New Rustler VXL dies 4 feet into launch

Bought the new Rustler VXL about 5 weeks ago and out of the box it intermittently dies for a split second when trying a full throttle launch.

From my description Traxxas support sent me a new motor and Esc. The new parts did not solve the problem. The local HS suggested I try my buddies 3 cell Lipo which I did. It seemed to cure the problem but I really don't want or need the crazy power of the Lipo. Wondering if the problem can be solved so I can use the out of the box nickel hump battery.

Thnxs for any ideas or suggestions.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's the esc. Kind of stutters doesn't it. Then takes off? It's just the esc is not quite 3S ready. I bet it runs fine after about 5 minutes

The local HS says it is cogging. With the Lipo in there is no cogging. With the nickel hump there is.

I'm just surprised that a quality vehicle like this comes out of the box with a Cogging issue. Do they all have this glitch or is just mine??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cogging is a nonissue at full throttle. Can you answer my questions please. Maybe a video?

Sounds like the electronics are going into brown-out under hard throttle, causing your electronics to stutter until it get up to speed. The 3S is giving it more voltage, which is why you are not seeing it with that pack. It is weird that this is happening to two new VXL systems, recommend checking your drive train and making sure nothing is binding. If not, a glitch-buster capacitor pack) or external BEC should fix your problem.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cogging is only an issue under light throttle and low speeds. It's just how brushless sensorless motors act. If it seems more like a hiccup with a 3S lipo the esc will be the culprit.

but I really don't want or need the crazy power of the Lipo.
    You don't need to go 3S, 2S will do fine as it is the same voltage as the hump back NiMH. I have seen this quite often when using a NiMH vs. Lipo.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Thnxs all for your thoughts. I decided to check out the slipper clutch. It was only a 1/8 of a turn of full tight. I have backed it off a half turn to test. Unfortunately the weather is cold and I can't get enough tire grip to wheelie for a true test.

The other day when weather was warmer I tried a 23T pinion gear which did solve the problem and in contrast going to the optional 27 T the problem was very consistent.

RC Qualifier
    Cell going bad in the stock pack.

Check gear mesh, make sure ESC is routed to the right channel (CH2) IN the right direction, and/or recalibrate your ESC.

The reason you might not be getting full power is probably because the transmitter wasn't calibrated right. Hold the ESC button down until it turns red, release it, and it will blink once. Press full throttle, then once the ESC blinks twice, press full brake OFF of full throttle (never release the full throttle until it blinks twice. The ESC will calibrate it wrong, and you won't have good acceleration or braking).
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Cell going bad in the stock pack.
    Thnxs for the tip B94. I seems likely but I have two almost new hump nickel packs and both are showing good charged voltage and using both packs the problem is there.
    Rustler VXL, 3s, Mid Engine, Road Rage

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    Check gear mesh, make sure ESC is routed to the right channel (CH2) IN the right direction, and/or recalibrate your ESC.

The reason you might not be getting full power is probably because the transmitter wasn't calibrated right. Hold the ESC button down until it turns red, release it, and it will blink once. Press full throttle, then once the ESC blinks twice, press full brake OFF of full throttle (never release the full throttle until it blinks twice. The ESC will calibrate it wrong, and you won't have good acceleration or braking).
    a good suggestion Merv, Both the LHS and myself have tried the calibration but with no success. Appreciate your thoughts and idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    You don't need to go 3S, 2S will do fine as it is the same voltage as the hump back NiMH. I have seen this quite often when using a NiMH vs. Lipo.
    Hi Jerry. The LHS suggested the same thing and I may consider that in the near future. I just wish the pavement would warm up so I can get out there with some decent traction and do some testing. Just spinning my wheels is getting me no where....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
    Thnxs for the tip B94. I seems likely but I have two almost new hump nickel packs and both are showing good charged voltage and using both packs the problem is there.

I had the same issue as you on my VXL Rustler and my packs "read" ok too. I switched to new 2s lipo's......problem gone.

However, I did use the same "problem" packs on my XL5 stampede for months later until they finally did the same thing in that too.

Just food for thought.