Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sweetness! I hope you enjoy the Slash...I have a lot of the same stuff in my p4de... Not quite all that... You have covered all base's my friend.....Very Nice!
    Choose Life !!!

Very nice sir! many hours and dollars went into this Slash. Hope you have a good time with er. I have this same setup as you do. Here I will show you.

Just kiddin! This is a Integy motor mount and plate. Beefy thing it is. Thats it! just kidding I do have some of your exact setups..... Once again Have fun.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by js1badsti View Post
    shack has given you the perfect combo-- mmx w/ 2200 is what I have in my rigs also and he knows a lot about castle so if I were you thats what I would get.Be forewarned 4s on that setup is crazy and like everyone has said 6s will be breaking stuff left and right and you will probably get frustrated with your slash at that point.
    Yeah, bashing on 6S is nuts! If you use the same drivetrain components as I mentioned, the breaking of parts wont really be from too much power, it will be from too much speed! With the right tires, you get going so fast... so quick, that things like trees, fire hydrants, sign posts... you name it, will begin to jump out in front of you even more so than they did before. And that's just the stationary objects. Small jumps and such that were ok before are now more, um, dangerous. While on 6S, I hit a spot in a field I like to bash in on 4S and literally did 40-50 cartwheels before it came to a stop! Was very lucky nothing around to hit and only ended up with a broken arm. I haven't done it in a few months but from now on, I treat bashing on 6S like a speed run. You have to film it because you never know what's gonna happen. And I agree with you, bashing on 6S all the time would probably get you frustrated and drain your wallet!

-Shack

RC Racer
    yep my problem is I still run 12mm hexes and bashing on even 4s when I get traction it rips the hub hex out of the wheel eventually.I would totally destroy mine if I tried to bash on 6s lol.

I here ya! I had to move to 17mm because I was rounding-out my 12's and that got really old. Even with the CC 2028 on 8S, I have yet to strip a 17mm wheel. I just wish that the wheel selection for 17's was better.

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    I'm pretty excited. About this build. Mostly about seeing data logs. Curious to see what different bodies do maybe?

And i will say this build is way to rich for my blood lol. I'm curious to see how much data from this build I can apply to my own project. I'm familiar with 4s but never ran 6s let alone 8s. Also never built anything for pure speed before so hopefully I don't break to much stuff lol.

But keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks brother and I'm pretty excited about it myself! I have been wanting this type of data for a while now. I've temporarily switched from building the rig to coding. That part should hopefully be finished soon. Then there's the various data frames to be merged for (visual) analysis. I have never used some of these boards (sensors) and there is a definite learning curve here. I like doing this stuff but I just can't seem to find the time I need to move things along faster. And now that Christmas is here, I have about 10hrs or so in setting up all the LED lights outside that I told my wife I would do! She already thinks I have "issues" with the amount of time I spend on this junk. She will walk into my office or workshop and almost always see me doing something RC. She has jokingly told me that she would understand if I wanted a divorce so that I could just go marry Traxxas!

-Shack

I really wish I spent more coin on my rc stuff. Especially lately I've had a big itch for it. But it seems like everything I'm into costs a pretty penny, so I have to share the funds. But here are some of my other hobbies. I've spent alot on my jeep recently. Had to replace the transmission, and rebuild the transfer case as well among things that I just WANT to do. But now that it's up and running again and I'm decently happy with my gun collection for now it's time to give my rc collection some love once again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    Nice build

RC Competitor
    I’m anxiously checking for updates every day!

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleeon View Post
    Nice build
    Thanks, we'll see how it all comes together!

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by Svtcobra View Post
    I’m anxiously checking for updates every day!
    I like your name! I use 600HPSVT on other forums that I frequent. Anyway, things are moving at a snails pace. Incorporating all the sensors and writing the code has been much more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Capturing the "live" data is the easy part. It's the organization & presentation of said data that is challenging. There are also lots of LED lights that I want RX control of but still need programming. I hope to be done with the electrical in a week or so but Christmas season does not leave much me-time. Fortunately, err, I think... I am an insomniac and I really enjoy late night/early morning quiet time to concentrate without distractions.

The parts build itself will go much faster and believe me... I am salivating to get back on it. Even with weighing and/or measuring each piece and recording it, the rig itself will get built in a day or three. Since I just ordered another motor and esc, I might be changing a few things up!

-Shack

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Thanks, we'll see how it all comes together!

-Shack

I like your name! I use 600HPSVT on other forums that I frequent. Anyway, things are moving at a snails pace. Incorporating all the sensors and writing the code has been much more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Capturing the "live" data is the easy part. It's the organization & presentation of said data that is challenging. There are also lots of LED lights that I want RX control of but still need programming. I hope to be done with the electrical in a week or so but Christmas season does not leave much me-time. Fortunately, err, I think... I am an insomniac and I really enjoy late night/early morning quiet time to concentrate without distractions.

The parts build itself will go much faster and believe me... I am salivating to get back on it. Even with weighing and/or measuring each piece and recording it, the rig itself will get built in a day or three. Since I just ordered another motor and esc, I might be changing a few things up!

-Shack

600hpsvt? Is that in reference to a raptor, gt500?

Mine’s a ‘04 Cobra ‘terminator’ Convertible.

2004 SVT Lightning. My best dyno run was actually 596hp but I embellished 4hp because I like the even 600HP figure. I've done a few small things to it since then so I'm probably a little over that now. It gets really bad gas mileage so my new Traxxas rigs help to satisfy my need for speed without the speeding tickets and the price for Mach110 fuel!

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Shack,

It looks like we have similar builds. I'll try to get mine posted up tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing your results!

-Liberty

I've officially made the decision to stick with the CC2200 in my Slash so I have a CC2650/MMX combo (010-0145-04) in excellent condition to offer up in the Marketplace. Used it for maybe a month or so in my Platinum before I dropped the 2200 in. Actually have another sensored CC2650 as well that is brand new, never installed. The wires have been reversed and shortened to fit the MMX.

Will be adding them shortly in case there's any interest here on the forum.

-Shack

The motor/esc combo has been removed from the marketplace by Traxxas. Even though Traxxas has used Castle products in some of their offerings, if it doesn't say Traxxas on it then it is against the rules to post it. I wanted a fellow Traxxas forum member to have first dibs but Traxxas doesn't see it the same way and their position must be respected. I will put it on ebay after Christmas.

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Hey Shack, I'm not really in the market for more motors and a Esc. But if you don't sell them on EBay keep me in mind. We could possibly work something out. I don't know how to Pm anybody. But I could probably figure it out. Thanks Brother.

Hey fellas,

Just got the new Hobbywing EZRUN MAX5 and it is big! I thought the XLX was stout but this thing is a beast! It fits very nice low/deep inside the chassis which I like for maintaining the LCG benefits. The XLX is still going to power the CC 2200Kv rig but I am going to use the MAX5 with my new TPP5850 for a rig I am building simultaneously. Not that anyone really cares but the reason for the delay in the build getting further along is a kitchen remodel job that was unexpected because of flood damage. Long story short, insurance was going to pay almost $3K for just the labor so it was like DING..DING..DING, I will do the work myself and put that money towards Christmas gifts and, of course, more RC stuff!!! Lots of nights and weekends but it's almost done now and I only have some tile and back splash work to be finished up. Anyway, here's a few pics of the MAX5 in the modified tray. Never tried one so I am going to put a gyro on this rig to see what it's like.

-Shack

Last edited by shack351; 12-24-2017 at 01:16 AM.

That thing is huge!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    oh yeah, shack, it says in your first post, that you are running xo1 knuckles? i thought those were 6mm not 5mm of the mip x duty?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    oh yeah, shack, it says in your first post, that you are running xo1 knuckles? i thought those were 6mm not 5mm of the mip x duty?
    Hey Jimbo,

All you need is a simple bearing swap to make them work. Here's a few pics.

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have the regular aluminum, so really no issues

you have boots and your mips are shiny

I have the regular aluminum as well but this design with larger bearings, so I have found, reduce vibrations better and just feel a little better. Traxxas didn't design them and put them on the XO-1 for nuthin!

-Shack

Hey shack, where did you get that boot for the X-Duties?
    "Gone racing"

Those are from a Traxxas 6757 CVD rebuild kit. I tried several different varieties but these probably fit the best. I plugged the female bone on the inner-side with a small piece of foam and I'm using a thin diff lube inside the booted area. They run quieter, stay clean and are mindlessly simple to service if you want to try a different lube inside. I tried several kinds of oils and grease but the diff lube worked best for me. No leaks after almost 2 months.

-Shack

Man! You sure are keeping yourself busy with all of these builds. I find it very entertaining to watch them come together. I am liking the XO-1 parts on the Slash 4x4. I have given it thought for years. I may have to bring myself to do it. By the way, I also have insomnia
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Those are from a Traxxas 6757 CVD rebuild kit. I tried several different varieties but these probably fit the best. I plugged the female bone on the inner-side with a small piece of foam and I'm using a thin diff lube inside the booted area. They run quieter, stay clean and are mindlessly simple to service if you want to try a different lube inside. I tried several kinds of oils and grease but the diff lube worked best for me. No leaks after almost 2 months.

-Shack
    Well thought out. I might just be stealing that idea next time I rebuild my X-Duties.
    "Gone racing"

I didn't want to tread on the General's post so I will add here. I've been looking for yet another high-end cap-pack that will support 12S and I came across a guy in Granbury, TX who said he will make me a custom pack for $100 that will supply all the juice I could ever want! Uh, sounds a little pricey to me but he said only the best components will be used which includes capacitors made by a brand called ELNA. Never heard of them but a Google search showed the prices for them at about 20x... or more, what the cheap ones cost for the same spec'd cap. He sent me a video for a line of taser products he said he helped develop a few years back to control cattle that supposedly use these high-end caps. I had thought I was going to be seeing something that had to do with an RC setup but no, not quite. Totally off-base but I had to include the video he sent me!

-Shack

Is he saying that he will be using the same capacitors for your build?

What's up buddy,

He mentioned the brand but did not actually specify exactly what capacitor would be used. I'm going to contact him after the 1st and get some details. I just want to know what makes it worth $100! Hopefully he will reveal that.

-Shack

I understand that! For that money it has to be the absolute best! You can go to your local Fries Electronics and build one for a fraction of that price. Man! It is cold here Lol

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build. I love the tech parts the best. Are you going to put a sensor inside the body. I would be very interested to see just how much pressure gets inside at a buck fifty. I used pressure Gage's inside my engine compartment on our race car. I found a ton on pressure buildup along the firewall. I cracked the rear of the hood open about a half inch. It killed about 5 psi and created a small pressure area that helped the air go over the roof smoother. We did tape and yarn. Kind of low tech but it got us from 196 to 202. Internal and wheel well pressure and air flow hold big gains in these I am thinking.

Thank you sir! Initially, no sensor will be in the "cabin" area. One is definitely going in the bottom rear and maybe on the top rear as well. I would like to add them all over but I'm taking it slow. I have programmed Arduinos for LED effects and a variety of other sensors but this is a new venture. Capturing the data is one thing... presenting it is another. I want to slice it and present it in such a way that anyone can interpret what they're seeing. I am trying to pick the brains of some guys in my Arduino dev community that have a superior grasp on how best to proceed with this. The R & D is very time consuming.

I am about ready to begin the parallel build... two similar setups but with very different powertrains. One will be an XLX/2200Kv Castle rig while the other will be a HW MAX 5/TPP5850 combo. I've got a bunch of new parts on the shelf and I can't wait to get moving. Almost done with what I call a "wife" project that's put me way behind but by the end of January, I hope (LOL) to have these rigs about done. One rig is for a gentleman overseas... and he is getting impatient. I don't blame him and I hope he doesn't try to back out. I don't want to disappoint but I had some serious water damage that required a gutting of my kitchen and den and that obviously takes precedence.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with "air'! There is no doubt that air flow around the rig is my top concern. Making the power is easy... getting it to the ground and keeping the rig from going airborn is something else entirely. I have made a wind-tunnel, of sorts, with the help of some buddies and the results were interesting to say the least! We'll see how it goes.

-Shack

Ahhhhh... finally got me some TP POWER for a speed rig! I really like my CC 2028 (800Kv) but this baby is custom wound to my specs and will hopefully perform like the beast it looks to be... on 6S! Shouldn't even need to go 8S but you never know! Makes the CC 2200, which is an awesome motor, look like a baby.

-Shack

Very nice! Can't wait for your updates on how that beast runs!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 01-02-2018 at 10:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok even tho this isn't my rig I'm in love with that motor!!! So kool!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks my friend! I am foaming at the mouth to get my wife's kitchen done so I can get BUSY! It is painful to see all these parts collecting dust! Plus, I have a customer that wants his Slash like yesterday. If the counter tops are delivered by Friday, I will be spending all weekend, day and night, to get the kitchen done. I think I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms from not enough Slash time!

-Shack

I know, I know... I know... but... it is fun to look at! This is the hardware that I have.

430.12 MPH!
    You have to get that on vid!

That is the mechanical potential, but....... zero outside factors included! The main thing to show here is that the vehicle will have what it takes, from a power standpoint, to get me over 200mph. Wind resistance can be overcome, for sure, but that is just the beginning. Aerodynamics, aerodynamics, aerodynamics... that is my biggest challenge. And this is assuming that the tires will hold up. The forces trying to rip the tire apart at that kind of speed are almost unfathomable! A valve stem cap on a Bugatti Chiron that only weighs a few grams, going 240mph, weighs the equivalent of about 15lbs!

This is also why a place to drive anywhere even close to this speed is hard to come by. I have been talking to Joe Ford @ Castle for a while now and he said he would like to come and witness the speed run attempts. This will take place at an old, but in good shape, military airfield near Denver that has multiple runways that are almost 60ft wide and over a half-mile in length. I plan on having two, maybe three, Slash speed rigs all with different motors/bodies so hopefully I can keep one of them from getting airborn!

-Shack

RC Competitor
    Yikes! I have a decent understanding of aero, with flat underbodies, diffusers, spoilers, and canards all contributing to high downforce, spoilers and canards increasing drag and underbodies conserving drag while still increasing traction. At speeds pushing 200mph, do plastic bodies even hold up without significant bending/vibration? I feel like wings could bend or tear off, but I wouldn't know. I'd like to hear what you plan to do.

That motor and ESC combo could tear that car in half! LOL

I want to do something similar - an on road 4x4 Slash or Rally, but with a sane powerplant.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast