Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 64
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77

    Stampede 4x4, 1st hobby grade RC

    I picked up a 4X4 stampede and 7400mah LiPo batteries and charger. What should I know about this truck to get started? What about heat? Do I need a heat sink or fan on the motor? I have a IR thermometer, what is the MAX temp I need to look for on the motot/ESC?

    Thank you.

    Also, is it OK or recommended to use dielectric grease (silicone grease) on electrical connectors?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-02-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: merge

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    160 ish should be your max temperature. Did you get the VXL? Either way you'll need aluminum shock caps. The plastic ones pop off. What voltage will you be running? Dielectric. Grease is okay. It will attract debris and is not necessary though.

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Quťbec, Canada
    Posts
    91
    I think you will need to change the drive shaft for Steel ones since you will use lipo, I broke a plastic one just with a nimh battery, thats one of the weakest point of this truck

    Envoyť de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk
    One Stampede and one TRX4

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    7.4V it is not VXL. I hope to upgrade to Castle 2400kv Mamba x ESC.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    I'd encourage you to look at more brands of equipment than just one, no matter what that one is. Drive shafts will be a must with brushless power.
    For instance I run a 120amp hobbywing esc that would be perfect for that kv motor at less than half the cost. I have an MMX on my Rustler and love it, so don't get me wrong. I got it for the options and data logging for my speed runner.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Amazon has motor and esc for 220$ that seems reasonable. How do I shop a motor and esc exactly?

    I will look at more options. I plan to do a lot of upgrades before motor and esc, drive shafts, shock caps, and too lock what else I will need for a brushless upgrade. So far I know I will need a new motor mount, gear, pinion, and I assume slip clutch?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-02-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: merge

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    My clutch is fine. I use aluminum pads and carbon fiber pads. If you mean diff lock and not too lock. I wouldn't. If you enjoy the ability to turn

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Meant wheel locks. So, just get some new pads when the stock pads are done? I don't want dif lock, lol. Not going to be crawling. I would like this to be a bullet proof, powerful, bashing truck for all terrain. I just don't know how to do that exactly, yet.

    anyone run the Monster Mamba MXL-6S? will that fit on this truck?

    Will this work?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-02-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: merge

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Meant wheel locks. So, just get some new pads when the stock pads are done? I don't want dif lock, lol. Not going to be crawling. I would like this to be a bullet proof, powerful, bashing truck for all terrain. I just don't know how to do that exactly, yet.
    Well I would move to 17mm hubs. I kept stripping the 12mm hexes no matter if I used aluminum and loctite. Not. Problem since I move to 17mm
    I'm running Tekno M6 axles and the Tekno bigbone center shaft. The motor mount can be upgraded to eliminate flex and stripped gears and ruined bearings.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Don't buy that esc. Get a hobbywing or MMX.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Bige4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    427
    If you want a ESC/MOTOR combo that will rock your world that will drop right in, may i suggest...

    ESC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-E...-/271143892179

    MOTOR - https://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-3660...4383.l4275.c10

    Both max out using 4s lipo
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    That looks great, and right price. I assume I wonít need to change the spur or pinion gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Well I would move to 17mm hubs. I kept stripping the 12mm hexes no matter if I used aluminum and loctite. Not. Problem since I move to 17mm
    I'm running Tekno M6 axles and the Tekno bigbone center shaft. The motor mount can be upgraded to eliminate flex and stripped gears and ruined bearings.
    Ok, now Iím seeing it.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-02-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: merge
    Stampede 4X4

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393

    Stampede 4x4, 1st hobby grade RC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    That looks great, and right price. I assume I wonít need to change the spur or pinion gear?
    That's the combo I've got. You'll need a 5mm bore pinion.
    Here it is installed.

    I have a short video in my build thread of how it runs on 3S. 4S is a bit much for everyday tooling around.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Just to be clear I took out my VXL system in favor of this lower priced system. It's far more capable than the VXL stuff, and a little more than half the price.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    I was just about to ask that. I’m teally excited about this now. And I already have 2s lipos, I assume will still run week and longer run time. What size (mh) 3s do you laid into the pede?
    Stampede 4X4

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Pretty sure those are 35C 5500 mah. They're cheap batteries I use to bash with. Been good to me though

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    So a little back ground on getting into rc. My son has always loved quad copters but is too young to fly them well so they break or he gets frustrate. I decided and rc car or truck would be better/easier to control. The thing is he has never seen a hobby trade rc truck and what they can do. Quadcopters are all over, even flown around in malls. So as I was having a look I decided that if we both had one we could race around together. So I decided to get one for myself and gauge how he likes it, guaranteed win Iím sure but need to convince the wife not to get him a PS4. He already has everything else, XBox One & 360, PC, Nitendo 3DS, his own iPad. I think this is way better and at least get him away from those other thing for a while. So probably gethim a Skully or something like that. Itís on the Pede platform and Traxxas so we can have plenty of batteries and already bought the Dual ID. Charger. He will also like upgrading it, working on it, take apart and put together. He is 8 so I feel he is old enough to handle these.

    My Pede gets here Friday,canít wait.
    Last edited by Bif24701; 11-01-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    Stampede 4X4

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Quťbec, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Amazon has motor and esc for 220$ that seems reasonable. How do I shop a motor and esc exactly?

    I will look at more options. I plan to do a lot of upgrades before motor and esc, drive shafts, shock caps, and too lock what else I will need for a brushless upgrade. So far I know I will need a new motor mount, gear, pinion, and I assume slip clutch?
    The slipper clutch spacer, buy one in alu, mine burned after only 10 days with a nimh battery
    One Stampede and one TRX4

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    ... He already has everything else, XBox One & 360, PC, Nitendo 3DS, his own iPad. I think this is way better and at least get him away from those other thing for a while. So probably gethim a Skully or something like that. Itís on the Pede platform and Traxxas so we can have plenty of batteries and already bought the Dual ID. Charger. He will also like upgrading it, working on it, take apart and put together. He is 8 so I feel he is old enough to handle these.

    My Pede gets here Friday,canít wait.
    My 9 years old got his Stampede this year. Imagine how rare is to see one of these here in Poland (central Europe but still..) he loves it, even if it's only parking lot races. On weekends we're usually going to countryside and I've already build simple jumping platform there.
    You can see his first RC on top of Pede, this smal beast had same steering as big one so he had very easy learning.


  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    I think my son will love it and we have several construction sites around here to go bashing. We live on an Air Force base in Florida.
    Stampede 4X4

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    I think my son will love it and we have several construction sites around here to go bashing. We live on an Air Force base in Florida.
    That'll be perfect

  22. #22
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    I don’t think I’ll be getting him the Skully, a 4x4 from what I have been seeing/hearing is easier to control. I would like to get the 4x4 Slash but he will want the same kind of truck I have. Haveing two of the same will be cool for racing each other. I’ll see what his reaction is today when he sees the truck. It is on the UPS truck out for delivery.

    Pics coming!
    Stampede 4X4

  23. #23
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Stampede arrived today. Charged my Traxxas 2s 5800mah battery on my Traxxas Dual ID charger. Seems very fast when charging one battery.
    Thoughts:
    This truck is awesome! The wife and kids are impressed, wife even said it was cool.

    Training mode is perfect for young kids learning about RC. He did well and tomorrow when I take it out to a open area I might let him reLly open it up.

    The brushed motor is still fun especially for bashing. I got wheel spin on about every surface i ran on.

    Truck is well made, this is my first hobby grade RC but I am happy with this truck.
    Stampede 4X4

  24. #24
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Have taken the Pede out several times today, my son is haveing a great time with it. He has no problem with full speed now and drives well. The Dual Traxxas Charger is nice to charge batteries at 8 amps, charges in no time. Got dark so I took my sons LED Pelican headlamp and zip tied it to the front just behind the bumper. It’s very bright and light weight so we got two really nice bashing sessions in tonight. Loving this truck!
    Stampede 4X4

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Good to hear

  26. #26
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Quťbec, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Have taken the Pede out several times today, my son is haveing a great time with it. He has no problem with full speed now and drives well. The Dual Traxxas Charger is nice to charge batteries at 8 amps, charges in no time. Got dark so I took my sons LED Pelican headlamp and zip tied it to the front just behind the bumper. Itís very bright and light weight so we got two really nice bashing sessions in tonight. Loving this truck!
    Congratulation on your buy

    Have fun
    One Stampede and one TRX4

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jvogel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,144
    I sent you a PM a few days ago. I hope it helps you.
    Obstacle Magnet

  28. #28
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I sent you a PM a few days ago. I hope it helps you.
    Yes, that helps a lot. Just happens I have an IR gun so I’ll make the best use of it. Thank you!
    Stampede 4X4

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    So I have gone completely off the deep end and selected a few upgrades from my 4x4 Pede.




    Some items may not be clear to you so they are:
    Front and rear Slash Ultimate GTR shocks
    Blue rate springs f/b
    Blue anodized C-blocks
    SS screw kit

    And I havenít even got to the motor or tires yet but they are coming.
    I was forced to get rear axles as I broke one. Really having fun with this thing.
    My son has crossed out the PS4 in favor of a VXL 4x4 Pede for his Santa letter. I havenít told my wife what the sticker price is yet, lol. Iím thinkig other than rear axles I wonít be forced to do many upgrades to his like mine.

    I am looking at either CC 1410/3800 or 1415/2400 Mamba X Pro combo. With added weight from all of my future and current upgrades maybe the 1415 motor. But the 1410 is still awesome and donít think Iíll need to much alterations, motor should almost drop right in.
    Also upgrading to:
    TQI/TSM receiver and transmitter
    Hot Racing motor mount and Super duty slipper kit with metal spurgear
    Proline tires/wheels
    Wheelie bar

    It will be fun putting it all together but not as much as driving it.
    Last edited by Bif24701; 11-15-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    Stampede 4X4

  30. #30
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    12
    Is that the RC Screwz kit? I was looking at them but I kept reading they are super easy to strip. Does anyone have any experience with them?

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Nice. Guess you don't subscribe to the wait till it breaks then upgrade. I don't do well with that either.

  32. #32
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by fenixis View Post
    Is that the RC Screwz kit? I was looking at them but I kept reading they are super easy to strip. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    It is the dynamite screw kit. With the right torque and threadlock I think will be all good.
    Stampede 4X4

  33. #33
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Nice. Guess you don't subscribe to the wait till it breaks then upgrade. I don't do well with that either.
    Lol, not quite. I did however break a axle, so I guess that counts right?
    All extra parts I’ll keep on hand in case they are needed for my sons truck
    Stampede 4X4

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Lol, not quite. I did however break a axle, so I guess that counts right?
    All extra parts Iíll keep on hand in case they are needed for my sons truck
    The axles are trash worthy. I've run Tekno M6's with a 2600kv in 4S. They don't seem to mind.

  35. #35
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    The axles are trash worthy. I've run Tekno M6's with a 2600kv in 4S. They don't seem to mind.
    Does the VXL come with the same axles? They are junk, rest of the truck is great. What ESC are you running?
    Stampede 4X4

  36. #36
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Hobbywing SC8-WP. It's a 120 amp esc. Program card. Very nice and it's priced right. My P4de has been a very
    Enjoyable build.
    VXL has the same axles. Out of the box the pede is pretty tough. I've been learning how to jump well with a 4wd, I haven't broken anything(bodies don't count). Then again I built this one strictly for abuse.

  37. #37
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Hobbywing SC8-WP. It's a 120 amp esc. Program card. Very nice and it's priced right. My P4de has been a very
    Enjoyable build.
    VXL has the same axles. Out of the box the pede is pretty tough. I've been learning how to jump well with a 4wd, I haven't broken anything(bodies don't count). Then again I built this one strictly for abuse.
    That’s my whole goal here, abuse the tar out of it for pure enjoyment. Also fun to take apart and put back together.

    I’m now 99% sure I’m going to go with the CC 1415 2400kv Mamba xPro combo. With all my upgrades it will have grown in weight and I would prefer to have the ability to run several 2-3s backs without heat problems or haveing to let her cool off.

    What spur gears does the VXL come with and does it have heat problems when running 2s?


    Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-25-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    Stampede 4X4

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    That’s my whole goal here, abuse the tar out of it for pure enjoyment. Also fun to take apart and put back together.

    I’m now 99% sure I’m going to go with the CC 1415 2400kv Mamba xPro combo. With all my upgrades it will have grown in weight and I would prefer to have the ability to run several 2-3s backs without heat problems or haveing to let her cool off.

    What spur gears does the VXL come with and does it have heat problems when running 2s?
    54, no it does not.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-25-2017 at 12:26 AM. Reason: modified quote

  39. #39
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    77
    Lots and lots of parts in today, CC Mamba X ESC with 3800 1410 1Y 1/8 bore, Hot Racing Motor mount (this thing is pretty), got the MIP drive shafts for the front (tears already on), lots of other stuff too. Going to take me all night puttting it all in, but I enjoy that.
    Stampede 4X4

  40. #40
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Lots and lots of parts in today, CC Mamba X ESC with 3800 1410 1Y 1/8 bore, Hot Racing Motor mount (this thing is pretty), got the MIP drive shafts for the front (tears already on), lots of other stuff too. Going to take me all night puttting it all in, but I enjoy that.
    No doubt. Have a good time. Congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •