Thread: <begin rant>

<begin rant>

I got a 2015 Volkswagen golf gti a few weeks ago. I love it except for the driver assists. I want to turn them off but all I can do is basically turn the threashold up before traction control comes on. I know it's all safety stuff. I come from a line of daredevils who grew up without any driving assists. My grandparents didn't even get seatbelts! My dad is still alive yet he drove a 89 firebird for years without stability control. And my first 2 cars didn't have abs.

I don't see how any of the driver assists help people he better drivers. One day I nearly got ran off the road by a bmw trying to change lanes. Maybe his blind spot monitoring malfunctioned? Maybe he should just continue to ignore his blind spot monitoring and look over his shoulder to check before changing lanes just like I do just to be sure. Driver assists do not make better drivers! They just hinder fun and give bad drivers an excuse for being even lazier.

I guess my point is that I'd rather drive my car instead of letting the car do the thinking.

Rant over

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    You would be surprised how many people DO need all that stuff to even back out of their driveway.

And on not up on VW stuff, but I'm sure there is a tuner out there that can modify all that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wish common sense was common. I like older cars that if they did have those features they were defeatable. I could turn the tcs off on my Millenia. Especially in the snow, traction control climbing hills is terrible.

RC Racer
    Nice man! What color and trim did you get? I have a ‘17 carbon grey sport.

I do know what you mean about wanting a less ‘smart’ auto. I never would have thought I would prefer an automatic especially in a car like this but DSG is really good... it’s faster, more robust and my wife can drive it in a pinch. It barely feels like a compromise.

Unitronic 1+ ECU & TCU this spring will make it that much better.

My wife's new Tiguan (sport) doesn't have any of that. It would likely drive me nuts if it did.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

being a former Go Kart racer and Pro Stock drag racer I can understand not having the choice of driver assists on or off. However you also need to understand that your suspension system was designed for driver assist.

Each of these systems work differently in each vehicle, it has the main principles being the same but they are each different (within reason). Curb weight, shock travel, spring tension, ABS, etc. Some of the newer models are truly drive by wire, no steering column, it's done electronically like many aircraft.

I'm pretty sure you can get a tuner to help you dial in your GTI, A buddy of mine has one and he's an old gear head like me, in fact he used to be on my team when I was running low 9's in the 1/4. There are a lot of things you can do to that GTI, you need to find a good forum on the GTI and get some recommendations. If you are savvy enough som upgrades, changes, mods, you can DIY...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    Nice man! What color and trim did you get? I have a ‘17 carbon grey sport.

I do know what you mean about wanting a less ‘smart’ auto. I never would have thought I would prefer an automatic especially in a car like this but DSG is really good... it’s faster, more robust and my wife can drive it in a pinch. It barely feels like a compromise.

Unitronic 1+ ECU & TCU this spring will make it that much better.
    I think it a base model. Maybe one package up. Kinda wish I waited to find an autobahn but the only one in the area was 2011 with 122k miles. Mine is a 2015 manual. It had 17700 miles when I got it. I'm already up to 20k.

470 cu.in., 4spd,373:1 geared, manual steering,manual brakes. Carburetor/no choke. Yep..gotta actually drive this one. Make sure you point it straight before ya hit the right pedal!! Lots of fun!

Edit: Be prepared to shift! The thing RPMs like a chainsaw!

Last edited by Dcuda69; 11-10-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    470 cu.in., 4spd,373:1 geared, manual steering,manual brakes. Carburetor/no choke. Yep..gotta actually drive this one. Make sure you point it straight before ya hit the right pedal!! Lots of fun!

Edit: Be prepared to shift! The thing RPMs like a chainsaw!

That looks like a ton of fun

Thats a bad lookin ride dcuda!!!!! My fav car of all time is the 68 mustang fastback. Dream of havin one sum day lol

Thanks guys! That thing was a basket case when I bought it in the early 90s. I've turned wrenches my whole life and have a bunch of good friends that helped me. I did all the motor machine work at my buddies shop using his Rottler block center. I did all the assembly work as well(with his help). Another buddy helped me go through the trans and rear end. I'm not a body guy so yet another great guy grabbed it from me and did all the body/paint work. It still needs a ton of trim TLC but it's likely as done as it will get....not willing to spend a ton of cash on trim pieces that are made of unobtanium. I'll just have fun banging gears and leaving black marks!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Sumtimes they look better without the trim lol. Ive got an 84 f150 4x4. Ive got alot of work to do on it. Its a northern truck, so its seen its share of salt and sand from winter drivin. Got a complete suspension bushing kit waitin to be installed lol

We've got a Tesla Model S 85... you dont need tcs at all when you're driving it

its like an rc car but bigger. a lot bigger.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    We've got a Tesla Model S 85... you dont need tcs at all when you're driving it

its like an rc car but bigger. a lot bigger.
    I would love to look at a tesla. I have seen them driving around cedar rapids but I've never seen one up close.