clear of the 2 tires in the field....a promise.......
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Part number 6778 ordered. Iíll report back when installed

There you go Bama! post 93 shows you the shims. Almost any thickness you desire. May even find sumtin local......For that price are for stainless steel.....geepers..... most bee 100 in a pack.

Now that I am thinking about. I probably wouldn't go stainless. Too hard if you have to do any filing.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-11-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Ok, im doin some maintanence today. Yellow rag is front diff, green is rear. Spiders look good, ring n pinions look good. Although, i did find some metal shavings in front housing, but no signs of wear that i can see. But i am goina swap out r/p from the fine tooth to the courser tooth (goina use one im pointing at). We'll see how that goes as far as the clickin/grindin noise goes. Still goina upgrade to the spiral r/p later

Ok, im doin some maintanence today. Yellow rag is front diff, green is rear. Spiders look good, ring n pinions look good. Although, i did find some metal shavings in front housing, but no signs of wear that i can see. But i am goina swap out r/p from the fine tooth to the courser tooth (goina use one im pointing at). We'll see how that goes as far as the clickin/grindin noise goes. Still goina upgrade to the spiral r/p later
    The larger and smaller teeth must be that way for a reason. Maybe the smaller would give more or most likely less revolutions than the larger? Are you swapping the pinion along with it?

Just curious if this will affect the handling? Probably not that much, if any. Not a biggie as you are replacing them anyhow.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-13-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

The larger and smaller teeth must be that way for a reason. Maybe the smaller would give more or most likely less revolutions than the larger? Are you swapping the pinion along with it?
    Yeah, u have to swap the pinion out. One is the xl5 n the other is for the vxl, but i dont remember which is which lol. Goin to the bigger teeth, the ring doesnt have as much offset. So the pinion is bigger. Im hoping it solves the clickin noise n maybe itll b a lil quicker lol. Im goina go try it out here in just a bit. Ill let u know if it did. I didnt shim the rear yet either, but i did leave the glo-plug washer shim in front diff

Not that it matters but I would say the larger gears would be for the VXL cause of the extra power. That is just a guess lol. Hope it works out for ya. I was going out this weekend but the sun is a bit intense for me today. I do not like hot weather, especially with the humidity....
    Choose Life !!!

Not that it matters but I would say the larger gears would be for the VXL cause of the extra power. That is just a guess lol. Hope it works out for ya. I was going out this weekend but the sun is a bit intense for me today. I do not like hot weather, especially with the humidity....
    Im headin out now. I love summer time lol, id rather sweat than freeze. It says its 77 now. Its been in the high 80s low 90s almost all week

Good news n bad news fellas smh. Good news is she stands up n goes with no click or grind. But i can hear the tires grippin n spinnin lol. Bad news, ive over powered the slipper n im adjusted 1/4 turn from tight. Looks like i may go with the eliminator... Any thoughts on that? But got even more bad news lol, i broke a front axle n pulled a screw from the shock tower for the camber like. Link is easy fix, got plenty of screws. The axle on the other hand... Gotta wait for new parts. So it looks like im upgradin the fronts from plastic. Wats worse lol, gotta wait til pay day to order smh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good news n bad news fellas smh. Good news is she stands up n goes with no click or grind. But i can hear the tires grippin n spinnin lol. Bad news, ive over powered the slipper n im adjusted 1/4 turn from tight. Looks like i may go with the eliminator... Any thoughts on that? But got even more bad news lol, i broke a front axle n pulled a screw from the shock tower for the camber like. Link is easy fix, got plenty of screws. The axle on the other hand... Gotta wait for new parts. So it looks like im upgradin the fronts from plastic. Wats worse lol, gotta wait til pay day to order smh

Big tires and plastic axles donít mix.

Ive got aluminum axles on rear. The stock ones were holdin up good. I think when it cartwheeled n pulled screw out of shocktower, it broke the axle stub. Thats the 1st problem ive had with front ones bein stock. But this just gives me an excuse to upgrade lol. May get a new set for my 4x4 n put my rear aluminums on my sons 2wd

That really bites a big one about your axle. From the pic, it looks like it may have already been cracked some. It could be just an optical illusion but it looks like some dust/dirt in or on the crack itself.

Good news that you have eliminated the grinding. Must be from the finer gear getting to much power and am thinking my guess may have been correct as to which is VXL and XL-5. Still a guess though. lol Maybe I will take mine apart and compare to your pic.

I don't know much about the eliminator. Does that lock up your slipper or do away with it all together? I would say it's a good idea if you are going with the new axles. I hope for you, that payday is the 1st and 16th as mine are.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

That really bites a big one about your axle. From the pic, it looks like it may have already been cracked some. It could be just an optical illusion but it looks like some dust/dirt in or on the crack itself.

Good news that you have eliminated the grinding. Must be from the finer gear getting to much power and am thinking my guess may have been correct as to which is VXL and XL-5. Still a guess though. lol Maybe I will take mine apart and compare to your pic.

I don't know much about the eliminator. Does that lock up your slipper or do away with it all together? I would say it's a good idea if you are going with the new axles. I hope for you, that payday is the 1st and 16th as mine are.
    Briber just sent me some insight on the r/p. That helped alot, so i think swappin out the r/p done the trick. The axle was probably cracked like u mentioned. Plus i got lucky lol, i found 2 stockers in a mix of parts. Payday for me is every fri. No way could i go 2 wks on a pay check lol. Id be broke before the next week. Got her all back together, just waitn for the locktite to dry so i can try again

O yeah lol, the slipper eliminator replaces the pads n all. The spur screws directly to the eliminator. But as for now, i tightened mine down n backed it off 1/16th of a turn

AHHA That is some useful info from brian. Know I had seen the eliminator before. I you like lock down go for it. So far I keep mine locked down. Of course I haven't run it but keep the rusty on loc down. Probably the p4de too....we shall see soon i think. Mid 70s this week coming, perfect weather......

You Are so correct about a 2 week paycheck. Can bite pretty hard sometimes.
    Last edited by lektro; 05-13-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    O yeah lol, the slipper eliminator replaces the pads n all. The spur screws directly to the eliminator. But as for now, i tightened mine down n backed it off 1/16th of a turn

I could be wrong here, but having no slipper clutch whatsoever is a very bad idea! Why an eliminator?

Direct power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gru734 View Post
    I could be wrong here, but having no slipper clutch whatsoever is a very bad idea! Why an eliminator?

RC Racer
    Direct power

Exactly. No cusion to protect the diffs

The only way that could be a bad idea is um uh hmmm let me think on that one. Serious though Gru. It all comes down to what you like. Can't be that bad of an idea, seeing you can buy them. Depend's on your style of driving.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Is this like replacing the slipper clutch with center diff?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kizwan View Post
    Is this like replacing the slipper clutch with center diff?
    No, it just eliminates the clutch. I just got long aluminum pads. If I donít want it to slip it doesnít, even on 4S. My worn ring gear is a function of having my clutch cranked down Iím sure.

No, it just eliminates the clutch. I just got long aluminum pads. If I don’t want it to slip it doesn’t, even on 4S. My worn ring gear is a function of havinNo, it just eliminates the clutch. I just got long aluminum pads. If I don’t want it to slip it doesn’t, even on 4S. My worn ring gear is a function of having my clutch cranked down I’m sure.g my clutch cranked down I’m sure.
    I have a large pad on the gen 3 I have. Tell Please Grip! Been wondering this for a long time. Is your pad one solid aluminum disc? Mine is made of the regular brake stuff whatever that may be. Solid all the way around except for a few cutouts. I would assume for some fresh air for cooling purposes....(an uh educated guess.....
    Last edited by lektro; 05-15-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a large pad on the gen 3 I have. Tell Please Grip! Been wondering this for a long time. Is your pad one solid aluminum disc? Mine is made of the regular brake stuff whatever that may be. Solid all the way around except for a few cutouts. I would assume for some fresh air for cooling purposes....(an uh educated guess.....
    Three pads. They touch each other pretty much.

Not knowing why a slipper eliminator is a horrible idea in a basher is a clear indication of a lack of understanding of what and why a slipper is used. Metal spur gears and slipper eliminators are not repairs but mission critical choices racers make for reasons. If you are having problems with your slipper clutch it is because something is wrong and is why the slipper is showing symptoms of the bigger problem. There is no level of power that will cause the plastic spur and Revo slipper to fail in a properly setup system. I highly suggest to continue looking for a problem before going to a metal spur or slipper eliminator.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Not knowing why a slipper eliminator is a horrible idea in a basher is a clear indication of a lack of understanding of what and why a slipper is used. Metal spur gears and slipper eliminators are not repairs but mission critical choices racers make for reasons. If you are having problems with your slipper clutch it is because something is wrong and is why the slipper is showing symptoms of the bigger problem. There is no level of power that will cause the plastic spur and Revo slipper to fail in a properly setup system. I highly suggest to continue looking for a problem before going to a metal spur or slipper eliminator.
    This is a solid statement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast