RC Competitor

Question Gearing for a Mamba X 2400kv?

With the project I'm working on, I'm building an anza chassis slash with a mid-motor mod, and plan to get the Mamba X 2400kv setup soon. I was wondering, what gearing would be best? It will be 4S with a 54t spur, and I want to buy two pinions, one for normal street driving/sliding and one for high speed runs (not going for any records, just something to hit at least 80 when I want it to).

Suggestions? I'll be picking from the Robinson racing lineup:
    http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...nion.html#86xx

RC Qualifier
    The biggest you can fit. I think 28t with 32p was what i used. It gave the car less
    Torque. I gave up with the 2400 too much breaks, and i had a very loose slipper.
    The diff gears always broke even with the max punch control. Get a smaller motor.
    I run a a 2680 kv on my car on 4s it has just enough torque. or try a 2 pole motor

RC Qualifier
    Dont even try metal drive shafts its too much weight on the brittle diff sun gears. Use the 4x4 ones and put a 8/32 bolt in the shaft hole and cut it off. This strebghens them a bit without lots of weight

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I have this exact system in my Sla2h that I run on my technical off-road track. I use these 32 pitch gears: 15/58. The only way to know what is right for you is by taking temperature measurements. I can send you, via PM, more info if you need it.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    I can see that the diff gears are the weakpoint on this vehicle class, but I find it hard to think that a 2650kv motor would be better at saving parts than responsible driving. Also the larger can size of the 2650kv means that I would have to cannibalize my transmission case and possibly have to raise the entire rear assembly just for it to fit, which seems like a no go. I will most likely get 3s and 4s packs to test strength/drivability between the two, and I'll definitely be picking up the largest 32p pinion I can find.

RC Competitor
    It MIGHT just barely fit without raising anything, but I would still have to dremel the case and possibly shave a millimeter deep rut on the chassis

RC Qualifier
    Not a castle motor a smaller one with a 3660 can size not the large castle 2650kv, something like a g force 2700

RC Qualifier
    I have been heat treating my diff gears too harden them. It's helped a bit. Torch them until red and put them in oil 2xs. Bad horse diff lube has also helped slow down the gears a bit. Just be careful or you ll break them fast. I did love the 2400 motor though.

RC Competitor
    Interesting approach. If I break them I’ll look into that. I will be using heavy silicon oil.

RC Competitor
    By that I mean in the diff, not cooling. Is there accurate data for cooling periods with hardening these gears or do you just do trial and error?

RC Qualifier
    Heat until red then put in oil , repeat check hardness with file , done