Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159

    HR Progressive Spring Rate / Proline Cap Info

    Hello all. I have a coupe of questions that the search button has not answered.

    A bit about my XMaxx: It's an 8s that I have probably about 15 packs of run time on. The only mods that I have done to it are a TON of telemetry sensors and Murat lights front and rear. I mainly run it around my neighborhood in the street and romp it though the grass field next to my house. I rarely jump it more than a foot or two in the air - blasphemy I know. That said, my goal is to have a set of springs/shocks (and oil ofc) to swap to for when i do want to air it out.

    The stock set-up is great for what I do with it most of the time. I traction roll it every now and then but not enough that its a problem. The soft suspension works very well for blasting though the grass field and parks with my kiddo, and the little time I spend on the asphalt isn't enough that I care to tune it for that. It does squat pretty hard though, front and rear, and have my break set to 65% to keep from endoing her at full throttle in the grass.

    My first question is about the HR 'progressive' springs. Where do they fall in comparison to the stockers and the optional 1.53 rate Traxxas ones? I ordered a set of 3 different color(rate) pairs to try out and I haven't read anyone's experience with them. I will be putting heavier shafts in whatever shocks that I end up tuning for jumping fwiw.

    My second question is regarding the Proline resi shock cap bling. Yes I know they are expensive, ~$89 a pair, but I think they would look amazing with a nice raptor body and I don't bash mine hard enough to worry about breaking them. I know that they wont appreciably improve performance, but has anyone had trouble with them leaking (more than stockers would bashing)? I've read troubling things about Proline's smaller remote resi shocks and wondered if the 100mm Maxx shock caps from them suffered from the same tenancy to leak. I have not been able to find a single thread about them other than the one or two that talk about how expensive they are.
    Maxx 8S

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Fueler941's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Venice, FL
    Posts
    415
    I'd like to know how the HR springs are to considering they are the most expensive. I have always had good experience with HR parts in the past so I might just pull the trigger on them. My buddy runs the VG Racing springs and says they are good.
    TRX4 Bronco
    Brushless Losi 5T

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Well so far I like the HR springs. They got from red to blue to black, from the least firm to the most firm. I just got done servicing the bearings and axles and swapped them while I was at it. They’re pretty soft compared to the heavy 1.53 springs, but they looked great in the short shake down run after service. I wouldn’t say they were the right choice for big airs, but i spend most of my time on the ground on rough terrain. On the street I noticed that it was much less likely to traction roll. The suspension loads and unloads beautifully in the corners, and also seems to transfer weight better when I stab the throttle and life the front wheels up. I’ll tear though the field tomorrow and report back. Also, I put the blacks in the rear and blues up front. The progressive rate translates to some nice handling manners, but I ordered some 50wt in case they’re too soft in the field.

    I’m still hoping to hear from someone who has a set of the proline shock caps.
    Last edited by PitchforkR; 11-11-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Maxx 8S

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    877
    I think as you said they are to expensive. Plus the fact the reservoirs stick out to the side which look silly to me. If they were £50 a set I’d consider but for £75 it’s just not even worth a look. Especially as the stock shocks are more than adequate.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchforkR View Post
    Well so far I like the HR springs. They got from red to blue to black, from the least firm to the most firm. I just got done servicing the bearings and axles and swapped them while I was at it. They’re pretty soft compared to the heavy 1.53 springs, but they looked great in the short shake down run after service. I wouldn’t say they were the right choice for big airs, but i spend most of my time on the ground on rough terrain. On the street I noticed that it was much less likely to traction roll. The suspension loads and unloads beautifully in the corners, and also seems to transfer weight better when I stab the throttle and life the front wheels up. I’ll tear though the field tomorrow and report back. Also, I put the blacks in the rear and blues up front. The progressive rate translates to some nice handling manners, but I ordered some 50wt in case they’re too soft in the field.

    I’m still hoping to hear from someone who has a set of the proline shock caps.
    How do you think the HR springs compare with the factory spring? I have been debating on getting them or a set of 1.3 or 1.5 traxxas springs. There isn't a lot of information out there of people running the HR springs.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    99
    Love my Proline caps! No leaks and they look sweet but, I also have the Kershaw shocks and run VG spring
    Last edited by Glafko; 11-12-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added parts

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    195
    Not sure if you have seen or not but Hot Racing has some reservoir shock caps now for about hald the price of Prolines. http://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=XMX156R01;c=975

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    Not sure if you have seen or not but Hot Racing has some reservoir shock caps now for about hald the price of Prolines. http://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=XMX156R01;c=975
    Oh wow. Thank you! I had not seen those. That is much more reasonable (comparatively). Iíll have to check those out. I was going to order aluminum hardware anyway. I ordered some UE shock shafts and am waiting for a second set of shock bodies to put them in. Iíll add a set of these remote ressies to the list.
    Maxx 8S

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Glafko View Post
    Love my Proline caps! No leaks and they look sweet but, I also have the Kershaw shocks and run VG spring
    Thanks for getting back on this! I’ve been on the fence about them. I almost have all the parts for a second set of shocks together. How are you liking the VG springs? Which color are you using? I paid through the nose for two sets of HR springs, but now i have 3 progressive options handling and love them. I have a set of the 1.53 trx springs set aside to put on the stock bodies to keep in the tool box for bashing.

    Also, so the Kershaw shocks come with the better shafts? I’m looking at their site but can’t tell if they are similar to the UE shafts meaning not weak at the threads.
    Last edited by PitchforkR; 11-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    Maxx 8S

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    I was very sad to hear about the proprietor of kershaw designs.

    I ended up just ordering all the stock pieces of the stock shocks plus proline caps and UE shock shafts.

    The HR springs are boss tearing around in the field at full throttle as long as it doesn’t jump over a few feet in the air. I decided to keep a complete second set of shocks with UE shafts and TRX 1.53 linear rate springs to bash with. I’ll kee the HR progressives and proline shock cap setups for light duty stuff with the kiddo - and looking good lol
    Maxx 8S

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,208
    Are the hr springs stiffer than trx 1.5s? Ive switched to the trx 1.3 springs and 45 wt in rear and it only made a tiny difference. My rear slaps the ground way too easily still. Im gonna try the 1.5s in back but feel they may be too soft for the big jumps i do, and may have to come up with a stronger spring than the 1.5s... I dont mind the skid hitting the ground, but not from a 3 foot high jump. It still slaps with the 1.3s

    Nvm ive now seen the earlier post saying they were softer. Guess ill stick to the 1.5s
    Last edited by rag6; 11-24-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Are the hr springs stiffer than trx 1.5s? Ive switched to the trx 1.3 springs and 45 wt in rear and it only made a tiny difference. My rear slaps the ground way too easily still. Im gonna try the 1.5s in back but feel they may be too soft for the big jumps i do, and may have to come up with a stronger spring than the 1.5s... I dont mind the skid hitting the ground, but not from a 3 foot high jump. It still slaps with the 1.3s

    Nvm ive now seen the earlier post saying they were softer. Guess ill stick to the 1.5s
    Youíve got it. The HR kits come with 3 sets of two springs of various rates. The black ones are the heaviest, and comparable to the 1.5s, but only at 50%+ of the shock stroke - they are about half that for the first half of the stroke. They worked well for smallish jumps if I added a bit preload to them. I went with a set of 1.5s to jump it in earnest. I tore around in the dirt a bit and the handling is terrible with the 1.5s, but Iím here to jump not race. Iím out at my Ranch for turkey day weekend brought the truck with 40wt and the 1.5s. We shall see how it does once i have some light tomorrow. I can tell that Iíll need to add some preload to the rear compared to the front.

    At some point, I think I will just have to deal with some chassis slap. At the height that you jump yours (I think Iíve seen your vids), if you were to sprig it so thought that it didnít slap, the plastic in the towers or arms would probably fail. My goal it is split the difference. A little chassis slap, and no broken arms/towers.
    Maxx 8S

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,208
    My goal also. Right now the rear hits so hard that it bounces into a front flip. My huge trx 6700 packs make it worse compared to my smaller smc 5200s. Handling on flat ground, bumps and very small jumps is pretty good now. I know i could go much heavier on oil in rear to help, but right now with 45 wt and 1.3 springs, the springs are having an issue pushing the the pistons through the 45 wt oil. Hopefully the 1.5s will find the middle ground with 45 wt oil. If i go with heavier oil, im afraid i will need a heavier spring than the 1.5s
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Dang. That’s pretty intense. Hitting hard enough to flip is probably towards the side of possibly breaking parts other than suspension. I put the 1.5s on when i changed to 40wt, so I can’t comment on the weaker spring being able to rebound the shock properly. I see you’re up in PA, is the truck super cold when you start bashing, or is it sorted inside when the oil is so thick that the spring has trouble? I just wonder if shock oil temp has anything to do with it.
    Maxx 8S

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    My goal also. Right now the rear hits so hard that it bounces into a front flip. My huge trx 6700 packs make it worse compared to my smaller smc 5200s. Handling on flat ground, bumps and very small jumps is pretty good now. I know i could go much heavier on oil in rear to help, but right now with 45 wt and 1.3 springs, the springs are having an issue pushing the the pistons through the 45 wt oil. Hopefully the 1.5s will find the middle ground with 45 wt oil. If i go with heavier oil, im afraid i will need a heavier spring than the 1.5s
    So I had a blast bashing around in a caliche pit that we use as a small caliber shooting range. That said, I probably will not bash in caliche again... My lower rear control arms were pretty torn up from the rocks that the front tires threw at them. Thankfully, I had covers on my shocks, or they would have been torn up too. I am thinking about getting some of the T-bone LCA guards in the future..

    In regards to the jumping and springs: Even with 1.5s, 40wt, and preload, my chassis smacked the ground on most of the big jumps. After looking at the rear skid-plate, I realized that it had far less wear than my rear lower control arms had. So while the chassis is contacting the ground on the airs, it is not as much of an impact as it seems when one compares the normal wear of tearing around in a rocky pit to bottoming out while doing so. I think that the 1.5s and 40-50wt oil is a happy medium for landing the jumps and setting up for the jumps in the first place. When I added too much pre-load, the truck got out of shape lining up for the jumps in the first place. Granted I was on rough terrain, but anymore suspension tension and I would not be able to line up in the first place.

    I will post pics and the edited bashing vid soon. I need to get one of the head-straps that holds the iPhone. I had mine in my shirt pocket and the truck is out of frame for quite a bit of it. Oh, I had my first break.. I had a front lower control arm break on me, as well as pulled 4/6 body screws through lol. First legit breakage with the Xmaxx I happened while someone else was driving it.. They hit a metal fence head on, but truth be told, I wonder if I cracked that control arm during one of the big airs earlier in the day.
    Maxx 8S

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,208
    I just ran 1.5s 45wt rear and 1.1s 32.5wt in front. What a difference! There is some slap on jumps over 7 feet, but its not hitting so hard that it does a front flip now. There is no slap at all on 6-7 ft jumps. I may move the batteries fully forward and put the 1.3s up front to see if i can cut wheelies down. I was jumping over 60 ft distance about 12 ft high and the truck was not bouncing off the ground. This setup is perfect for packs all the way to the rear.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Yes!! Glad to hear that your setup is working out. I need to get some lighter bashing batteries for sure. The stock 6700s are super heavy. Also, I’ll have to try staggering the oil weight along with springs front to rear.
    Maxx 8S

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    I'm going for general basher setup that is not afraid of big air, HR springs don't sound that great especially for the price. HR and VG provide no rate specs, they should. I love watching Kevin's videos lol.

    Anybody with more feedback on the VG Racing springs?

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,208
    Nate, so hows it goin? I've since sorted out my issues. The 1.5s in rear with 55 wt seems to be my sweet spot. My issue was not the spring, but the 45 wt oil was too thin. Ill give you my setup that is now handling like a dream.

    Ft 40wt w/1.2 springs
    Rear 55wt w/1.5 springs
    Swapped the front and rear diffs for more steering
    Batteries mounted fully forward
    50/20 gearing
    UE. Shock shafts 8mm limiting spacers under the piston

    This setup is for a stock weight truck and handles like a dream.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Nate, so hows it goin? I've since sorted out my issues. The 1.5s in rear with 55 wt seems to be my sweet spot. My issue was not the spring, but the 45 wt oil was too thin. Ill give you my setup that is now handling like a dream.

    Ft 40wt w/1.2 springs
    Rear 55wt w/1.5 springs
    Swapped the front and rear diffs for more steering
    Batteries mounted fully forward
    50/20 gearing
    UE. Shock shafts 8mm limiting spacers under the piston

    This setup is for a stock weight truck and handles like a dream.
    Hey going well thanks, still building before running. Thanks for the update and specifics of your setup, will get a couple batteries through mine and then start tuning. LHS has only stock 6s springs or Proline in stock, that's why I'm trying to get a feel and maybe order some springs before I need them lol. I did buy Losi 30, 40, and 50wt oil while I was at LHS. BTW how much oil to do four of these shocks? IIRC it's a bit less than 4oz for all four? Already have several 2oz bottles.

    Have you tried a dab of E6000 to hold spring retainers on? Think that would do the trick with lower preload settings.
    Last edited by Natedog; 02-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,208
    Since I limited shock travel, everything stays together. I don't bolt my lower cups to the rod ends anymore either.
    I buy the losi 4 oz bottles. I think I can do almost 4 shocks per bottle
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    OK, just wondered if you'd tried that, works great on my TRX-4. Wish Traxxas sold the lower shock end plastic part separately.

    Thanks, that's what I'd heard, I'll buy couple more bottles this time 4oz each.

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,208
    Yea I had to buy the shafts just to get the ends
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •