RC Qualifier

Aftermarket and HR Goodies for 4-Tec 2.0 VXL

Hey guys, so I went into my local Hobby Shop to pick up some tires for my Slash 4x4 and seen the new VXL 4-Tec, and man is it a beauty in my opinion. I am glad Traxxas designed a new chassis for this and not used a Slash or Revo Style Chassis. I am looking into different bodies for the car right now, would like to do a New Corvette Body.

So, I am going to pick one up in a few weeks and have been looking at hop-ups. Now, I have always used Hot Racing parts on every single RC I have owned and love the quality of their parts. I am looking at getting their front and rear lower A-Arms, front and rear Hub Carriers, Caster Blocks, Chassis Brace, Battery Hold Down, Motor Mount, Bellcrank, and undecided on a steel spur. My Local Hobby Shop will give me a huge discount on any hop-up parts if I purchase them at the same time I purchase the Car, so might as well do some research on parts and get them when I get the car.

Has anyone used any or all of these and had any issues with fitment, and how do they like the quality of the parts?

Does anyone have any input on some nice shocks that will fit or any other parts for that matter.

I may even consider setting it up for Spec Racing, if that is an option with this car.
    Last edited by BadAssRC; 11-05-2017 at 04:24 AM.
    Merv, Slash Ultimate, Kraken Vekta w/ OBR G340RC

RC Competitor
    IMO I would never get aluminum A-Arms. Better to break a A-arm than a bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    Hey guys, so I went into my local Hobby Shop to pick up some tires for my Slash 4x4 and seen the new VXL 4-Tec, and man is it a beauty in my opinion. I am glad Traxxas designed a new chassis for this and not used a Slash or Revo Style Chassis. I am looking into different bodies for the car right now, would like to do a New Corvette Body.

So, I am going to pick one up in a few weeks and have been looking at hop-ups. Now, I have always used Hot Racing parts on every single RC I have owned and love the quality of their parts. I am looking at getting their front and rear lower A-Arms, front and rear Hub Carriers, Caster Blocks, Chassis Brace, Battery Hold Down, Motor Mount, Bellcrank, and undecided on a steel spur. My Local Hobby Shop will give me a huge discount on any hop-up parts if I purchase them at the same time I purchase the Car, so might as well do some research on parts and get them when I get the car.

Has anyone used any or all of these and had any issues with fitment, and how do they like the quality of the parts?

Does anyone have any input on some nice shocks that will fit or any other parts for that matter.

I may even consider setting it up for Spec Racing, if that is an option with this car.
    Local group just ran a spec class(had 12 cars entered) yesterday. As per their rules the car had to be stock. If you are thinking about racing spec class you may want to leave the car alone.

Rules for 4T2 racing:
    4TEC SPEC ROAD COURSEGT

This class is intended for racers looking to compete in close, cost controlled racing, with realistic looking SCCA/USTCC type bodies

***If it’s not mentioned in the following rules, it is illegal.***

Base Vehicle: Traxxas 4TEC 2.0

Chassis/Components: Box Stock. No modifications or alternate parts are allowed unless specifically stated in the remainder of the 4TEC Spec rules.

Body Clips: Any standard r/c body clip may be used (locking or regular).

Motor: Traxxas 3785 motor only, as per supplied with kit. Comm drops are not permitted. Note: this class has a motor claim rule. For the cost of a new replacement motor plus $10, any motor raced during the event may be purchased out of any car entered into the race. At time of purchase, the motor will be tagged. A race official will hold the money for purchase and the transaction will take place at the end of the main for the night’s race.

Batteries: Roar approved 6 or 7 cell sub C battery pack, 2S Hard Cased LiPo battery. Soft case Traxxas lipo batteries must be presented for inspection before use on the track.

Battery/Motor Connectors: Any battery connector allowed, not restricted to stock connectors. Motor Connectors must remain stock (as supplied with kit).

Speed Control: Traxxas 3018X XL-5 speed control only (as supplied with the kit).

Servo: Traxxas 2075 servo only, (Stock Servo supplied with the kit) with the stock servo saver ONLY.

Camber and steering linkages: Must remain box stock. No adjustable links allowed.

Radio/Receiver: Any ROAR allowed Radio/Receiver Combination is permitted, e.g. you may switch the receiver and transmitter from the units supplied with the vehicle.

Suspension: Must remain stock, may use any silicone shock oil. No Modifications or alternate parts allowed otherwise, (e.g. no shock limiters, shortening of springs or drilling/filling of shock pistons). Shock length may not be modified by adding any additional parts beyond what is shown in the vehicles exploded view, as intended per the stock configuration (e.g. no modification or addition of any components for the purpose of lowering the ride height of the vehicle). Must use stock springs. Only spring supplied with the kit will be allowed (#8362)

Steering: Stock components only, no changes allowed.

Transmission: Stock transmission in box stock configuration only. Pinion gears are restricted to the box stock options (21T, 25T). Spur Gear is limited to the box stock spur gear(70T) as supplied with the kit. Diffs are required to be used in box stock configuration, including stock silicone.

Wheels/Tires: Limited to the tires and rims that come stock with the kit only (part numbers #8373 -- Front ; #8374 -- Rear). Traction compound is allowed prior to race, but not to be used to soften tires further (e.g. soaking). No additives/compounds/fluids or any other method may be used to soften the tires. Removal of the calipers is optional, as they might get displaced during a race. The stock wheel hexes are MANDATORY as they fit the realistic look this class was designed off of.

Bodies: Only closed-wheel realistic 4tec/190mm/200mm bodies are allowed. VTA approved (see http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rule...s8-30-2017.pdf ), Stock Traxxas bodies (Mustang and Ford GT and Future Traxxas designs), and Any body on the USGT body list (see http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rule...s7-20-2017.pdf ) Any other body (Drift, etc.) needs to be approved by the club.**KEEP IN MIND, Not all 190MM bodies fit on the 4Tec. Please purchase accordingly. Recommended bodies are 200MM** NO BITTYDESIGN and NO LIGHTWEIGHT ProtoFORM Bodies. NO Trucks vans minivans school buses garbage trucks, utility vehicles, moon landers, zambonis,golf carts, quads, etc allowed. No World GT bodies.

Windows are not required to be left clear. Paint scheme is up to the individual. Scale realism is encouraged.

Ball Bearings: Allowed (as per supplied with kit) **No ceramic bearings and/or hybrid bearings allowed**. Other manufacturers bearings are permitted.

Air Dams: Not allowed.

Spoiler: Not allowed other than the one that comes with the body.

Transponder: Personal Transponders are permitted and can be mounted anywhere on the vehicle that the owner sees fit. Must be within the chassis.

LiPo Cut-Off/Warning: The use of a LiPo cut-off / warning alarm is allowed as long as there is no performance gain associated with the device.

I have never raced before and simply went to check out the 4 tecs on the track. Best lap times seemed to be turned in by driving it smoothly not by trying to be the fastest through the course. Don't think the tires are very ideal for carpet. Saw some of the drivers drift off the carpet onto the marble floor and it looked they were on ice. the crashes made me cringe a bit but all I saw was a busted servo and a rear bumper on a mustang body. others may have had issues but those were the ones near where I was.
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac

RC Qualifier
    Man, had no idea how strict they where with Spec Racing. Well there goes that idea.

RC Qualifier
    those are just for 4-tec spec racing. they need to be strict because people will do all sorts of "tricks" to gain an advantage in those "box-Stock" classes. everything from cutting holes in the tire foam, to trimming weight off the chassis... some places have a rule where anybody can buy the winner's car for the price of a new one. the rules up there have a similar rule for the motors.
    you could try to get it into other less restricted classes but still have some spec restrictions. VTA, and USGT typically let you do what you want with the chassis, but restrict the wheels and motor/esc.
    i'm working my way towards racing also, but i need to get 10 laps around the track without some kind of issue first... this weekend was one of my wires un-soldering itself. i guess the hobby-shop guy did not solder it on right or something. i really need to learn to do it myself...

Well that is one particular group. they do try to keep it in line with roar's guidelines. If you are considering racing check to see what the rules are with your local track. This particular group is changing the rules in the 4T class already. guess there were more servo fatalities than i thought and are going to allow a couple of metal geared servos or metal gear replacements.
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac

RC Qualifier
    It would be entered in ROAR if anything.

Also, is the Traxxas TQi and Receiver ROAR Legal? I do know any traction aid can not be used, such as TSM.

That is a good question being it is stock on the GT. I would think you would have to have it off.
    On a positive note as far as parts it looks like Traxxas is now offering a couple of servo saver nuts and a couple different color wheels. As to racing it. In all honesty i have never raced and if I do I would be in the novice class and wouldn't be running my GT. If i do get to the point of racing I would just pick up a chassis and an approved 1pc body.
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac

RC Qualifier
    I have only raced ROAR Off-Road Racing with my Slash 4x4, never on-road. It looks like they are much more strict on the On-Road side, especially in Spec Racing.

I also decided to wait on the purchase until Traxxas releases all their hop-up aftermarket goodies. I would rather use Traxxas Aftermarket parts than other brands. It is looking like I may not be racing it, but maybe just using it as a fun on-road basher.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    I have only raced ROAR Off-Road Racing with my Slash 4x4, never on-road. It looks like they are much more strict on the On-Road side, especially in Spec Racing.

I also decided to wait on the purchase until Traxxas releases all their hop-up aftermarket goodies. I would rather use Traxxas Aftermarket parts than other brands. It is looking like I may not be racing it, but maybe just using it as a fun on-road basher.
    I picked up a used slash to test the racing waters lol.
    Oh and the group updated their rules to specify TSM must be off. They were racing today but I am feeling a little under the weather so I stayed home.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac