RC poster

Need Tips on Installing OBA

Hi there

i was looking around for some tips to install OBA on my X Maxx 6s.
    I was happy to find two threads with the tips how to install it.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...r-Installation
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...On-Board-Audio
    But unfortunately the pictures can not be displayed because of the new policie of eg Photobucket :-(

Can you please help me with the pictures including the tips?

Thx so much

I haven't forgotten about you. I'll give you the scoop this weekend.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

I have never installed the Traxxas OBA system on a Xmaxx, but I did install one on my XO-1. There are some things you need to look out for, so that everything will work properly.

The first thing you will need to consider is where you're going to mount the two vibrators to your body, and the OBA module to your chassis. Looking at a picture below the problem is going to be the Xmaxx's roll bar.

In my XO-1 I put both my vibrators on the interior's roof, but (looking at the Xmaxx) I think you're going to have to use the rear window, and the space between the rear body mount and the tail gate.

Your OBA module can go either where the GPS/Expander module normally goes, or on top of you chassis' brackets similar as to how your motor's fan is mounted.

When you do figure out where you want your vibrators, next you're going to need to figure out how you're going to mount your vibrators. I suggest two ways.

If you can, I'd try hiding all your screws by using the photo's below as a guide.

Or, if the Xmaxx's body doesn't allow you to hide your vibrator's mounting screws, you can try mounting your vibrators this way. Notice how thin my wooden buffers had to be with this XO-1 Corvette body.

See the screws?

Anyway, the trick with mounting the vibrators is: You don't want your vibrators to tight or loose against the body. To tight, and you'll over work (burn up) your OBA module. To loose, and you won't get the volume at your higher RPM throttle points.

Lastly, setting up your voltage for your OBA module. The Traxxas OBA module can work with 6vdc up to 6s (25vdc). You can not use it with 8s voltage, and you can not power it up with a voltage divider network. If you do you will burn your ESC's ground wires.

On my XO-1 I tapped of my (-) and (+) posts to supply my OBA. This is very easy to do with Castles' ESC's, but will be a little more difficult with the Xmaxx's stock ESC. I am in the process of tapping a non-Traxxas ESC for use with Traxxas telemetry purposes. I'll get those pictures to you very soon, and show you how to do it.

This is how I tap non-exposed ESC's. You will want to do this with both your RED and Black wires if you are using a stock Xmaxx 6s ESC, or another ESC that doesn't have exposed terminal posts.

This is how I tap an exposed post ESC. Notice the RED/BLACK wires in front of the caps.

Anyway, that's it. That's the general idea of how to install a Traxxas OBA system, and if you have any questions just let me shout. With that said, good luck with your Xmaxx OBA project!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-10-2017 at 06:33 AM.

That's the general idea of how to install a Traxxas OBA system, and if you have any questions just let me shout.
    That's the general idea of how to install a Traxxas OBA system, and if you have any questions just give me shout.

I wouldn't want you to let me shout at you HeadCharger if you asked me a question. That was just a type error (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-11-2017 at 05:43 AM.

RC poster
    I have the rustler 4x4 vxl with the tsm . Do i need to get a different receiver/speed control etc to have oba? Or can i use what originally came with my rustler? Ps. Im waiting on my 4channel transmitter now, it gets here tomorrow.

You can have a non-Traxxas ESC, but you have to have a Traxxas transmitter and receiver.